Pandemic Price Check? 2007 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post here, and its one that's been asked many times before... but I cannot help but ask again. This is to be my biggest life purchase by two orders of magnitude, to date (...besides education, ouch).

2007 LEXUS GX 470 HAKMAN AUTO SALES & SERVICE | Dealership in Dallas

I am looking at this 148k vehicle, seems pretty clean. I did a test drive the other day, and I can't find any odd noises and everything works like it should. Fairly clean, some honest interior wear but nothing major. I have yet to check out the underbelly of the beast.... the vehicle has lived in Connecticut, Vegas, and Mississippi so there is some potential for rust. All the systems, like airbag suspension, works perfect. Good service history, and was able to call some shops that worked on it and confirmed that belts and water pump were replaced at 57k and 107k. The car is fully loaded with features- I don't really care about them much but eh. The dealer is adamant that his bottom line is $12,300, OTD 13,200. That means he is charging about $200 for fees, which I am fine with as the DMV here in Dallas is impossible to schedule with right now. This price seems a little bit high, does anyone have thoughts? I'd like this vehicle as a daily and weekend fun car. Would likely do something like the OME lift + wheels/tires, after getting to know the car.

On a separate note, I have been really impressed with this forum as a resource. I've lurked since high school, lusting after a land cruiser for about 8 years or so now. Never had the funds in college, but now I am graduated and fully employed so it is time for me to get after it!!!

148k miles is pretty low so there is some value in that. You might be lucky and find one private sale for a little less but doubtful you will find one with lower miles unless it is in an estate auction.
Very important, get evidence of good maintenance when you are shopping. Look at all the records from Lexus and any 3rd party repair shops. Get it checked out by an independent shop you trust before buying.
I decided to go for a very well maintained older (2003) and higher miles (200k) example so the price was lower. Very pleased with my GX.

Used car market has never been hotter than it is right now, at least according to the auto sector leads I’ve spoken with at work. Sellers market right now unfortunately.

I got an 08 in June with 139k, single owner and full records with zero rust for under 11k. They were asking more but I negotiated down due to minor front/rear bumper damage, driver's seat torn, and every other slightest discrepancy I could find. If it's been in CT I would hazard a guess that it's rusty to some degree. I would find out what the undercarriage looks like and go from there, watch out for fresh paint/undercoating and ask questions if there is. Rust (or disguised rust) can be a real pain. Also can make sure no one has pounded it through the rocks. But figure out the fair value and then make an offer if you want it and tell them that's your bottom line maybe something good will happen. Used car dealers imo are harder to get good deals from they need to make a buck. New car dealers are easier to low-ball especially if they got it on trade-in. Private sellers can be all over the map. But stay patient, I looked for a long time, called on maybe 75, looked at about thirty, only made offers on a couple. If you can don't be afraid to travel for the right one

Checked it out underneath... not a rust bucket, but there is definitely rust. No sign of dents as far as I can tell. Considering this, I think 11 might be top dollar for the vehicle.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers and input, it’s great having some third party perspective.
A couple photos of the worse spots:
FEF171BC-20DF-49CD-B439-5B9C0B3E927C.jpeg
E6668096-9B6A-4AB9-BA42-4C04220C9367.png
2AB03394-3185-4CCB-A702-37954423E972.jpeg
07212F4D-F885-494D-B2FF-3BE290867FE5.jpeg
D07F6988-1FBB-4432-A597-CECA9C083FA0.jpeg

Looks fine regarding rust honestly. Maybe just clean it up a bit when/if you get it. As far as the price, like others have said, its a sellers market unfortunately so if you don't buy it I'm sure someone else will...

Passed on this one, thanks a ton everyone for your thoughts. I decided that I can't get over the rust, and since I have not been actively searching for very long I should look at more examples. I should be able to find something with little to no rust that is attractive (to me) in price per miles, well maintained, eventually-- especially here in Dallas and the surrounding area. Already have some more leads. The search continues.

Here is a silver colored one with 181K miles at a dealer for $8500 so it should have a good maintenance history. High sierra desert location out here so no rust.
Silver 2004 GX470
I also found an abused running white 2001 LX470 with 300K miles for $3200 in case anyone is interested a builder. White 2001 LX470

Here a couple in the KC area. I’m happy to drive them! 😋
now that I look, this is where we bought ours from in Augusta!

Good lookin out fellas!! There has been a couple smoking deals come through the dallas area recently, including an 06 in the sage/olive green color with low miles for 6700... it was sold in an hour and a half!! missed it by minutes. I'll check out what y'all sent, thanks a ton.

*note* if y'all think threads like these clutter up the forum, let me know. I don't really like price threads on forums typically (gets in the way of gear discussion often) so I am being mighty hypocritical....

But heres a few more I am thinking about.

A 460 instead, but not terrible price and looks clean. They are asking 16.7 OTD, which I would have to get down.

Wulffcruiser, I looked into the 2006 that you sent. Thank god for the Lexus service history portal, it looks like this one needs water pump and timing belt, and that the owner was just quoted 5k for a kdss issue. If I can get some serious coin knocked off that one I'd be interested, but that may be tough and it is far away. The dealer said his wife has been driving it the last year, maybe now he is trying to sell it because he sees those bills...

Wulffcruiser, I looked into the 2006 that you sent. Thank god for the Lexus service history portal, it looks like this one needs water pump and timing belt, and that the owner was just quoted 5k for a kdss issue. If I can get some serious coin knocked off that one I'd be interested, but that may be tough and it is far away. The dealer said his wife has been driving it the last year, maybe now he is trying to sell it because he sees those bills...
[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the price of replacing KDSS? Having trouble finding info, looks like it is also possible to swap in a conventional swaybar, but there is little info about this process (especially compared to the wealth of info on airbag suspension replacement). Yes, my noob status is showing.

That 460 has a VIN showing it wasn't originally sold in the continental US. Either Canadian, Puerto Rico or country further south.

Acrad, what did you use to pull that info? That's good stuff. A lot of reports I am looking at don't show where a car was sold, or registered. I know carfax does but I hesitate to pay for that on all the different vehicles I look at. Zeroing in on
VIN: JTJBT20XX60102047

One owner, but the autocheck that he provided doesn't say where the car has lived.

This build spec lookup will show you options.

Then enter the VIN in on Lexus site and you can see some history of vehicle as well

Dredging this thread back up. Lots of test drives/inquiries in the last few months, but prices had gone up and spotty vehicles with even spottier salesmen seemed to be rampant in the area. Curious if anyone has thoughts on this vehicle:

Here is the sellers description: 2006 Lexus GX 470 163k Modifications: 1” front spacer. Professionally aligned by Toyota of Alvin. – Alignment Printout Provided. Rear Air-Ride removed and replaced with FJ Cruiser Springs with a ½” top spacer. Metaltech rear conversion kit. Eibach Pro Sport Rear shocks for 2” lift. Falken Wildpeak AT3 275 70 17 with Toyota TRD Pro black wheels (4). TPMS sensors calibrated, and road forced balanced – Receipts Provided Installed at 159k miles Maintenance: Both Front and Rear Driveshafts replaced with Dorman OE Solutions branded replacements @160k Miles. – Receipts provided. Driver front Wheel Hub Assembly replaced with “Yota Bearings and Hub” branded hub assembly @160k miles- Receipts Provided Dash replaced under Lexus Recall Alternator replaced in 2017 @ 127k miles Air Injection Pump replaced in 2017 @ 130k miles Radiator Replaced in 2017 @ 130k miles A/C Evaporator Core and door blend servos replaced @162k miles – Receipts Provided Timing Belt/Water Pump replaced @163kmile. Timing Belt broke while driving at 35 mph. Had the GX towed to mechanic. Head Gasket, Timing Belt, water pump, tensioner assembly replaced. Head sent off to ensure no damage. New Spark plugs. This was done at an ASE Certified repair shop in Cypress, TX. – Receipts Provided. Same mechanic I have been using for twelve years. Roof rack has been deleted. I think I still have it and will go with new owner. Same for running boards. This is/was my wife’s daily driver. The Lexus has never seen dirt. We are selling as the vehicle does not get used as intended. Ultimately, we decided not to build this one up. This is our third GX. I’ve included photos of my last two builds. The Lexus is sorted and ready for someone to build. If the ad is still up, it is still for sale. I will not respond to messages asking if the vehicle is for sale etc. If you are interested, please message me your phone number and location. This helps weed the tire kickers. Thanks for looking. Good luck! Clean Texas Title. **Only Trades Considered Triple Locked 80 series/LX450, possibly FJ Cruiser** located in NW Houston TX. No rust! Lowballs will be ignored.

Obviously this is a massive red flag, but on the positive side the guy is up front with this, has receipts for service, and apparently put in the effort to get it fixed. Trolling the forums and internet there is actually very, very little about experiences with the belts breaking, just everyone saying it can happen and get the service done. Would this car now be a run-dont-walk situation? I am literally itching to get myself into a GX...

I respect that seller's ad and i bet that one has been maintained very well compared to a lot of the auction-flipped examples with the same mileage that are going for the same price if not more.

Undercarriage looks great, dash was replaced which is a plus, etc... I say go check it out and if you're picking up what he's putting down in person then do it.

You wouldn't like the price I paid for my 2004 here near ATL...but I got exactly what I wanted. And other than a set of leaky valve covers that I fixed by retorquing the bolts...it has been absolutely flawless. Took me over a year to find my rig...but when I did I jumped all over it. Probably overpaid...but I love this thing! And the interior and exterior look almost like new @114k. Someone really took care of this thing...Lexus shows it, as does the vehicle itself.

Good luck...hope you get as lucky as I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom