Paella (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
I know there is some interest in Paella among the members here, and it's a good dish for camping out in the wild, so I thought I'd get a thread started. I'm hoping someone here can answer a question about the best Chorizo to use and a source for it.

I made this Paella using Mexican Chorizo as an experiment, and I have to say it was not bad, but real Spanish chorizo makes a more traditional dish. Now I'm in search of the best, so speak up if you know.

There is also controversy about rice. Valencian rice, La Bomba rice, and based on my experiments, short grain "calrose" rice is a dead ringer for paella rice and available everywhere.

Anyway, here is an entry. You'll notice I don't have a paella pan, and honestly the thick steel of the De Buyer pan makes a superior paella pan, it just doesn't look traditional. This was only my 3rd attempt so I'm looking for tips and tricks.

The meat ingredients are chorizo, chicken, shrimp, and salmon I had from last year's Alaska trip. I seared the salmon to 2/3 done removed, then back at the end. Cooked the chicken shrimp and chorizo and removed. THen made the sofrito with garden tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers-red and green.

I made my own stock with the chicken bones, some duck bones I had in the freezer from our last Costco duck (BTW-the fresh ducks they have recently had at Costco are excellent) shrimp shells, and salmon bits.

Spices-I used smoked paprika, hot pepper flakes. Added saffron about 20 minutes from the end.

The rice-I didn't have any La Bomba rice, so the calrose was it. Honestly, I could not tell the difference between the $5/pound La Bomba, and the $0.50/pound Calrose.

So post up any hints and tips. I'll be making a version in DV in the fall--but with fresh salmon.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Master Paella maker Eduardo's superb creations every year at our OysterFest parties on the beach! I remember one year Eduardo brought back some special egg noodles from Spain and made Paella using them instead of rice: Fideua!

Alvaro made us a wonderful Paella at the Doll House a few years ago too!

Good thread Andy! Can't wait to taste your Paella!

DSC_3095.jpg
DSC_3109.jpg
DSC_3139.jpg

Tom's paella was pretty good if you ask me!

Look forward to following this thread as i'd like to toss my had into the Paella ring one day soon.

Great pics of Eduardo. He is the master of Paella.

I'm still a padiwan, but working on it. I can already see, it's a technique not a dish, and almost anything you have can be put in it.

Maybe we can cajole Eduardo into giving a few of us a lesson or three!

Great thread!

What I strive for in Paella is the flavorful Sofrito along with the big challenge: Socarrat (rice crust)

Not stirring the rice, watching the heat at the end and the finish is key!
Hey good idea :idea: - The 14" mineral B might be a perfect home Paella pan!

My 36" steel pan has been hanging since the last Oyster Fest - I got to get out more...:crybaby:

Pasquale-the 12 inch pan I used easily had 4 pounds of paella in it-and enough for 4 easily. The 14 I'll bet could feed 6 or even more, especially when you consider how deep the De Buyer pans are.

To get the crisp on the rice, I cranked the heat at the end for just a moment, and it worked perfectly-that was a tip off the internet somewhere.

Not to Hijack the thread, but what was the breakfast dish you made the last day on HITR where you torched the top pasquale?

Alex: Frittata (italiano style) man that turned out great!

Andy, are you using peppers in there?

Look at all that traditional Chorizo >> (...and tenderloin)

We could try making our own Chorizo as a collective...

Holy moly DD...that all things Spain link is impressive! I assume you've checked out El Salchichero...best local I've found.

Andy, are you using peppers in there?

Yep-traditional fire roasted and preserved red peppers as a garnish near the end, plus of course the red/yellow/green bell peppers in the sofrita.

I used a lot because I had a lot and I like the flavor.

That 36 incher is a beauty.

I'm going to keep working with the fry pan, but, I noticed De Buyer makes a Paella pan in Europe that is basically the 14 inch skillet with paella type handles.

31uZS%2Btcx9L.jpg

Dan/Andy... if I get some time, I will try to get one of these in the fire to forge out when I make the loaf trays.. Been wanting to try my hand at a few pans...

J

I'd like to see that. Just keep the base metal thick, so that it makes life easier on a camp stove. The de Buyer pans are 3mm thick, which is about perfect. In a 36 in pan like Pasquale's it might be prohibitively heavy.

For camping with hungry fellow travelers, a 14-16 inch pan would be perfect.

I'd love to buy a Paella pan from another Ih8mudder, so when you get it going, let me know.

FYI i had dinner last night with a hot spanish girl and showed her a picture of our Paella dish from HITR. She was critical of it saying you are not supposed to mix beef and chicken. She said normally you will use seafood only, or pork only..... I'll keep that in mind.

I'd like to see that. Just keep the base metal thick, so that it makes life easier on a camp stove. The de Buyer pans are 3mm thick, which is about perfect. In a 36 in pan like Pasquale's it might be prohibitively heavy.

For camping with hungry fellow travelers, a 14-16 inch pan would be perfect.

I'd love to buy a Paella pan from another Ih8mudder, so when you get it going, let me know.

A, the way I pre-layer/weld my sheet stock it will start out at over 3/4" thick and after several passes be reduced to +/- 3/16 (4/5mm) on the final pan thickness. Averaging around 4.75# per square ft. A pan like Pasquale's will weigh in at 45#s .. I may try and find a lighter stock to start with, but only if it will keep a good heat dissipation rate across the entire cook area. I hate a pan that has "Hot/Cold" spots.

I'll let ya know as I get closer. I have a few more knives to finish for people first.

...Dan, I haven't had time to start the knife thread so if you want to get it going, have at it.

Cheers,

J

FYI i had dinner last night with a hot spanish girl and showed her a picture of our Paella dish from HITR. She was critical of it saying you are not supposed to mix beef and chicken. She said normally you will use seafood only, or pork only..... I'll keep that in mind.

This post is worthless without pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom