Options to increase power on a LC 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Orange Virus Tuning (OrangeVirus Tuning) is working on a tune for the LC (2016+):

Rafael Bautista (OVTune)

Jun 25, 2020, 7:54 AM EDT

Hello,

Good day!

Thank you for your interest in our products. However, we do not have support for your vehicle at this time. We will continually update our product support and we'll make announcements in our website and Facebook Page as soon as your vehicle is included.

Timeframe is within the end of the year, unless anything else changes.

We wish you and your loved ones good health amid the pandemic.
-
OVTune - Lead Developer/ECU Assembly Development/Toyota Calibration Lead
www.ovtuned.com
CUSTOMER SUPPORT / BUSINESS HOURS
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM EST ( MON - FRI )
Office closed on weekend/holidays
Please allow 1-3 business days for response to all inquiries.

Unfortunately my experience with OV Tune is they don't always meet projected timelines due to their small operation. Great product and very happy with the tune for Tacoma, just things seem to move very slow over there. Also their ECU/TCU flash tuning only seems to apply to newer model years. One of their strengths is the crowd source product development that takes into account the experience and feedback of a rabid and loyal customer base.

to OP - most have covered all relevant aspects. there is always an unknown variable of inherent failure risk when boosting a motor (turbo or supercharging) that was inherently designed for atmospheric (natural aspiration) combustion. without re-doing and updating the motor's internals, boosting it on a stock internal configuration will more often than not increase risk of component failure - be it seals/gaskets or bearings and such. although the tolerance stack up on the 5.7 may allow (and I absolutely do not know this for sure) for some power improving mods, you are still changing the operating parameters and increasing inherent risk of failure. Most responsible engine builders / aftermarket shops that I have spoken to have attested to this.

experts here can chime in if there are simple bolt on mods for the LC200 platform that may allow better breathing (air filters, intakes, high flow cats or cat deletes, high flow exhausts) or lessen parasitic losses (pulleys and such) that may allow gain in net power to the wheels.

From whenever I have had the chance to drive the LC, I have found it to have ample power for its intended use as a spirited and luxurious family hauler and overlander.

"experts here can chime in if there are simple bolt on mods for the LC200 platform that may allow better breathing (air filters, intakes, high flow cats or cat deletes, high flow exhausts) or lessen parasitic losses (pulleys and such) that may allow gain in net power to the wheels."

I am not an expert. I did all of the above to a Chevy 97 K2500 5.7L Vortec including upgraded cam, push rods and rocker arms also headers. Bored out the throttle body added a spacer. Kept the cat because it wouldn't pass inspection but high flow cats. It worked out great for about 1.5-2years. The high flow air intake didn't really filter the air which caused problems internally. The high flow cats, wider exhaust, headers and a touch of nitros really made a difference with the pedal to the floor. I was now burning out O2 sensors every 6 months. Pulled the AC pulley and replaced the rest. No difference in performance but I had no AC.... My mechanic warned me about all of this but I said ahhhhh it will be fine. It was my DD. It gained a lot from the bolt on upgrades. But I killed the motor from all the crap getting into the motor and the high flow back side. If I where to do it again I would have listened to my mechanic and just gone to a speed shop and have a complete system built. I would still have that truck. Loved that truck. Ever since that experience I'm not a fan of bolt on engine upgrades for long term use. The gains are not worth the long term wear on the motor.

If it's a toy the bolt on's are an inexpensive way to add a few HP. It's penny wise pound poor.

Just had my 2016 re-geared to 4.88's. It has totally changed the enjoyment in driving. As well as running a front winch and 40 gallon aux tank the re-gear helps with the acceleration and going up and down the hills of SOCAL.

OP anything new? This fat pig could definitely benefit from opening up it's airways. Basic header down exhaust. Did anyone in here try the DT or KOOKs long headers. Not interested in short.

OP anything new? This fat pig could definitely benefit from opening up it's airways. Basic header down exhaust. Did anyone in here try the DT or KOOKs long headers. Not interested in short.
Nothing yet. Been spending money on bumpers and armor. Once done I’ll see if I need power. Will probably have to look into re-gearing. A Harrop supercharger is in the list, and have been looking at Manta exhaust system. Wish money grew on trees lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom