Phantom starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year I had a problem with my car - it started turning over during the night and since it was in gear it drove slowly against the handbrake into the fence. It was still trying to push over the fence when I woke. Since then, it has been to the auto elec and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong - tidied up some burnt our connections to the starter motor.

Since then the starter has behaved well - most of the time.

Last Saturday was another phantom start - cranking over and moving with just the starter motor. I quickly popped it out of gear and isolated the battery. The only way I could prevent the starter from engaging was to pull the start relay. So now I know that the problem is in the low current part of the start circuit.

I'm driving around without the start relay. I pop it in just to start the car, and then remove to drive. Sometimes I don't even need to turn the key to "start" as the circuit is already energised when I temporarily insert the relay. I can't afford the starter to engage while I'm cruising along at 3000rpm.

Anyone had experience with this problem? And where to start. The auto elec doesn't seem to have answers.

I've a 2002 GXL Wagon, 105 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom