Picking up a 77 - need trip advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We’ve been cruising at 125-130 every day. I just looked over and my wife is doing 145 through South Dakota.

What RPM's are you running at? I find the speedometer can be affected by two many variables including tire size. Too high of RPM's for extended periods of time can make a Diesel engine grumpy.

Me too , id be lucky too ever hit 110 , anything else is too close too flat out for my likeing ...

Land Cruisers, especially diesel Land Cruisers, are "go slow and enjoy life" kind of vehicles and going 130 kph may not be in your best interest.

Ive find that driving them too fast for sustained periods pushes oil up into the air intake. My guess is the high rpms for long periods causes compression to leak past the rings and the pressure forces oil up the vent tube.
Only the US and Europe have highways where you can cruise at high speeds at 130kph+. These vehicles were designed for Africa,Australia and South American continents with a "get you there" brief.
They will go all day towing 2x their own weight at 2000rpms on bad roads

Sure - I don't think we were pushing any more than 2500 RPM while cruising. Only when we were going uphill and downshifted did we go over 3k. We were definitely under or around 2k at 120-125.

We were definitely under or around 2k at 120-125

Somethings out with your speedo or tachometer. I think mine is on 2280 @ 100kph and 2500@110kph approx. AFAIK ,these are running 4.11 diffs.
Download a GPS app with a speedo onto your phone or tablet. They are very accurate if you use them right.

Too fast for this type of engine, they are not made for it. Its why the 1HZ engines in mine trucks die.
I keep mine under 120kph for sustained driving.

Hello,

Good advise.

Naturally aspirated diesels do not burn fuel completely when running at high (over 900 m / 3000 ft) altitude, and puff black smoke. This incomplete burn may increase engine temperature. I have seen diesel engines lose power and die because of this kind of abuse at altitude.

The 1HZ is happy below 120 km/h. Beyond that it converts fuel into noise.

I would go easy on the gas pedal, especially at altitude or mountain passes. I would keep an eye on engine temperature as well. Last but not least, I would save fast driving for the time I get a turbo and intercooler.

Remember, driving a Land Cruiser is living life on the slow lane.

Juan

In my experience gearing makes a big difference. When I got my PZJ77 I wouldn't go over about 115kph because the engine wasn't so happy. However after changing the over drive ratio in the transmission I can sit happily in the 120-130kph pretty happily. (I run about 2200rpm, at 115kph)

So if your tach and speedo are correct then you are really lucky with the gearing for US roads. It really makes the vehicle a lot happier, and saves a significant amount of diesel.

Sure - I don't think we were pushing any more than 2500 RPM while cruising. Only when we were going uphill and downshifted did we go over 3k. We were definitely under or around 2k at 120-125.

Have you looked at the aluminium plate on the firewall. Diff should read K085 for 4.11 LSD(mainly Australia) K082 4.11 open diff or K084 4.11 locking diffs.

It’s a K085. I just checked the tach on the way home from the grocery, and it sits at about 2200 at 120. I’m back down around sea level as well.

Ive got ko85s (4.11 ) in both mine. ..in 5th gear on 31s 100 km is about 2500....on 33s its about 2300...
4th gear on 33s is 2700 i think and nearly 3000 on 31s

I think your speedo might be out alittle (often a sign its been wound back )

Well guys, I'm glad we had this discussion. Speedo is off by ~10mph. At 70mph, my speedo reads about 120 where it should be 112. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you have an EGT / pyrometer installed?

Probably not (also I'm not sure what that is...).

Last edited:
Well guys, I'm glad we had this discussion. Speedo is off by ~10mph. Thanks for the heads up.

Probably not (also I'm not sure what that is...).
EGT / Pyrometer measures your exhaust temps. which in a nutshell measures how hard your engine is working.
My observations having owned 1HZ powered Land Cruisers........
The 1HZ has fairly high operating temps. (These temps are out of sight, out of mind without a pyrometer)
These temps are very prevalent on inclines if you don't back out of the throttle.
Most Toyota water temp gauges are "mere suggestions" and by the time you notice an issue you "have an issue".

Probably not (also I'm not sure what that is...

In addition to what Charles said, the pyrometer has a probe that measure the temp of the exhaust. There is a good spot on the 1HZ exhaust manifold to have the hole drilled. They don't fit them to smaller diesels but the big Kenworths, Macks etc all have them and the drivers must watch the gauge and change gears to keep them at the safe temp.
Higher RPM through lower gears is better because you have more air flowing through the combustion chamber. Ive never bothered with one because I drive gently on the worlds flattest continent, but if I was travelling through mountainous territory I would.
The 1HZ pistons are quite soft on top, it acts as sound deadener. But you need to look after them.
Its hard to see in the pic but there is a red needle behind the orange needle that you set to the maximum allowable temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom