Options for KDSS boot cover? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I was doing a pre ride check yesterday and noticed that I have seversl holes in the plastic accordion boot on the front kdss cylinder. It appears to require disassembly to replace, and I have zero interest in doing that. Are there alternates that I can put over it to avoid FOD? I imagine their being a split boot out there thst I could put over the top, maybe from the offroad dirtbike/quad guys... I just want to keep it protected.

Any idea why there are holes? Tire rub?

I'm not sure. That is the most likely possibility. You can see the contact with the lower kdss arm sort of polished off (but now somewhat covered in mud from an offroad trip yesterday). It makes contact at full lock.

5F3FB88C-CBAF-4006-833C-6D90064924E6.jpeg

E1D38154-1A4B-4701-B0B1-A721CECD4AD9.jpeg

Do you have KDSS arm rub?

I would expect more visible evidence of rubbing if it was directly caused by tire contact. Probably a stick or something getting pulled up in there.

Sorry I can't help more with ideas to address it.

It looks to me like enough evidence to suggest damage from the tire at some point in the suspension cycle at full lock. Maybe there is a large split boot for a steering component like a rack and pinion boot or something.

It looks to me like enough evidence to suggest damage from the tire at some point in the suspension cycle at full lock. Maybe there is a large split boot for a steering component like a rack and pinion boot or something.
Yesss!!! This is exactly what I have in mind.

Do you have KDSS arm rub?

I would expect more visible evidence of rubbing if it was directly caused by tire contact. Probably a stick or something getting pulled up in there.

Sorry I can't help more with ideas to address it.
Yes, minor kdss arm rub rub at full lock.

It would probably better to address that issue, but kdss relo comes with tradeoffs that I don't want to deal with.

Last edited:
I had a conversation with a well-respected builder about offset when trying to run 285/75 and the thing that spooked me was KDSS cylinder/boot rub at full stuff. Seems like the kinks have been worked through of KDSS relocation... at least with regard to the links. But I'm still not sold.

Is there an option for the links that doesn't involve running them outside of the mounting bracket with a solid spacer?

Search bicycle chain stay protector neoprene. They connect with Velcro, two or three should get you the diameter you need. If you’re willing to wait for China shipping, you can get 20 for $12.

Is there an option for the links that doesn't involve running them outside of the mounting bracket with a solid spacer?
Not that I've seen. A few people have been doing it without apparent issue, and single shear with the correct spacer is a very strong setup, but I'd personally still prefer double shear out of an abundance of caution. This alone may keep me from going up to 285/75

Where can you get this?
It's out of their typical wheel house, but check out the guys at cole-tac. I am sure they could make you a nylon cover in whatever color you'd want secured with velcro. You'd give them dimensions and they'd spit you out a solid cover. Shoot them an email and I am sure they'd get back to you with something satisfactory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom