Events/Trails [Overnighter] FJ Summit XII | 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
THIS OVERNIGHTER IS NOT ASSOCIATED/SPONSORED/SUPPORTED BY THE FJ SUMMIT.

FJ Summit Peeps,

Hi my name is Steven Kent and I am a fellow Toyota wheeling enthusiast. I have been fortunate to attend the last 7-8 FJS and spend a decent amount of time every year wheeling around the San Juan & Gunnison NF areas and love them both dearly.

I am checking to see if there may be any FJS participants interested in doing fun overnighter. It's something I do a couple times a year in the Gunnison NF and ending in Ouray.

I am proposing meeting up in Crested Butte, CO the morning of July 17th (Tuesday) and heading up/over Pearl Pass over towards Aspen – then up/over Taylor Pass back towards Taylor Reservoir. Set up camp towards the bottom of Taylor pass for the night for a fun pot luck or whatever the crew has in mind. The morning of July 18th (wed) we hit some pavement for a stretch – head to Almont and on down into Lake City. Take Engineer pass from Lake City down into Ouray. This would put us into Ouray around 2ish on the day of signing in for the event.

I do trail lead for the FJS every year and cannot say enough positive things about the coordinators of the event. For those that have never attended the FJS your in for quite a delight. It's hands down the nest event I have ever seen organized and managed. This would be considered some peeps getting together to enjoy some awesome views taking a unique route to Ouray.

The trail rating. I would say the trails are moderate – no real obstacles. There are some larger rocks we crawl over that would more than likely require some sliders. I am looking for maybe 5-10 rigs that might be interested in doing this. I am hoping for drivers that have moderate experience in wheeling. You do not need a super built rig to do this. The two main things I would suggest are sliders/33s. You’re going to take some bumps and hits on some rocks, but noting major. This is a lot of distance to cover so maintaining a decent pace is prudent to getting through these trails in a timely manner and getting into Ouray on time.

I am not sure if you are the same person But there is a run already in the works and being planned over on the FJcruiser forum . sounds like a great trip though .

Thanks for the reply. No I didn’t post anything on the FJ forums. Do u possibly have a link to it? I can’t seem to find it posted on that forum. Thanks!!

look in FJ Summit section . I am not sure how to link things .

Try this

0E405BC8-D161-4982-9A29-E8D91C6367B8.jpeg

Oh yeah. I just found that post. No TOTALLY not the same person or post. That’s Aces post. That run isn’t vastly different then the Bill Burke run. Ace likes that route because it begins in his back yard. I am not a big fan of that route as there are TONS of mosquitos on the Mesa in July (that’s part of the route) and not terribly scenic. That route goes through the Mesa. My route starts 150 Miles S.E of where that starts and takes a completely different, more scenic, more challenging trails. The trails I suggested break tree line and peak out around 13,200 ft hence no mosquitos and awesome views.

I may be in on this . Still waiting to hear if my son is Flying in or not .

Watching this... We are planning a run from leadville, to Taylor Lake... Down to Ouray... But I am scared of planning much around the San Juan Forest. (Because of closures with the fire)

Are you altering plans because of this?

Hey there thanks for your interest. No i am not doing that overnighted this year as i am positive one of the trails won’t open this year and the other trail might not be open by July. We finally had an excellent snow year this year so pearl pass we be buried in snow all summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom