over heating/bad mpg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another cooling mystery! When you installed your thermostat, did you put the gasket on top of the thermostat (round ring shape)?

90 per cent chance your radiator core is plugged. You can pull it, take it to a radiator shop, they can do a flow test on it and tell you the percent of clog. With all the rest you've done, that should be it. Higher mileage 62's are famous for it.

yea I put the gasket on top of the thermostat and went ahead and changed it again just to make sure it wasnt stuck.i'll take the radiator out and take it to the shop to check it. how do I take off the trans cooler lines off the bottom of the radiator I loosend the nut's and cant seem to be able to get them off? Thank's for all the responces!

Last edited:
The radiator is a pain to get out, good luck. Your knuckles will take a beating for sure! I would cut your fan shroud in half while you have it out, it makes things a little easier.

If your gauge is spiking, it definitely sounds like this is could just be a gauge problem. Do a search and you'll find several write-ups. I would either install a mechanical temp gauge, or at the very least, clean the contacts on the back of the fuel gauge (I think that is how it goes).

If you're lucky, then that is the only problem and it is an easy fix.

given the parts you have replaced and visually no head gasket problems. I would say simply by process of elimination that its the gauge. I had similar problems on a 87 FJ60 i replaced the motor in last week and turns out the stock gauge is a piece of chit as alot of you know. I used an infered temp. gauge and it actually ran at 190 (the therm rating) at most all points i checked, the head (not exhaust manifold side), top of radiator, bottom of block etc. when the stock gauge showed in the red zone. hope this helps a little

I was buying my parts from bap geon they told me they were oem parts from toyota, I went to the local toyota dealer and ordered A new thermostat and gaskets and the thermostat was totally the wrong one installed the new thermostat from the dealer and now the temp guage barely gets over the C on the guage the heat works fine and trucks running cold! went back to bap geon to let them know and the thermostat they sold me was the listing they had in there system. So buy from toyota dealer only! Thank's for all the responces problem solved for now!

... unless your thermostat is not working or not the correct part for the truck.

Bam, you got it right outta the gate, bro.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom