Ouachita NF Intel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still relatively new to the area and want to get off the pavement this weekend and do some exploring in Ouachita NF. Hoping to get some insights into specific areas that we can get off the road, away from other cars/people and maybe even find some streams or small rivers to access that hold fish. Maybe asking a lot? I don't know...that why I'm asking! I'm in Little Rock, so will be starting east to west...

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

I'd start with the Winona Auto Tour if you've never been there. That'll get you familiar with the area.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm9_039496.pdf

There are a few creeks that feed into Lake Winona from the west side that might be fishable. Lake Winona itself is fishable, but access is tough without a boat.

Here is one trail that I like to run. It takes the whole day and basically takes you all around that area with parts coming close to Lake Winona. Part 1 is just the entrance of the trail while part 2 is the entire thing minus that entrance part. Don't know why they're separate files but nevertheless it's still a fun trail to run

Attachments

• Ouachita:Sylvia Trail pt.1.kmz
    2.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Ouachita:Sylvia Trail pt.2.kmz
    46.6 KB · Views: 156
If you're coming from little rock and want to make a day trip, winona is a great place to start. If you have a weekend to camp, the western half of the forest has some great scenery and better fishing.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late response and thanks, got jammed up with work back half of the week...Planning on getting out there today and doing some exploring around the areas you have recommended, time permitting. Getting a late start...I went to start the truck this morning and the battery was essentially dead. Dealing with that right now. Hopefully can still make it out there. Thanks again!

Josh

Anyone stayed at Bard Springs lately?

May go up and use it as a base camp mid march and hit the Eagle rock loop and little missouri falls with 4 kids (Their first camping trip)

Anyone stayed at Bard Springs lately?

May go up and use it as a base camp mid march and hit the Eagle rock loop and little missouri falls with 4 kids (Their first camping trip)

If you plan to hike the entire ERL with kids, I hope they love long steep hills with no switchbacks and lots of water crossings. Last time I hiked it, it was a 2 night trip.

If you plan to hike the entire ERL with kids, I hope they love long steep hills with no switchbacks and lots of water crossings. Last time I hiked it, it was a 2 night trip.

No definitely NOT!!! just hike until the 7 year olds complain and turn back!

No definitely NOT!!! just hike until the 7 year olds complain and turn back!

In that case, I'd start at Little Missouri Falls, hike downstream until it hits Crooked Creek (the trail crosses both streams) and hike back. Where the streams converge is a nice area.

Or hike into the Winding Stairs area. That's a great out-n-back trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom