P0171 and P0174 saga, intermittent on 2006 GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.
Vehicle is a 2006 GX470 Sport with about 117k miles.
Figured I'd post here with my journey with those two lean codes. I have done a lot of reading and know that it may come down to a variety of causes ranging from small vacuum leaks, MAF sensor, my aFe intake, fuel pump being weak, and more. I'm really just looking for other advice and things to check.
Initially the truck threw P0174 and I started looking for vacuum leaks on passenger side with none being apparent. Then a few days later after resetting the codes, it threw both side lean codes.
I have had the aFe intake on for approximately a year and have never experienced issues with it. I am suspicious that it is the cause but I will switch it for OEM intake if need be once I feel desperate enough.
I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body last year, and they were both visibly dirty at that time but never caused issues. I cleaned it again recently, but it was visibly clean. The MAF reads 1.5 gm/sec at key on, engine off. I used my techstream and compared it to readings others posted and it doesn't seem off. Regardless, I have a new Hitachi MAF on the way, hoping it'll arrive tomorrow. Will swap and go from there. I also used the techstream to check fuel trims. They are very positive both long and short at idle. However, at higher RPMs they go negative and steady. Both banks are very similar in their readings. I can post recordings from the techstream here if needed. I'll try to post some photos of the readings.
The other day, I started fiddling with all of the vacuum lines and intake tubes. I removed and cut the last few MMs of two lines that had tiny cracks on the end. I also removed and cleaned the intake tubing. I sprayed brake parts cleaner ALL over the engine and intake manifold, all lines, etc with no changes in idling. The truck is lightly seeping oil from under the intake manifold, but it's been visually the same for over 2-3 years. There is a little red tab sticking out that I will try to take a photo of, this is under the intake manifold and appears to be the gasket. But when spraying there, nothing changes.
The truck runs great and smooth. Besides the lights it feels no different than normal. Fuel economy appears to be normal. The oil doesn't smell any more of gas than my other 3 vehicles. The other day I took it out on a highway drive at 75 for about 15-20 mins. The lights went away. They returned in stop and go city driving and longer idle times. They disappear again if driven at higher speeds and steady RPMs. At this point, I think I either have some tiny vacuum leak that I haven't been able to pinpoint... or the aFe intake has all of a sudden decided to annoy the computer? I guess I could also check fuel pressure, but I understand that's not the easiest on these motors due to not having a dedicated valve. I am really hoping it is not the fuel pump at my relatively low mileage. Appreciate anyone's help.

2200RPM.PNG

Gasket2.PNG

Idle.PNG

Keyonengineoff.PNG

trimsat2200.PNG

9/10 lean at idle is vacuum leak related. a weak pump would show up under load.
could definitely be a weird maf.

Let's see your intake arrangement to understand how it is different from stock. Your MAF and throttle plate should never be truly dirty - only the lightest of a dusting should ever be present on the MAF, and the plate should have carbon build up if anything. If you find something else, investigate your air filter element and your intake ducting/joints for cracks or looseness.

Those LT fuel trims are considerable, but they aren't aligning with ST data in the snips you provided. When you find the condition causing the error, these two should be nearly the same assuming incoming data is reliable. If you have another MAF, try it a while.

P0171/P0174 suck to troubleshoot. They're worse than death wobble in that there is no go-to repair and there are more places for system failure.

I guess when I said visibly dirty I mean carbon build up. There was a bit of carbon build up on the MAF sensor when I cleaned it for the first time in its life. Same with the throttle blade. Now both are clean.
I have the AFE intake for the GX470. It is supposed to have the same diameter in the area by the MAF to make sure it reads correctly.
Looks like I'm going to toss on the new MAF and go from there for a while. And keep looking closely for vacuum leaks.

I guess when I said visibly dirty I mean carbon build up. There was a bit of carbon build up on the MAF sensor when I cleaned it for the first time in its life. Same with the throttle blade. Now both are clean.
I have the AFE intake for the GX470. It is supposed to have the same diameter in the area by the MAF to make sure it reads correctly.
Looks like I'm going to toss on the new MAF and go from there for a while. And keep looking closely for vacuum leaks.

I truly feel for people fighting this code, and hope your instance is resolved that easily.

The most annoying variant of this code that I have fought was that I had a truck with a *slightly* stretched hose on the power steering vacuum assist valve. It caused a slight vacuum leak intermittently when the steering steering was loaded. Looked perfectly normal. Hose wasn't tight, but it wasn't loose either. But it was loose enough to cause this. Two vacuum caps solved the issue.

Good luck.

I appreciate your input sir. I saw other folks having cracks and issues in that area so I will inspect it further.
Should I be worried driving this thing around? It runs like nothing is wrong and seems to consume fuel at normal rates. Reality is, it's needed for work so it'll just have to be driven around. FWIW, the codes just disappeared again in mixed driving.

I ran into the same issue with my aFe intake on my GX470, along with some very high long term fuel trims that are very similar to yours. See my thread over the 100 series section. Here is what ended up fixing the MAF-related portions specifically:

1. My original MAF sensor was old and removing it to replace the intake probably damaged it. I replaced it with a new Hitachi MAF (same as the OEM) for around $60 from Rock Auto.
2. My aFe intake had leaks at the coupling between the intake and the throttle body. I tightened down the hose clamps a LOT to fix it. How you find the leaks is to spray carb cleaner or an unlit propane torch around various connections/areas etc, with the engine parked and idling,. and watch your short term fuel trims in real time (I used Torque Pro on my phone and had my wife watch the fuel trims as I sprayed around). They will immediately go negative if you have a leak, as the engine sucks in the propane or carb cleaner and the O2 sensors lean out the mixture. You can check your entire intake system and all vacuum lines this way and pretty easily find the leak.
3. Somewhere along the way I contacted aFe warranty support and they sent me a new intake tube. Not sure if this did anything or not, but I replaced it.
4. I had also damaged my MAF connector somehow and was still getting the code. I forget how I figured this out, but I bought a new connector and spliced it in (which ultimately totally fixed the MAF-related codes).
5. I still had high-ish LTFT's after this, they eventually got better when I replaced both upstream O2 sensors.

It was kind of a pain to get all of this figured out, but wasn't too expensive or difficult from the wrenching side. I have had no codes in well over a years.

Just looked up that AFE part. What is the tube made of where it goes into the throttle body?

Just looked up that AFE part. What is the tube made of where it goes into the throttle body?
The overall intake tube is plastic. The coupling between the tube and the throttle body is reinforced silicone hose. It's a good part, but it just requires a ton of torque on the hose clamps to keep it from leaking (I had to use a wrench; a screwdriver was not enough).

Thank you for all your input RedNexus.
Last night I removed the intake tube and thoroughly cleaned all the mating surfaces. There was evidence of staining/dust/dirt on the silicone hose end on the isnside where it is attached to the throttle body. Not a lot. But it was there. I cleaned all of that up and reinstalled. I tightened those clamps basically as much as I could, almost to an uncomfortable level lol Today, the lamps turned off without a lot of open road driving. Maybe this was the case. Perhaps those clamps just loosened over time.
Enough time has not passed yet to where I am comfortable calling it solved, but I'll continue to update here as things develop.
I got the new MAF sensor but I have not installed yet, as I am trying to rule out one thing at a time. I am also going to order some vacuum hose to replace some sections that look a little aged/questionable... Particularly those coming off of the power steering unit. We shall see!
Appreciate you all.

Nice work…these rigs are getting up in age…we are all showing signs of aches and pains

I knew it was too early to celebrate! Codes are back. Local driving and especially idling brings it back. Vehicle got 10.4 mpg. However, in the context of the fact that my dad is currently using it to delivery packaged for UPS, it does a LOT of idling and slow driving in neighborhoods. I don't actually think that MPG is out of line for the driving its being used for right now.
I just swapped on the new MAF sensor. Will see what happens tomorrow. If nothing changes, I am going to refresh some of the sketchier looking vacuum lines. If that still does nothing, I think I'll have to consider the o2 sensors, or I may swap on the factory intake box.
Can anyone confirm the size of the small vacuum hoses on the 2006 2UZ? Like the ones coming off of the PS pump. I have seen both 3mm and 3.5mm in my searches. Those small lines look the roughest so I'll likely start by replacing those.

If you try the trick with carb cleaner or propane while watching ST fuel trims you should be able to find any vaccum leaks really quickly. Otherwise, it's a bit if a shot in the dark. You can also check other things like intake gaskets that way. The OEM rubber lines on GXs are actually quite good; most of mine are OEM and still fine at 15 years (but of course you could still have a leak somewhere).

Also don't discount the MAF connector - it's an easy $12 replacememt and may have ultimately been my problem.

I tried the carb cleaner method, however my Techstream for some reason has like a 5 second refresh rate so it is hard to see things happening in real time. I wonder if there is some setting to change there.
My vacuum lines look alright visually, but one of them had tiny micro cracks at the tips. I cut off the end with a razor. Some of them feel a little bit loose and rotate very easily on their connections.
We shall see what happens with the MAF today! Plan is to then mess with new vacuum lines, per your suggestion I am going to also order that connector. For that price it is worth trying! I don't want to get rid of the aFe intake as I do enjoy the sound it makes versus the stock ultra quiet intake box. Thanks again for your input!

You might need to use a Bluetooth of wifi OBD2 adapter and an app like Torque Pro if the Techstream refresh rate is too slow. They are <$25 on Amazon.

Still loving my aFe intake after almost 2 years!

New MAF sensor did not do it. New MAF connector is on the way. Ordering some new vacuum line as well. Have some time so I will mess with Techstream settings, maybe I had it reading too many parameters. Car is going on a 400 mile mini trip today during which I'm sure it'll turn the lights off during highway running. This behavior has me thinking it is certainly a vac leak. Just need to figure out how to get some quicker real time data and I think I'll be getting to the bottom of this!

Another update. Drove the car around a bit in town. Did an MPG check again. Over 40 miles of heavy city driving gave 12 MPG as expected. I left the car for a few mins. When I came back it restarted with no lights. Odd. Anyways.
On the tech stream refresh rate, I found on other forums that having too many parameters open will increase refresh rate. I created a custom list with just the 4 fuel trims and I was able to bring down the refresh rate to what seems like half a second or so and I started spraying around with my dad watching the laptop. Spraying the T fitting under the intake tube that joins the lines from the fuel pressure regulator and PS fittings would have my values going into the negatives. So I believe I may have found a culprit. I have new lines, fittings, and clamps coming on Tuesday. Will update then.

I had exact issue, same codes. Long trims high. Turned out low fuel pressure. Changed out fuel pump, resolved. And went from 11 ,12 mpg to 14-16.
Wasnt vacuum leak, maf, o2/sensor. I had work done, was a bit much for me.

I've replaced a few vac lines here and there. Found one pretty cracked one on the edge but evidently not the issue. The lights still come and go.
How lean should things go on the Techstream if I spray brake parts cleaner on stuff? Just looking to see what others were seeing.
Things I have left to try:
MAF connector
Stock intake
Fuel pressure test (whew really hope not this one, lol, although I feel like that would leave to lights on all the time)

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 9.00.37 PM.png

I've replaced a few vac lines here and there. Found one pretty cracked one on the edge but evidently not the issue. The lights still come and go.
How lean should things go on the Techstream if I spray brake parts cleaner on stuff? Just looking to see what others were seeing.
Things I have left to try:
MAF connector
Stock intake
Fuel pressure test (whew really hope not this one, lol, although I feel like that would leave to lights on all the time)

View attachment 3193908
I feel your pain. I tried all that too. Its those long term fuel trim at 30, dumping in gas because it cannot compensate. Way high. Mine were high 20's . Now normal. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom