Part time to full time conversion, anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am interested in a full time conversion for a 2016 HZJ78 Troopy.
Anyone did this before? Is it possible?

What transmission does your Troopy have? If it’s an R151 you’ll probably need to swap to an H150/151 from an 80-Series to get the transfer case to bolt up. Also, make sure the diff offset is the same for an 80 transfer case.

80 series diff offset is the same as 70 series but you may want to check on width as I think the 80 series are wider in the chassis.

If using old parts be sure to give the centre diff lock mechanism a check & rebuild, they can sometimes be a problem as those trucks get older & you may not notice it isn't working until you're really stuck.

Cheers
Clint

Hello,

It is possible. I remember reading a member from Australia attempted it in his 79 Series. However, he did not post what happened with his project.

Oddly enough, most 80 Series users change from full-time to part-time 4WD, not the other way around.

As mentioned above, if you go this way you may need an H150F/151F transmission and the transfer case. Make sure the center differential works properly.

Juan

Oddly enough, most 80 Series users change from full-time to part-time 4WD, not the other way around.
I could never wrap my head on why would someone do that. It seems utter non-sense, but everyone needs to satisfy his/her's own gremlins 😅🤣

I could never wrap my head on why would someone do that. It seems utter non-sense, but everyone needs to satisfy his/her's own gremlins 😅🤣

Hello,

I guess part of the rationale is fuel mileage.

Having three differentials to lock at will is a good thing in my book.

But to each his own.

Juan

Don't mean to be rude, but why?
Are you in serious off road conditions 80-90-100% of the time? It means much more fuel, much more wear in every direction. Let alone a fairly big, expensive job.

So far, I have only been convinced by the older constant 4wd subarus and that is for off road rally cars, imo. They were light. Had a brilliant mechanic mate who raised one. Unfortunately he had a diabetes low sugar crash whilst driving, it rolled and he died. Alas.

Come to think, maybe if I was a sick crazy Paris to Dakar racer , I would perhaps do it, if I had to use the current vehicle I have. In which I am not about to enter the race. I don't think I would win either. Still, probably something more purpose built for the task would be better.

I love hitting the hwy in 2wd and flying to the off road spot as fast and economically as my heavy lug would take me..anywhere. More of an all rounder with the selection of 2wd and 4wd hi/lo. Very happy.

Yeah, I guess each to their own, anything is possible. Campfire talk!, sorry 🌝🔥

Are you in serious off road conditions 80-90-100% of the time?
I am currently rolling two more cruisers - a 150 Prado and an 80-series.
Frequently swap them between my group of friends, owning mostly defenders and patrols.
I will discuss fuel economy first. There is no scientifically sound experiment to prove that there is, indeed, an increased overall economy.
As physics teaches us, it's the driving style, vehicle weight, and vehicle aerodynamics that account for the majority of the fuel figures. Driveline losses are negligible if the car is well maintained.

On the contrary, my experiments prove the opposite:
- Running my part-time Troopy with and without hubs locked yielded no visible fuel economy on a 500km round-trip that I do weekly while my son is on vacation at his grandparents. 50% highway, 50% mountain county roads. Checked multiple times.
- I have double the tire wear on the rear than on my other full-time 4wds, which means more frequent tire rotations and tires that will last less km.
- RWD is very unstable on slippery road conditions; everyone can confirm this.
- There is increased wear on the front and rear axle on part-time 4wd vehicles that have been wheeled offroad than on full-time 4wd. Maybe because wheeling in a permanent 4wd rarely you need to lock the center, and you usually unlock it immediately once you get unstuck. Wear is the same on full-time vehicles on which the driver permanently engages the center lock while in 4Low, though. Those guys are mostly part-time drivers who now drive or own full time and are not used to how it drives.
- Tight corners on rocky forest roads, especially off-camber, are really scary with a locked center (which all part-times are, basically).
- On part-time, there were a lot of occasions that I've witnessed when front hubs were found to be stuck just before hitting the trail. Never happened on a full-time.

As you can see, there are not too many advantages of a part-time 4wd. Part-time is a relic of the past when trucks were designed as RWD and 4WD retrofitted.
A full-time transmission solves all the increased wear disadvantages that a part-time 4WD has. Frequent rebuilds on full-time front axles are a myth.
And the best thing, it handles light years better on and offroad than any part-time, which translates into increased safety and reliability.
Especially on-road, you get neutral steering response, which is a very reassuring and relaxed driving experience, no matter the driving conditions.
As a driver of both, I cannot see what part-time offers that full-time does not deliver better.

^^^ I agree with this and would certainly convert my 70 to Full Time 4WD if it was easy. Add a Torsen center differential and it would be even sweeter.

Excellent retort, sticks it up me well and proper, fantastic points. I stand corrected with a good lesson.

Must admit, regularly going 40km on a narrow mud track, which is smooth at present from frequent log trucks is way better in hi4, very slippery otherwise.
All terrain tyres are better fresh, naturally, but I feel they last longer as I am mostly on tar.

About 70% nice manicured hwy, the rest mud or rocks. Don't feel the need for constant 4wd personally. Happy to carry a spare diff in the front from lack of use compared to the rear.

I have heard a few subaru folks complain about fuel consumption, but I honestly don't know much. I met a guy who was selling his hj75 and had a newer v8 troopy, he said the newer used even more fuel, but maybe he didn't look after them very well.
However I have experienced towing 1.5 tonne uphill in a v8 cruiser at 140kmh, most impressive. My 2h would not do that!

Wonder what sort of economy a constant 4wd cruiser gets?
I did not even know that the 80 is constant 4wd until yesterday, if I read right. Kind of avoided looking into the modern, preferring the 40's and early 70's due to the simplicity. What I feel capable of. Also I am a miserly tight a#se who hates spending money. Not too keen on electrical controls either. Head in the sand.

I get 11km/l traveling on the hwy cruising at 90-95kmh, in 2wd, 2h troopy. When I am in hi4 I use much more fuel, haven't measured, but certainly noticeable.
Thankful to learn something. Understand why someone would want to do it now.:)

Hello,

An ideal setup would be
  1. H2/2WD, all three differentials open.
  2. 4WD, all three differentials open.
  3. H4/4WD, center differential locked.
  4. L4/4WD, center differential locked.
I understand some Mitsubishi trucks have this setup. It is a good one.

Some Prados and Fortuners have the above setup minus the H2 option. So do some 80 Series. I have heard owners from all of them complain about the mileage, but I think it has more to do with driving styles and too many accessories.

Incidentally, I have heard fuel mileage complaints from Mitsubishi owners as well. I think it is the same issue as the Prado et al owners.

To the above setup I would add the option to lock front and rear differentials.

I think the designers stuck with the H2-H4-L4 configuration in 70 Series trucks because it is simple to operate and maintain/repair.

Juan

You can pretty much get that with Full Time 4wd with selectable front hubs (It might not be 'on the fly' though). I mean with H2/2WD, the center will be locked but it doesn't really matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom