pig won't start....would like some opinions: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1971 pig has been a project truck that I bought 6 months ago +/- but have not begun to work on it yet. Before that, it sat for several years with very little use.

After I bought it, it sat in the driveway but once a week or so, I would go out and start it up and drive it up the street. All in all, it ran pretty well at that time and after a few pumps of the pedal, it ALWAYS started right up and idled fine.

Then, about two months ago, I ran it out of gas and (insert , "your a dumb*$$" comments here)....I let it sit. Since it had always ran well before that, yesterday, I thought I could throw a gallon or two of gas in it and it would start right up.....wrong. I believe once or twice, it fired up and ran for a few seconds, that's it.

I should say that the fuel level through the site window on the carb is almost too the top. Also, the choke cable is either incorrect or broken and needs to be replaced so currently, the choke is stuck open.

In my VERY minimal mechanical analysis, my guess is that I may have sucked some dirt up from the bottom of the gas tank that made it's way into the carb? I also noticed that the volume of fuel spray when operating the throttle and looking down into the carb seems restricted?

If that is what happened, then I am trying to decide the best course of action? or, some of you may have other ideas as to what happened?

I thought a good place to start would be to replace the fuel filter and choke cable and go from there!?

In using the search feature here, carb problems seem common but would like to hear the thoughts here. Thank you -Lee

If your fuel level in the bowl is over half-way or more, your float is stuck down, letting fuel in. It could just take some LIGHT tapping to get the thing un-hung, or maybe unscrewing the jet plug and gently lift it up w/ a small bit of wire, this will also drain the bowl. I think you want the level to be about 1/2 full; too much will spill fuel over the rim and flood you out. You may want to just take the top off the carb& clean things out, check and reset you float level. My float got stuck open when I let it sit empty for a while. While you might get lucky w/ the easier options, you will get results w/ the latter option. Also, running dry will allow all that rust & stuff to get taken forward, it is very possible that you'll get a clogged air bleed or jet, and that will mess up the way you rig runs. I was told to search for Oklahoma Rebuild by Pin_head. Choke stuck, or choke cable stuck?

I should say that the fuel level through the site window on the carb is almost too the top. Also, the choke cable is either incorrect or broken and needs to be replaced so currently, the choke is stuck open.

Fuel level is too high and may be flooding the engine. The float may be stuck or the needle valve not sealing because of dirt. Try rapping on the carb at the fuel inlet with the handle of a screw driver. If that doesn't do it, remove the fuel line at the inlet and spray in some carb cleaner. If that doesn't do it, take off the top cover of the carb and clean the float, needle valve and inlet screen.

Either the choke butterfly shaft is frozen or the cable. Disconnect the cable at the carb and free up the choke with carb spray and lubricate the cable with motor oil or "dry slide" graphite cable lube.

Prime the engine with a table spoon of fuel before trying to start it to make it easier on your battery. Hold the pedal down when cranking. No sense cranking it if it doesn't fire right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom