Pics from the ARB Overland Training (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Camp the night before
DSC_8552_OlyWaFJ_Camp.jpg

Staged at Whistlin' Jacks
DSC_8558_stagedatjacks.jpg

Heading up to the lecture spot
DSC_8561_headingup.jpg

Lined up for lecture time
DSC_8563_linedupforlecture.jpg

Winch Safety discussion
DSC_8569_winchsafety.jpg

Winching Backwards
DSC_8571_winchbackwards.jpg

WillFJC
DSC_8581_Will_uphill.jpg

OlympiaFJ60
DSC_8583_Brandon_uphill.jpg

noworries
DSC_8587_noworries_uphill.jpg

Deputy Steve from the Yakima Co. Sheriffs office joined us in his Jeep
DSC_8588_SherrifSteve_uphill.jpg

FJSportfisher
DSC_8591_John_uphill.jpg

vkfzj80
DSC_8593_Victor_uphill.jpg

SteveFJ
DSC_8597_Steve_uphill.jpg

DSC_8599_Rearview.jpg

WillFJC recabling
DSC_8602_WillRecable.jpg

OlympiaFJ60 preparing a winch recovery (everyone had to perform a recovery at this point in the trail with the gear that they brought with them, winch, strap, whatever...)
DSC_8605_BrandonRecovery.jpg

OlympiaFJ60
DSC_8614_Brandon_recable.jpg

noworries
DSC_8617_noworriesRecovery.jpg

Sheriff Steve
DSC_8626_WinchinSherrifSteveJeep.jpg

FJSportfisher
DSC_8633_JohnsWinch.jpg

FJSportfisher
DSC_8634_JohnRecovery.jpg

Last edited:
Forest fire in the distance...
DSC_8611_ForestFire.jpg

My view for the day, Chris from ARB
DSC_8645_ARBChrisontheTrail.jpg

Living on the edge!
DSC_8647_OntheEdge.jpg

DSC_8666_OntheEdge2.jpg

DSC_8668_OntheEdge3.jpg

DSC_8670_OntheEdge4.jpg

One of the skills we performed was to have the vehicle owner spot, pick a passenger to verbalize the visual spot commands to the (owner chosen) driver who had his eyes closed... oh yea don't hit the cones either. ;p

DSC_8649_BlindSpot1.jpg

DSC_8650_BlindSpot2.jpg

DSC_8652_BlindSpot3.jpg

DSC_8653_BlindSpot4.jpg

DSC_8660_BlindSteve1.jpg

DSC_8664_MichealsToyota.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished taking this photo when WillFJC radioed that he was off the trail and needed help.
DSC_8672_ARBChris.jpg

WillFJC - Chris from ARB showed us how to do a pendulim winch recovery using Will's winch and OlympiaFJ60s behind him. Hopefully more folks have pics of this as my camera lens was dying a slow death at this point
DSC_8676_Willofftrail.jpg

Sheriff Steve at nightfall coming up "the hill"
DSC_8688_SherrifSteveNightfall.jpg

Our instructor Chris stalled his FJ60 (no EFI) 90% up this hill, I was next in line so I went up the left side (there were two paths, he took the right) to provide an anchor point from which to winch from. 6000lb FJ60 vs. 4500lb FJC means we needed another vehicle. WillFJC was next he headed up to strap to my front anchor point, rocks stacked behind all our wheels under load we were still trying to slide backwards, creepy feeling... It was a successful recovery but since Will & I were on the working end I have no pics, can't wait to see some!
DSC_8689_THE_HILLatdusk.jpg

In case you are wondering, we were on...
DSC_8683_Trail696.jpg

Very nice pics, I am not familiar to much with the other side of the pass.

Although a few weeks back we did take 70 from Greenwater all the way over the pass and dumped down close to Jack's, then we headed back West to home.

Looks like you had a great seminar.

Looks like some nice trails. Sorry I couldnt make it when I was headed out at 3am thursday I noticed that the land cruiser she drives had a flat so I had to stay and get it changed. never would have made it there by 7:30 towing the fj40 on the trailer. Which sucks because there was no 40's there. I guess its better off that I didnt go. after talking to Brandon this morning I hear you guys didnt get back to camp until a little after 9pm. A little far from the 6pm time. I would have been in a bad mood knowing I wouldnt be getting home until after 1am. Plus I probably would have gotten a fine from the sherrif in the jeep since i noticed that my tabs expired on the 40 2 months ago. I guess that flat saved me some money.

Last edited:
Awesome pics guys, I would love to see some more of me "stuck" off the trail. I had a great time and definitely appreciate the work that was put in to this class. Absolutely a first rate event.

Email from Chris Wood at ARB -

"To all who participated in my recent Level 1 In-Field 4WD Training class, I would like to extend a heart-felt thank you for helping to make the class so enjoyable for me. Though I generally get a lot of satisfaction out of teaching the class, what really helps is the level of enthusiasm and camaraderie the students bring. All of you had that in abundance. Beyond that, I know that some of the exercises pushed the comfort level for a few of the newer drivers, what impressed me was their personal resolve and the support of the group. I often say that this dynamic is the cornerstone of a safe, enjoyable off-highway trip. Well done!! I will be mailing out certificates of completion to all participants who want one.

I’ll look forward to meeting up with all of your for another outing. For those who are interested, I plan to conduct Level 2 training next summer."

:beer:

I talked to him a little about the Level 2 training. It is a two day course with fewer vehicles. He leaves his rig at home and rides along with each driver for a while and you will see a little more technical trails. Sounds like fun. I think I will have to have the 40 ready for that though.

I am definatly interested in level 2 training and would really like to see how many snatch blocks he would use to rig up a recovery scenario in a level two class :)

Anyone of have some pics or video of the hill recovery?

I have some just have not had time to upload them yet. I will try to very soon.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom