PART 2 - How Many FJ55s still on the road in USA ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My thought is like J Mack said, there's a lot of people with 55s that aren't on MUD. Look at all the older guys and gals who were active on MUD back when it started and just stopped posting, I bet they still have their wagons.

As far as saving a classic vehicle for resale or someone else to sell when I'm dead, here's my goal. If everything I own is worn out by the time my body is worn out then I did what I wanted to do. That's what the museums are for, let them polish the turds. :)

My thought is like J Mack said, there's a lot of people with 55s that aren't on MUD. Look at all the older guys and gals who were active on MUD back when it started and just stopped posting, I bet they still have their wagons.

As far as saving a classic vehicle for resale or someone else to sell when I'm dead, here's my goal. If everything I own is worn out by the time my body is worn out then I did what I wanted to do. That's what the museums are for, let them polish the turds. :)
DEAD ON ****ING POINT RON!!! YOU DA MAN 😉🐷ON AMERICA 🇺🇸.

we need a good hacker, break into all of the states motor vehicle stats and add em up, then add 5% for barn finds

i just got a new iphone 12, have not figured it out yet, deleted many messages, swearing at it a lot
That's the one makes me want to kick some young programmer right in the ass!

World sales

5931B634-292F-42BA-980A-B86561C24387.jpeg

8B5FB9CB-DCA0-4E40-B2A0-8D048BEB3FC7.jpeg

Best current guesstimation is that roughly ** roughly ** 10,000 55’s were sold in the US between 1967 and 1979.
I’ve yet to find the actual data sources that I’ve seen in the past, but I unmistakable recall that the ratio of FJ40’s to FJ55’s was 10:1.

The FJ40 registry as well as the CCOT website shows combined sales totals of 40’s and 55’s from 1973 - 1979 as being 62,206 which leaves the probability of 30 - 40 thousand units sold between 1967 and 1973.
Still searching for the correct data and will update when I find it.

Apologies for the earlier exaggerated misnumeration.
@OldBeachBob was involved with Toyota head USA office during the time they were importing the 55, he quoted me some numbers once when we were having a chat and from what I remember the numbers are low in the earlier years. If Bob wants to pop in and set the record straight I'll let him quote his numbers.

In the mid 90's I ordered some parts for my 79 55 from SOR and the guy there said they'd only imported 3000 of them in '79 and mine was 'rare'.... .02 worth

In the mid 90's I ordered some parts for my 79 55 from SOR and the guy there said they'd only imported 3000 of them in '79 and mine was 'rare'.... .02 worth
Are you sure it wasn't 300?

@OldBeachBob was involved with Toyota head USA office during the time they were importing the 55, he quoted me some numbers once when we were having a chat and from what I remember the numbers are low in the earlier years. If Bob wants to pop in and set the record straight I'll let him quote his numbers.
I've reached out to an old friend to see if he can get us those "official" sales numbers by year. He left Toyota only a few years ago. I left in 1983 after 14 YRS. With so many working remote = we'll need to give him a little time.

There are 2 at waterloo motors in warrenton, VA.
They've been sitting on his lot for years (decades?) with windows down. So sad. I inquired about purchasing and the owner just said "let me think about it, I have a special place in my heart for 55s". Not...

I think there are more than you think. I know of at least 4, J-mack, Adam aka the side something or other, Calvin and myself. and I live in (what used to be) a fairly un-populated state.

I've reached out to an old friend to see if he can get us those "official" sales numbers by year. He left Toyota only a few years ago. I left in 1983 after 14 YRS. With so many working remote = we'll need to give him a little time.
Well our corporate contacts tell us they only have sales lumped as "FJ". My buddy and I would guesstimate the number of 55s is l somewhat less than 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom