Outfitting the shorter rider... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...My daughter, approx 5' tall is interested in doing some Triathalons. She runs half marathons / swims etc. but has no real biking experience other than commuting around Toronto on her hand me down (30 year + classic) Univega. Unfortunately, it was stolen the last day of exams and she is now "bikeless" and back home (Maine) for the summer.

I would like to get her a bike she could use for commuting and also use for non competitive participation in mini triathalons...

I believe availability of correct frame sizing will be the limiting factor, I can always build up or get better wheels/components.

Can any of you "Mudders" help me with considerations and options? My first thoughts were for a "650 cross" of some sort - do they exist? Second thoughts were of a hardtail Mt bike, with no top tube or very low (angled) top tube, running slicks for tires.

Help me brainstorm - want to hear it all :cheers:

Thanks,

Dave

she'll need a road bike if she is at all competitive by nature. argon makes a junior roadbike on 650s and they are pretty trick. Junior bicycle models | Argon 18

my eleven year old daughter did a kid's triathlon on the weekend. initially she was going to do it on her mountain bike with slicks and we tried that on a couple of rides and it was ok, but then she got a chance to borrow a tiny little argon. it made a huge difference. she was able to beat stronger kids on mountain bikes and then to drop her dad on his 25lb mtb about 3/4 of the way through.

Most brands now have women's specific design bikes. Specialized, Trek, and Giant all make some great women's road rides that come in smaller sizes. The best bet would be to head to a bike shop while she is home and see what she has and what they like. If she is going to do the Tri scene then definitely look at a road bike.

Check out the women's specific geometry road and/or tri bikes.

Choosing the "right" frame size will be an important factor.

Since she's new to cycling, used might be the best way to go until she learns the ins and outs and trade-offs associated with frames, sizing, components, etc. and what she might be comfortable with. Or at least initially.

Then later, as she gets more proficient, she'll learn what she likes/doesn't like in her current setup and can move towards something that "fits" her at the right price/performance mark.

Thanks all..

...good reasonable insight!

Went ahead with a 2011 Specialized Women's Vita Elite. I set it up primarily as a commuter for her. But, it's easy to ditch the rack and fenders, etc if she decides to use it for a Sprint, etc.

At this point...it will be up to her to pursue how "deep" she wants to get into the cycling world regarding competitivness and equipment and $$.

Again, thanks for the considered replies!

Keep on Cruising:cheers:

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom