Part number request HZJ73 radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for the part number for the radiator for a 1990 HZJ73 w/ automatic transmission

Thank you!

Supersedes -17161 and then goes discontinued.

I recommend using the MTM transmission radiator readily available from your Toyota dealership and installing an external transmission cooler.

Supersedes -17161 and then goes discontinued.

I recommend using the MTM transmission radiator readily available from your Toyota dealership and installing an external transmission cooler.
Hey @Onur would the dealership know what I meant if I read them your post? Would a US mechanic be able to understand it too? My radiator gave out yesterday on a short trip out of town and cruiserparts.net is saying they have something but it’s not OEM and would take 3 weeks to get.

Hey @Onur would the dealership know what I meant if I read them your post? Would a US mechanic be able to understand it too? My radiator gave out yesterday on a short trip out of town and cruiserparts.net is saying they have something but it’s not OEM and would take 3 weeks to get.
I just went through ordering a radiator from cruiserparts. The initial order was placed at the end of March. The first radiator arrived basically destroyed as it was just chucked in a single-wall box with one layer of bubble wrap. Its replacement, which took three weeks for me to learn, was on a ship from china with no firm ETA. Needless to say, I cancelled immediately. I try not to speak ill of a business based on a sample size of one interaction, but they weren't too great with communication. Search them here and you'll find some pretty eye-opening threads about them as an outfit which may help you to make a decision as to wether or not you want to proceed.

Go to your local Toyota dealership and order 16400-17080. That’s the radiator.

Then get a transmission cooler from any auto parts joint.

Route transmission cooler lines to the cooler.

Install radiator per normal.

Good to go.

@Onur is the transmission cooler required because the part available doesn’t include something that the transmission cooler does in its place? Or is it a recommended improvement? The mechanic said they tend to run cold in the winter. They normally work on big rigs so they were just wanting to make sure you recommended it because it’s needed vs recommended.

1. Yes, required. The A440F already sucks as it is.

2. The radiator you are getting does not have transmission cooler at the bottom since it is a manual transmission radiator.

Ergo, you need a auxiliary cooler to compensate for losing the cooler at the bottom of the radiator (or heater, depending on how you look at it).

is the transmission cooler required because the part available doesn’t include something that the transmission cooler does in its place?
1HZ's with automatic are rare beasts and so are the radiators. So basically you are getting the manual version and you need to buy a separate cooler. I had a manual radiator in my auto volvo years ago with a small cooler, worked fine.

I just went through ordering a radiator from cruiserparts. The initial order was placed at the end of March. The first radiator arrived basically destroyed as it was just chucked in a single-wall box with one layer of bubble wrap. Its replacement, which took three weeks for me to learn, was on a ship from china with no firm ETA. Needless to say, I cancelled immediately. I try not to speak ill of a business based on a sample size of one interaction, but they weren't too great with communication. Search them here and you'll find some pretty eye-opening threads about them as an outfit which may help you to make a decision as to wether or not you want to proceed.
What a terrible experience this must have been. I thought they were a lot more reliable than this. Thank you for shedding more light on the matter. When I talked to them about the radiator they probably sold you, the guy said he wouldn’t want it for his cruiser because it wasn’t OEM.

What a terrible experience this must have been. I thought they were a lot more reliable than this. Thank you for shedding more light on the matter. When I talked to them about the radiator they probably sold you, the guy said he wouldn’t want it for his cruiser because it wasn’t OEM.
It was just a bunch of lost time but this project, fortunately, is going at a sloth's pace so it was largely inconsequential to me.

@Onur should 16400-17080 work for an FJ73 also

No. HZJ7x trucks.
The inlet and outlet on the radiator are in the same spots but the angles are slightly off. The 1HZ radiator has an extra litre or so of volume as the lower tank is slightly larger. You could use the 3F rad in a pinch but the 1HZ is better. Mounting holes are the same.

Probably the king of 7* series radiators is this the HDJ7* aftermarket brass and copper job. Im fairly sure it fits into any 6 cyl 7* series engine bay with little or no mods.
The OEM HDJ7* rad is a plastic and alloy job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom