ELSIE Gets GM power.............. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I managed to finally get my project rolling this weekend, Ive had the 1982 FJ60 since march of 08'. I just put the truck in my name last Fri. (for me to be able to work on the truck :princess: said i first must put the thing in my name) anyways back on topic. Here is what it looked like at 1pm this sat

couldn't help but include few of dads cars in background we like GM what can I say

and at 11
:beer: desperatly needed after this!!!!!
DSCF0103.jpg
DSCF0113.jpg

here is a few engine shots I'd like to get rid of all of this stuff, I know I'm not to list cruiser crap in this section but i'm lazy. so make me an offer on this setup 2f, 4 spd, etc. PM for questions or just email to mwdubs@yahoo.com
DSCF0109.jpg
DSCF0110.jpg

:popcorn: and envious! Nice vette. Dont suppose hed let you pull the engine out the that red donor car next to your cruiser?:grinpimp:

Here is my revised plan for the truck, originally i was going to go with a 5.3l 4l80E an NP 241, I've since bought a 4L60E (still have to rebuild) and an 05 5.3L from avalanche. I want to treat this build like a job being done for someone, maybe this will give some of you guys considering a similar swap, to do or not to do. I've done a few LT1/LS1 swaps in mostly old hot rods, first 4wd guess we'll see how it goes.
Here goes...

1982 FJ60 (ELSIE-corny but we like it) coolest truck ever (IMHO)
...................$1800 4L60E from 1999 1500 chevy 4x4 truck...................$200
Rebuild kit and rebuilt converter for trans................$350
2005 5.3L with complete harness and cpu..........$1000 shipped
Shaft to adapt splitcase to 4l60E...........................$140
Working on housing to adapt trans to split case here is pic more info later. any suggestion/dislikes/complaints/props welcome
DSCF0114.jpg

Second best day of my life was driving that thing off the lot with wife to dads shop as a suprise christmas gift. I put a big red bow on it and the family took him down to see it, he had no idea, think he shed a single tear. Oh i forgot to tell ya that my mom bought it for him, I was just a broke college kid at the time. I swear i couldnt wipe the smile off my face for weeks just from driving that thing at highway speed for 15 min trip to the shop.
The best day of my wife (oops life) haha was the FJ purchase of course. and to answer you question JP he would kill me for removing any piece of that thing.

NICE DUDE!!!Im tuned in. Amassing my stuff to do a similar swap in mine, so Ill be all eyes on this!Good luck and thanks for posting up!Chicago

Good luck! have fun with it!!!!!

Another convert!

Be very picky about the wiring harness you use and the person you get to program the PCM for you. I've chased my @$$ for some time trying to get the gremlins worked out on mine. Most people run an aftermarket engine wiring harness for simplicity sake.... I think Randy has done a few installs like you are planning. I'm guess you'll need an adapter to mate the auto trans with the yota TC (advance adapaters?).

I have a 60 with a 5.7 vortec and yota 5 speed.... it's a nice running combination. I think the automatic setup would be cool too.... on the newer V-8's. You'll probally want to look at having to run all 4 02 sensors , two cat coverters, and potentially the full emissions setup, depending on if you have emissions inspection where you live.

I think the V-8 setup really makes the truck fun to drive and gives it power to spare....you'll be able to climb hills on pavement at speed and actually pass folks :)

Get the egine in square to the radiator support if you plan on using a mechanical fan for cooling....not much clearnace between the front of the engine and the radiator.

My biggest aggrivation was (the PCM since its rather hard to tell if you have an electrical issue or the PCM setup is screwed). Ask many questions... Check out "aintscared's and rover67's threads"... I have one too...but its on the 5.7, and there are a couple of others too...Manucho?? (not sure of the spelling as I write this). I'm just guessing but the 6.0 and 5.3 would appear to be very similar in setup.

Right on. Great start and there are a couple things you will want to look at as well. VSS adapter from Downey. Use the transfer case adapter much easier! And yes be very picky about the harness and ECU. I am looking into the guy Rover67 used on his. I had been using FIS but since Jeff left it doesn't seem the same. But they are still a great bunch I just liked dealing with Jeff. But you are well on your way!

I read somewhere that without the VSS you never get out of the idle tables, essientially limiting fuel economy. The one I saw was around $200 on downey website, has anyone used it before (Randy)? I plan on doing the harness myself and swaping the drive by wire for cable, but do plan on sending the computer out for reflash. Thanks for the advice im taking notes from you guys who have done the FJ retro fit before. A few more updates coming this week.

Yes the adapter is great. I use it on all my swaps. Sounds like you have it going your way though. Let's see more pic's!

use the VSS, I tried it without it for about a year, and finally decided to plunk down the cash for it. The truck runs totally different with it now. Unbelievable.

I used IH8MUD Banner Advertising for my harness the second time (FIS didn't do such a great job the first time) and he did a great job. He's also probably the cheapest. He did great programming on the PCM as well. I actually drove to his place to pick up my harness since I was in his town on buisiness so I got to meet him. Jessee is really a nice guy.

Also, pay attention to oil pan, front axle (or front pinion flange) clearance and drive shaft flange angles when you are bolting it all up and welding motor mounts. I put my motor pretty high in the truck, and added body spacers and lowered bump stops as well to try and get clearance on the bottom. Another option would be to get the camaro oil pan which a few have done on here also. I like the extra oil volume the truck oil pan has but would have probably gone the camaro route if I had been smarter.

I found out I needed more clearance when i was in Moab doin wide open runs in the desert and my drive shaft hit the oil level sensor on the motor....

ROVER, I hope to be SOA before the engine trans and split case go in so maybe clearance won't be such an issue. Guess ill have to cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks for the info any advice/tips are great.

Where to source the camaro pan? Any PN's?I just ponied up for the Downey 6 to 4 bolt adapter with VSS and Reluctor set up. Im still waiting on it.I was also considering having Jim do my Harness, but then when I talked to one of the guyz there when i was ordering, he said they would just ship it to painless...So Im still looking for a harness as well. Ill check into the guyz listed above.How would you go about wiring it yourself? would you splice into the GM harness? How many conncetions are there to interface with the Toyota gear?Chicago

I used the downey VSS adapter. I think its your only option. I used a painless harness on my truck which I think is well made, but I found out way later that the harness only works with certain specific PCMs (the harnes for the 5.7 vortec engines). I would have saved a good bit of money and aggrivation to have known this up front. I too waited on the VSS adapter for some time (can't explain why I waited...guess i was just stuborn)... But yes you will need a VSS to make things work...without exception.

I don't think I would try to interface the GM harness with the Toyota harness, I think you would be better served to either send the GM harness off to one of the guys who modifies the harness or buy an aftermarket harness.

Well progress has been a little slow. Since taking out Elsie's motor I have been working on (hope to finish this weekend) swapping my 160K block and head (essentially long block) into a very nice 1987 FJ60 showing 320K on odo for a guy from Atlanta. He had been having the 60 worked on by some shop in Atlanta (won't mention any names unless prompted) and felt they had given him the run around. After all was said and done the 60 wound up at our shop needing a transplant in a bad way. I'll post pics of it later to see if anybody recoginizes it. I think he recently bought it from Arizona. here is a pic just before the swaped motor goes in. old 2F in the background. The old motor has no compression, didnt remove head but it would need building. Need to get rid of it, any takers?

dscf0128wg3.jpg

Here is what i've done so far on the 5.3 conversion. recently bought a ls1 intake and injectors ($130 shipped), bought some extruded -6 fuel rail stock to make my own fuel rails and im in the process of making accessory brackets, power steering pump and alt. There have been many threads on several forums about the ls1 intake on a 5.3l robbing a few hp but I like the low profile look and it was cheap enough so why not. a pic of the plan. :beer:
dscf0130jf8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom