Parking brake troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I’m constantly having to re-adjust the park brake shoes on my LJ78 (rear disc with drum park brake) I bought news shoes and adjusters but it didn’t last long before they needed re adjusting again…

im thinking of replacing the rear calipers with ones with a built in park brake, has anyone got any recommendations that won’t require me to make all new brackets?

of course the other option is a transmission park brake but IMO they are not as good.

I think the park brake set up is more or less the same as most other Landcruisers, any info would be great 👍🏻

Sounds normal unfortunately...

I now have an 80 series rear axle, it has a similar but larger brake setup, & the same reputation for crapness. Terrain tamer actually make a 1.5mm longer strut to improve the park brake:

i-2PhqZ4w-M.jpg

This may even be the same part as the LJ, or you could try modifying your ones with a blob of weld & some grinding & filing. The other thing that improved mine was replacing the drums after I discovered that they were out of round. Then careful adjustment following through the procedure in the manual.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom