Painting NON show quality trail rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was ready to monstaline my roof which is typically faded. But it has crossed my mind to try spraying it. I have sprayed race motorcycle bodywork before and got results that were good enough for a race bike. To be honest that is about all i am hoping for. The truck looks OK but honestly gets washed about 2 times a year and is usually covered in dirt and grime. Plus this is only the roof.

So my basic plan would be to sand the roof with a orbital sanded with say 80, 150, 400? mostly to get all the clear off and get it as smooth as possible. Wipe REALLY well with MEK and spray a few light cotes of auto primer. Should i sand again and what grit at that point?. Then a few (3-4) light coats of color, wait specified time between coats and then a few coats of clear. Then wet sand a little after it is all dry. Is that about right?

I do remember the time i painted bikes, if i sprayed the clear to light it kind of just misted it and didnt get that smooth shiny clear look. Too heavy and obviously runs. Makes me think the color can go on nice and thin but clear might need a LITTLE heavier?

I hope this does not sound like i am asking "how do i do a s*** paint job". I am just being realistic with what i expect. I would have been happy to role on a liner up top. But the more i looked at it the color difference kind of breaks up the lines on the a pillars of the truck. So i figure it cant hurt to try spraying the OEM paint color. Besides, at some point i am going to repaint the hood. And that i will be willing to do more "proper" job.

I have wet sanded previouse projects with 240, 400 & 600
With the 600 "my buddies" in the paint booth where unhappy, saying it was "too smooth"... so next car I dropped out the 600wet.
80 & 120 I`d ONLY use on filler. Too rough elsewhere IMO.

I did not need to have to wet sand with upon completion, but I have know others wet sanding with 2000 & 3000 prior to machine buffing it.

It does come down to the quality of the job U want & what colour etc. Giving advice over such a distance is abit of a mine field
Best of luck

1450060429346.jpg
If you use single stage acrylic urethane you can skip the clear. and you can color sand and buff it, if you get orange peel or runs.
I like shop-line ptoducts I painted my truck in my garage
20140729_210019.jpg
20150109_113449.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom