Owning a 60 series diesel in Tokyo Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow love tha two tone color. Very nice. Did it have decals once?

I have finally arrived and settled in at Yokota AB and we have purchased some beater cars to get around. It’s funny you mentioned Chris, as I had texted him (or my wife did rather via Facebook) after seeing people speak of him online. He mentioned being able to find a 61 closer to when we leave, but I feel that’s a lot of valuable time wasted. The longer I have to wait the more likely I feel I am going to be able to find exactly what I am looking for. Not that I want to purchase a truck and have it sit somewhere for 3 years but rather maybe start looking a year or so out.

I may have to look into the “collectors” car to see if I can get around owning a third vehicle if the right cruiser pops up...Although it would drive me nuts having it and not being able to drive it.

I’m not super worried about parts availability. I can hopefully stock up on some while I am here.

And thanks for the advice on hand window cranking and matching numbers, I’ll take those into consideration.

Last edited:
Wow love tha two tone color. Very nice. Did it have decals once?

I have finally arrived and settled in at Yokota AB and we have purchased some beater cars to get around. It’s funny you mentioned Chris, as I had texted him (or my wife did rather via Facebook) after seeing people speak of him online. He mentioned being able to find a 61 closer to when we leave, but I feel that’s a lot of valuable time wasted. The longer I have to wait the more likely I feel I am going to be able to find exactly what I am looking for. Not that I want to purchase a truck and have it sit somewhere for 3 years but rather maybe start looking a year or so out.

I may have to look into the “collectors” car to see if I can get around owning a third vehicle if the right cruiser pops up...Although it would drive me nuts having it and not being able to drive it.

I’m not super worried about parts availability. I can hopefully stock up on some while I am here.

And thanks for the advice on hand window cranking and matching numbers, I’ll take those into consideration.
get one now so you have time/opportunity to wrench on it at the autohobby shop while you're here. 60s are nice, but there's a lot of steering and suspension stuff you need to do to make them wheelable. rebuilding hubs/axles, overhauling brakes, etc...

Can anyone tell me if the engine in this 60 is the 12HT? It claims it is a turbo diesel able to be registered in Tokyo, I am assuming why it has such a steep price.

60engine.jpg

link to it on goo-net:

The Turbo Pipes over the cylinder head cover are not OEM toyota. It looks from that picture like a 2H with an aftermarket turbo.

I think thats a 2h with a turbo as well. Even if that was a 12h-t I would steer clear of any modified engines. Find yourself an as close to stock condition cruiser as you can.

If you see what they do with suspension lifts from Japan, i would be very worried about engine mods.

Big difference in a rebuild from a reputable shop out there and someone modifying an engine.

Did 2 tours in Okinawa. Owned some cool and interesting vehicles while there but didn't bring anything back. Okinawa is not the best place to pick up used cars due to rust. You are probably learning quickly now that you are there, but the longer you stay the more you will learn. As you probably have found out there a used car lots that cater to Americans and sell "Y plate cars" and those that cater to the Japanese selling only "Kanji plate cars" It is not that difficult to get a Kanji plate changed over to a Y plate.. Don't shy away from the lots that only cater to Japanese and don't have anyone that speak English. I did this once and the guy was totally cool and happy to work through the language barrier to make it happen.

....On the used engine sales. Japanese laws on car inspection "JCI" are made to encourage people to buy new cars to support the car manufacturers. Used cars become very expensive to get "JCI'd" every 2 years if you don't do your own work, and the Japanese do not work on their own cars as much as Americans do. Many Americans want to drive their vehicle till the day they leave and will junk it as opposed to selling it to someone. Landcruisers are more unique and probably not subject to this so much, but the on post recycle yards in Okinawa sold good running used engines from junked vehicles (that still ran and drove) for $400-600 each in 2013 to include diesel engines. That is 1/4 what you would pay for that in the US.

On engine swaps and matching numbers: The Japanese inspect everything when you get your vehicle JCI'd. They will inspect the engine number to see if it matches the title. When you modify your vehicle to non-original title specification to include making it 10mm wider with fender flares they may require you to get your title modified to reflect the change(your title lists the width and height of your vehicle). This requires a trip to the land transportation office for vehicle inspection, tax stamp purchase, and issuance of a new title....................The point of all that is to say that swaps and modifications are doable and done, but there are flaming hoops to jump through and it won't get past the Japanese without doing the proper steps...

Getting your older LC JCI'd while you are there.. Immediately before your inspection degrease, pressure wash and wipe clean all oil seepage, grease seepage, and leaks no matter how small. Put exhaust repair tape on any rusted exhaust fittings. Squirt black silicone RTV on a rag and wipe it across any cracked or torn rubber brake line, rubber hose, rubber grease boot, tires, or any other dry rotted cracked rubber part that is still in working condition. Old rubber brake lines are almost always dry rotted and have visible cracks in the surface, but not leaking. Even if not leaking they will fail you for the cracks. If your wiper blades are dry rotted they will fail you for inspection. The RTV trick should be done that night before inspection.

I know this is a landcruiser forum, but if you are a off roader and want something really cool, unique, and affordable do not overlook the mitsubishi J53 jeep. This is a licensed copy of the jeep CJ 3 produced by mitsubishi with both gas and diesel engines. They made them into the 90's and I'm not sure when they stopped. At one point they had the MMC 4D56 diesel the same as the Delica vans. Really nice ones with limited rust were $3.5-6K US in 2013 in Okinawa. This jeep is like a 1950's jeep but 40 years younger that has Japanese quality assembly and parts and gets 30MPG with a 4cyl turbodiesel............Compared to the LC though it is a jeep with no AC, smaller capacity, lightweight, and a soft top/soft door vehicle.

The Turbo Pipes over the cylinder head cover are not OEM toyota. It looks from that picture like a 2H with an aftermarket turbo.

Yes I noticed the turbo pipes, I was just wondering if it was still a 12-ht with aftermarket pipes. Thank you for the help.
Did 2 tours in Okinawa. Owned some cool and interesting vehicles while there but didn't bring anything back. Okinawa is not the best place to pick up used cars due to rust. You are probably learning quickly now that you are there, but the longer you stay the more you will learn. As you probably have found out there a used car lots that cater to Americans and sell "Y plate cars" and those that cater to the Japanese selling only "Kanji plate cars" It is not that difficult to get a Kanji plate changed over to a Y plate.. Don't shy away from the lots that only cater to Japanese and don't have anyone that speak English. I did this once and the guy was totally cool and happy to work through the language barrier to make it happen.

....On the used engine sales. Japanese laws on car inspection "JCI" are made to encourage people to buy new cars to support the car manufacturers. Used cars become very expensive to get "JCI'd" every 2 years if you don't do your own work, and the Japanese do not work on their own cars as much as Americans do. Many Americans want to drive their vehicle till the day they leave and will junk it as opposed to selling it to someone. Landcruisers are more unique and probably not subject to this so much, but the on post recycle yards in Okinawa sold good running used engines from junked vehicles (that still ran and drove) for $400-600 each in 2013 to include diesel engines. That is 1/4 what you would pay for that in the US.

On engine swaps and matching numbers: The Japanese inspect everything when you get your vehicle JCI'd. They will inspect the engine number to see if it matches the title. When you modify your vehicle to non-original title specification to include making it 10mm wider with fender flares they may require you to get your title modified to reflect the change(your title lists the width and height of your vehicle). This requires a trip to the land transportation office for vehicle inspection, tax stamp purchase, and issuance of a new title....................The point of all that is to say that swaps and modifications are doable and done, but there are flaming hoops to jump through and it won't get past the Japanese without doing the proper steps...

Getting your older LC JCI'd while you are there.. Immediately before your inspection degrease, pressure wash and wipe clean all oil seepage, grease seepage, and leaks no matter how small. Put exhaust repair tape on any rusted exhaust fittings. Squirt black silicone RTV on a rag and wipe it across any cracked or torn rubber brake line, rubber hose, rubber grease boot, tires, or any other dry rotted cracked rubber part that is still in working condition. Old rubber brake lines are almost always dry rotted and have visible cracks in the surface, but not leaking. Even if not leaking they will fail you for the cracks. If your wiper blades are dry rotted they will fail you for inspection. The RTV trick should be done that night before inspection.

I know this is a landcruiser forum, but if you are a off roader and want something really cool, unique, and affordable do not overlook the mitsubishi J53 jeep. This is a licensed copy of the jeep CJ 3 produced by mitsubishi with both gas and diesel engines. They made them into the 90's and I'm not sure when they stopped. At one point they had the MMC 4D56 diesel the same as the Delica vans. Really nice ones with limited rust were $3.5-6K US in 2013 in Okinawa. This jeep is like a 1950's jeep but 40 years younger that has Japanese quality assembly and parts and gets 30MPG with a 4cyl turbodiesel............Compared to the LC though it is a jeep with no AC, smaller capacity, lightweight, and a soft top/soft door vehicle.

Very good info here. However, I am not in Okinawa I am in Tokyo... Hence why I cannot register the Turbo Diesel 60 w/ in the city without installing costly diesel particle filters.

It is a good thought however to not shy away from local dealerships. I mostly look on goo-net and the likes. Only issue is that I will probably have to look at dealerships outside the Tokyo prefecture where the hj61 can be registered.

I am down in Iwakuni, I got my HDJ81 from Goo-net after looking for a long time, like others have said, I had a local guy do the pickup and paperwork. Check around on the bases facebook for the "local car guys", there will be some that can help out, for a price. I paid 12k after taxes, fees, and insurance for a 1990, twin locked, 1HD-T, with 130k on the clock. It is in rough shape, has a little rust, ran like s***, but it just needed some normal maintenance and TLC; and I knew I wanted a good price over a pretty rig.

60's are really going up in price, you will be hard pressed to find a good one with less than 200k, for under 20k. There is a really clean one down the road from me, has 300k on it and they still want 18k. There are a lot of 80's and 70's if you are not to hard set on a 60. Also, they have the "Prado" line here, which is really nice, though more comfort geared, and with a smaller engine. Avoid the dealerships that buy junk heaps, throw a cheap coat of paint on it and resell it for 10k more than it is worth, you will see those a lot on Goo-net.

As for expenses... I pay $650 a year in insurance for a 100 plate, compare that to my Hilux I had before the 80 which cost $270 a year, it was a 300 plate. Prado's are a 300 plate. I havn't done a JCI yet, but the local contact I use for them told me to expect around $1200 if all goes well, that is including a bit for his time to pick it up, prep it, and take it to the Shaken shop, do the paperwork and return it. Road tax is also $320 a year for a 100 plate. So, factor in $2000 a year just in fees to be safe.

It's worth it though, the diesel LC's are awesome, and there are some very nice examples to be had. Save up for the right one though, and figure out what is important as far as condition for you.

Assuming your intention is to bring a vehicle back with you when you PCS. Is it possible to buy what you want and just store it until you leave Japan? Sucks you wont be able to drive it while you are still in Japan but you will have what you want to take with you later.

That's basically what i did. Never registered my HJ61 kept it parked and had it shipped back to the usa. I was fortunate to live off base and had a garage to store it at.

Is it possible to buy what you want and just store it until you leave Japan? Sucks you wont be able to drive it while you are still in Japan but you will have what you want to take with you later.

That's basically what i did. Never registered my HJ61 kept it parked and had it shipped back to the usa. I was fortunate to live off base and had a garage to store it at.

I have thought about this before, but with another 2 years left here I am wondering how much the overall cost of storage would be. I would like it to be covered, maybe climate controlled. It would KILL me to have it in storage and not be able to drive it though ha...

60's are really going up in price, you will be hard pressed to find a good one with less than 200k, for under 20k. There is a really clean one down the road from me, has 300k on it and they still want 18k. There are a lot of 80's and 70's if you are not to hard set on a 60. Also, they have the "Prado" line here, which is really nice, though more comfort geared, and with a smaller engine. Avoid the dealerships that buy junk heaps, throw a cheap coat of paint on it and resell it for 10k more than it is worth, you will see those a lot on Goo-net.

I have been looking at the auctions (Japanese car auction. Used Cars from Japan. Car auctions online. Vehicles, Bikes, Parts) but I haven't been able to translate what the sold prices are for the vehicles that have come up. I see a few which have been on the site for months that no one is buying. I would like to know what those in the condition of 3.5's and 200km have been selling for. Sounds like you made out pretty well with your hdj81.

My two cents... I'm in Japan (Tokyo) on a black passport. As a matter of fact, this is my first post...

I bought on the economy a HZJ81V, with the intention of bringing it back. I was considering going through the auctions etc, but ended up buying one from FLEX, the LC / 4x4 dealership. The vehicle wasn't in Tokyo, so i had it brought down here, and even with dip plates, had to go through the emissions process, which was an arm and a leg, but the dealership handled all the work. I just had to pay.

If i was buying another vehicle, i probably would do the same - only because they would go through the vehicle before you receive it, they replaced all the fluids, replaced a shaky passenger side mirror, batteries, front axle seals etc. Got a check list of what was completed. i was more than happy to pay for the convenience of not having to research shops to go over it, and do the necessary repairs. I'm pretty sure that there's some warranty getting it from them, although i wasn't paying much attention. Although they do the routine maintenance etc, I have a Toyota dealership within walking distance that I'd rather take it to.

Granted my situation isn't the same as yours, but i feel the cost of the vehicle itself (not including the emissions 'tax') was a decent deal, especially considering that there was some work done before i took delivery of the vehicle. I lucked out in the sense that it was pretty much what i was looking for, stock height, rear barn doors, diesel 5 speed. She came with ARB bumper, roof rack and awning - which i probably would have gotten the bumper and roof rack anyhow. Practically no rust underneath, just some spots here and there around the windows. Under 200k km. Just wished that it had a turbo engine. That being said, the 1HZ is adequate for here, since you're really not going all that fast or far around here.

Also keep in mind that whatever the selling price is, you're going to have to add the 10% sales tax, unless you're exempt, and you have the other fees like recycling and what not as well.

Hope this helps.

I am looking for information on owning a diesel (specifically hj61) in Tokyo Japan.

I am in the US military and will be moving to Japan at the end of the month. I really would like a 60 series diesel as my daily driver around base and the outskirts of Tokyo, but I know Tokyo has strict restrictions on Diesel engines. Does this apply to vehicles older than 1990?

I will be stationed at Yokota Air Base for the next 3 years and living on base, and would like to get buy a 60 series diesel and take it back to the states when I am done with my tour here. I am under the impression citizens/visitors would not be able to register a diesel since it is so close to Tokyo. I am unsure if this also applies to military living on base.

I have asked amongst the military at my current base and no one has answer. I am guessing that I will just have to wait till I get there and ask, but just wondering if anyone here on the forum may have info on who has done it or been there and tried.

I have also heard (and unable to get confirmation from the military) that the military no longer ships personal vehicles bought in Japan back to the US from Japan.

Thanks for any help!!!
Hi,

Currently just arrived in Yokota. I have a 1994 Land Cruiser Prado KZJ78 Model. It's diesel and I'm hearing that it's not allowed to be registered here in Tokyo.

Have you found any sort of way or have heard of someone that registered a diesel vehicles here? Really don't want to spend thousands of dollars to convert emissions or to sell my truck.

Thanks in advanced for any help!!

You can register it in Tokyo - you just have to pay to have the emissions modifications done. I paid about $9k US and i think it took about a week. I don't know the SOFA registration process, but it wasn't difficult for dip plates. I coordinated the emissions stuff through the dealer i bought it through, and with the results, Post handled the registration.

If you don't want to spend the money, i guess get transferred to Misawa or somewhere away from Tokyo or any other larger city.

You can register it in Tokyo - you just have to pay to have the emissions modifications done. I paid about $9k US and i think it took about a week. I don't know the SOFA registration process, but it wasn't difficult for dip plates. I coordinated the emissions stuff through the dealer i bought it through, and with the results, Post handled the registration.

If you don't want to spend the money, i guess get transferred to Misawa or somewhere away from Tokyo or any other larger city.
Thanks for the info!

I bought the Land cruiser in Misawa. Just recently PCS'd from there. Didn't know about the Emissions laws before coming here. Guess I'll have to put it in storage. 9k is a lot. That's enough to buy 2 beaters lol

yes, $9k can buy many a "base car", but i bought knowing that i wanted to bring something back. And through the dealership found a very nice example of what i was looking for. 9k, while a fair chunk, to me was worth the price to pay to be able to own, and use while my tour here. Not to mention we're exempt from all the inspection requirements - it was worth it to me.

Unfortunately I did not find a way to get around the emissions. Most folks seemed to get a red stripe tag and bounce on and off base, or keep their vehicle stored till they PCS'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom