Parts cleaner solvent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up a 5 gallon bucket from Napa for $70. It does get pricey but it actually works...

Gasoline is likely not a good idea for most, but Diesel fuel does work, is much safer, and is comparatively inexpensive as an oil-based solvent. Probably still dubious for inside use, though. If you want non-fuel, some generic concentrated industrial cleaner should work, be cheaper than custom products, and useful for other tasks. But some are reportedly damaging to aluminum. I've used both Simple Green and Zep and the former in particular when sprayed does a number on my lungs. But that is much less of a problem with a parts cleaner.

Simple green seeped through the paint in my parts washer and rusted the metal and made the paint slough off. I would recommend checking with the manufacturer of your parts cleaner to make sure it's compatible with a water based product.

I have never understood why people don’t just use the right stuff for the job... it lasts for ever in a parts washer in a home garage...reinventing the wheel over 70-80 bucks just cracks me up

I have never understood why people don’t just use the right stuff for the job... it lasts for ever in a parts washer in a home garage...reinventing the wheel over 70-80 bucks just cracks me up
That was my realization after ruining my parts washer. I thought it would be better for be health wise to use simple green, but just wear some gloves.

If you want to clean a single part, find a tray/bucket big enough to fit.
Then use GASOLINE. Its the cheapest and most effective. Just use your head and dont smoke or weld in the same area.
If you must use a fancy parts washer. Kero or mineral spirits will do the job at a greater cost.
So here is my soap box:
You guys all have brains and know how to make things happen. We dont need to be told a cup of coffee is hot and Gasoline will burn.
So use the grey matter between your ears and use the best product to clean off your grease. And thats gasoline.
Your dad and grand dad used it, so feel free to join the club.
Also when its done, you can gently spray it on your weeds. Its safer than round up.
Merry Christmas
Bobmo

What water based solvents are folks using that work good? I've got a large plastic washer similar to this that I may want to set back up soon. Used to use Hurri-Safe years ago and it worked good but seems to have been discontinued.

My experience is that none of the water based cleaners work as well as some version of kerosene or mineral spirits. Add some ATF to it and it seems helps with crustiness removal.

I wanted a petroleum based solvent for my parts washer but was appalled by the prices I found online; no stores nearby carried anything but the water based stuff. Finally found this at a Tractor Supply store for around $45, works great!
4053FA4A-5B92-4824-A6B4-EC6A6C249E7C.jpeg

folks, you may want to check the MDS of your favorite cleaners. Then again, it may be disconcerting to see the markup on basic solvents with a few drops of generic additives... But, eh, they gotta make a living too...

folks, you may want to check the MDS of your favorite cleaners. Then again, it may be disconcerting to see the markup on basic solvents with a few drops of generic additives... But, eh, they gotta make a living too...
Why, is that a high price on that PSC 1000 stuff? I haven't researched solvents recently enough to know, but it seemed like ~$9/gallon was decent for mineral spirits. What's hiding on the MSDS for it?

That was a generic comment about inflated prices and marketing, not aimed at that specific one. It makes little sense to me to buy an expensive name-brand cleaner that is 99% generic solvent. Lots of that around. Like a fancy brake cleaner I saw recently that proved to be just acetone basically per the MDS. Conversely, if you find a customized cleaner that is only fractionally more expensive than the base solvent, then great.

Product info attached here. Canola was previously used for automotive/industrial before someone figured out how to process it for cooking.

I work for a large oilfield company, we use Varsol for parts cleaning at work, as the MSDS is straightforward.

I have my own process for cleaning a batch of greasy parts. Our local pressure wand carwash here is closed-cycle, the water doesn't return to the city, but is filtered at the carwash for more washing.

I'll spray some degreaser on the parts and put them in a bucket and drive to the carwash. Selecting "engine degreaser" on the knob, i'll spray them on the floor, then going soap and rinse. Back in the pail, home to dry, now if i'm stripping them apart further or need more cleaning i'll use the partscleaner if I really have to.

It's a bit more running around, but less mess in the garage overall, and it keeps your solvent clean longer too.

IMG_0233.jpg

Product info attached here. Canola was previously used for automotive/industrial before someone figured out how to process it for cooking.

I work for a large oilfield company, we use Varsol for parts cleaning at work, as the MSDS is straightforward.

I have my own process for cleaning a batch of greasy parts. Our local pressure wand carwash here is closed-cycle, the water doesn't return to the city, but is filtered at the carwash for more washing.

I'll spray some degreaser on the parts and put them in a bucket and drive to the carwash. Selecting "engine degreaser" on the knob, i'll spray them on the floor, then going soap and rinse. Back in the pail, home to dry, now if i'm stripping them apart further or need more cleaning i'll use the partscleaner if I really have to.

It's a bit more running around, but less mess in the garage overall, and it keeps your solvent clean longer too.

View attachment 2189457
Thank you!

I wanted a petroleum based solvent for my parts washer but was appalled by the prices I found online; no stores nearby carried anything but the water based stuff. Finally found this at a Tractor Supply store for around $45, works great!View attachment 2183026

Same thing we use. Stay away from water mixed solvents. Evaporate quickly and parts flash rust sooner.

Back in my oilfield days Varsol and diesel were the go to's.

J

Varsol is basically just mineral spirit, isn't it?

Varsol is basically just mineral spirit, isn't it?

For the most part, yes; a little oilier than straight MS. We added 2 gallons of marvel mystery oil into our 40 gallon vat back in the day. Some used ATF instead of MMO. Kept the "foaming" down and was easier on the hands or skin when you got it on you.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom