Painting my rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiseOrlando

Conveniently Enhanced
Threads
Well, I've been thinking about this for a long time and talked to quite a few folks about it. I need to do something, however - I took off some paint up at GSMTR and I also have some clear coat issues on the roof. My sliders are starting to rust in places as well as the bumpers. Damn rocks!

I've talked to Luis about it, and he recommended painting the flares black since I want to go with a tan color for the body. At first I wasn't so sure... but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

I'm thinking about Monstaliner "Desert Sand" for the main body color.

I recently ran into this other thread over in the 80 section with one of the guys from Summit Cruisers... and aside from the fact that his rig looks too clean, this is exactly the look I'm going for. Not sure about the hood, but I already have the retro badge for the tailgate! So this is as close to my "new" vision as I've ever seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then he changed the front bumper as well....

attachment.php

Last edited:
Good luck with your project. Im around the corner on this as well. i was thinking about desert sand too, but I think I'll just go with light quartz grey since I'm 2 toning mine ( for now). I think it'll match better, plus my interior is grey,

Are you doing the whole rig or following the upper body line? What type of finish are you shooting for and what application method are you going to use to get it?

I want as smooth a finish as I can get. I don't care for the textured look too much. I can't get confirmation on how to get the smoothest finish. Some say spray with high pressure, some say roll once, with no reroll (as instructions say) some say roll , but with a standard roller for painting walls. I may just have to experiment on my hatch to determine which method to use. I wonder if this stuff will spray through a standard automotive sprayer if thinned a little.

Pat

I don't want too much of a texture. Really I want the toughness of the paint. If I could have a standard clear-coat paint job that stood up like the liner stuff, I'd do that!

Harbor Freight is getting into bedliner too. For $50 (or $40 with a coupon) you can get a gallon of it. But I don't know if it'd hold up as well... so I'm on the fence on that.

I think what I'm going to do is paint it with the flares off the same way, then paint the flares and put them back on. That way when (not if) I rip them off again, it won't be a big deal.

As for the line - I like the way this truck was painted. I think I'm going to try and mimic that same paint job, just with liner instead of real paint. But yeah, I'll be doing the whole truck once I get around to this job.

Is the HF Bedliner 2 part epoxy based? If so, Id give it a shot for my bumpers i it's tintable to save a couple of bucks. Don't know about for the body though.

It seems you and I have the same idea, to look as much like paint as possible, but with durability. If I can get a smooth finish, I'll do my whole truck, except the roof, it'll stay white.

Here's a few more colds options I found for Als liner:

http://www.repaintsupply.com/als_liner_bed_liner_color_sel.cfm

It can probably be used for monstaliner too. I may just go with Als since it's cheaper and this site has several color options as well. Also with Als, you don't have to mix the whole batch. You can mix a small portion and then save the rest. This will be useful because I have a bit of texture testing to do before I commit to doing the whole rig.

Pat

Saw this guy on my way home from work. His rig looked awesome (even with a textured finish)

Pat

image-2263535837.jpg

image-3085824677.jpg

image-2492276703.jpg

Yeah, there's just something about it, isn't it?

There's a lot of money in that FJ!

That is sweet looking, i often see a new model jeep that is completely RhinoLined which looks good. My scratches and dents will get fixed one day with a textured coating but I will always keep the roof white.

but I will always keep the roof white.

I'm debating that one. I do and don't like the look at the same time. It's also a 3rd color I'd have to buy for the project....

Carter
Are thinking of spraying or rolling? Just wondering as I have seen some interesting setup with smooth on the upper sections and textured on the lower.

You saw the interior on my 40. Its Durabak textured. From what I have been able to tell so far, its pretty damn tough. I had a plate that was done at the same time I put the first coat down, it sat in the back yard for over a year and a half and held up without any issues. I beat the hell of of it with a number of different things just to see what happened....nada. Ended up someone stole the damn thing. God only knows what for.

If you want, you can contact Durbak for samples and they send em out pretty damn quick. Hey, how did the ac go at your place? Hope its nice n cool now.

I could use some cooler temps over here as the damn heat has kept me out of the garage for longer than I wanted.

Heh! I haven't figured out the whole textured/smooth part just yet, but I like your suggestions.

One other thing that's holding me up is that I'm dreaming about a new flare for the 80. When I was at GSMTR, I saw a 40 that had DOM tubing rolled into the fender, which acts as a psudo exo cage. I thought that was a grand idea, and I'm slowly desiging this thing in my head. I think there's a way you can do it on the 80, and remake the flares so they actually provide protection by using some mount points in frame.

Anyway, the A/C is done. Got a Goodman/Amana system, and so far it's been great - two stage, and the 5T side hasn't been running much at all. Nice!

I heard this weekend is supposed to get into the 80's?!?! If so, I'm in the garage all weekend long!

Thanks Pat!

I love that rig! Wish I could afford to have it as well.

The only problem with that exo cage is that it adds (probably) another 6-8" on the width of the rig overall. There were some spots at GSMTR this year that we were barely able to fit thru with flares... of course I guess the trees would have just gotten out of the way with the exo on there... hah!

I'm *hoping* I can come up with some kind of compromising design that keeps the width as close to stock as possible. I'm not so sure it's going to happen, but that's my current dream.

-Carter

There a couple out there tubing for flares rather than a full Exo. Wish I could find them again.

Pat

I saw a 40 that had DOM tubing rolled into the fender, which acts as a psudo exo cage. I thought that was a grand idea, and I'm slowly desiging this thing in my head. I think there's a way you can do it on the 80, and remake the flares so they actually provide protection by using some mount points in frame.

If it's small dia tubing you'd like in the flare area, you could use solid round bar. Reason being it's super easy to work with. Just heat it with a torch and it bends smooth. No kinks. No tubing bender required.
Solid round bar is good 1/2" and under. Any bigger, and it's too heavy.

If it's small dia tubing you'd like in the flare area, you could use solid round bar. Reason being it's super easy to work with. Just heat it with a torch and it bends smooth. No kinks. No tubing bender required.
Solid round bar is good 1/2" and under. Any bigger, and it's too heavy.

Hmmm... I like that. That means I can even experiment with it in my own garage.

I guess the only problem is if you're re-entering the Earth's atmosphere it might heat up a bit too much and lose its form tho...

HAH!

Hmmm... I like that. That means I can even experiment with it in my own garage.

I guess the only problem is if you're re-entering the Earth's atmosphere it might heat up a bit too much and lose its form tho...

HAH!

What ?

I think I missed something .

What ?

I think I missed something .

Nah. I'm just not always on the same wavelength as everyone else when it comes to a conversation, that's all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom