Optimum wheelbase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just a suggestion, but for all the work put into some of the rigs,

why not setup a variable wheelbase? best of both capable around turns with short wheelbase, and good up hill with a slight longer wheelbase. add
in the change in weight bias front to rear with change in wheelbase, cutting brakes if wanted, or possible a variable suspension height, a few options that should further help the capable rig. Most extreme example i know of is a custom 1 ton buggy with 18" of wheelbase change anywhere from 112" to 130" at a touch of a button. no real need for that much travel i think on a cruiser. so far between 98" and 108", and that is min and max listed for all. maybe 6" of change 99" to 105"?

i think variable wheelbase could have greater effect on how capable a rig is, rather then how light it is or how much travel the suspension has.

Like woody said

"Doesn't sound like much, but am curious on a few spots if the 5+% weight drop and bias change does anything"

add to it a variable wheelbase change of ? " that you decide to make it.

I've read up on that variable wheelbase rig....very kewl. My concern is reliability and expense....kinda like forced articulation, it's a neat concept but the added expense for the very few times it's truely needed may not be worth it.

Now get into the chainlink swingarm rig that competed this summer....wild contraption, but lots of interesting ideas. Can't wait to see where some of it goes.

reliability and expense are concerns with any major changes. and agreed the above in a forced articualation rig is huge. But in a small example such as a variable wheelbase using only the rear axle on a cruiser, IMO time and costs of building would be close to if not less then a 4 link, (not to pick on you). It would be extremely easy using a leaf spring rear compared to a 4 link rear, but each could be built the same, just more time for the setup on the 4 link. It also could be partially detachable to gain even more suspesion travel if needed.

truely needed is a fair question to ask, i guess it depends where you wheel if you wheel on flat land without trees and hills, or rock walls and waterfalls then i dont think this will be needed, now the ability to find a all around good wheelbase and not need the adjustability all the time is an option also.
question of truely needed can be asked about many different mods we do, and all justified to our likeing. 6cyl v 8 cyl? stick v auto? ability of 4 link over leaf spring?

While all above is still considering the cruiser to be a street worthy vehicle, no buggy, most body, etc...

yes chainlink arm vehicle is in a video i got and also a small article in one of the mags this month or last. Very interesting indeed. may i suggest a hydrauilic driven buggy :p

how does this "variable wheelbase" vehicle go about doin it's stuff? i have a couple ideas, but nothing that would seem even close to the price of a 4link.

jonathan

ive seen a cruiser buggy with variable wheelbase. He uses hydraulic cylinders to push the rear links out. Basically the hydraulic cylinders move where the links attach to the frame of the truck which changes where the axle is located. This also gave him 8 degrees of rear steer too by just moving one ram out and the other in. Very confusing but i saw it in the latest Petersons 4x4 & offroad magazine. Ive attached a picture of the truck and i will try and get an up close shot of the link and hydraulic cylinder. let me know if you want a scanned copy of the page with the cruiser in the magazine.

72cruiser, I have many ideas (good thinker). But without eating this whole thread up, PM or email me, or start a new thread.

Ok, i am talking a 4 link setup with true 1/4 ellip springs made to order deal. You can do a cut spring which would be cheaper. I guess i ment to say 4 link including what ever spring you go with, 1/4, coilovers, etc..

i did see that buggy in the mag, it was not exactly my idea of use here, but very good example in the buggy. Simple design, for sure.

I dont think i will give my ideas on the detachable suspension with variable wheelbase, i think i like it to much so i am keeping it to myself, for possible use by me. $$$$ could change my mind.

Might need to get one of these world beater suspension systems out there, and show how well it works, before anyone may want to invest in it...... :slap:

I'm at 101 with my junk, via waggy 7-leafs in the rear, short side back, and 40 springs up front, short side forward, with the front hangar pushed to the very front of the frame...

It feels much better on climbs, and I thinkg the longer WB kept me fromt going over backwards when my pinion broke. (and over, and over, and..)

I was 93" before the SOA, with 35" Boggers and 2.5" lift springs w/ extended shackles, and I drag the belly less now at 101", thanks to the slight height increase, and the 38.5's. I'm kinda low as well, being able to squeak into a 7' high garage door if needed.

Oh, I also added 1.5" wheel spacers all around, making my 15x10's effectively 2" BS... works well..

Here's side shots of the rig:

http://www.rnrfab.com/rich/misc/38s/38'sfrontside.jpg
http://www.rnrfab.com/rich/misc/38s/38'srearside.jpg
http://www.rnrfab.com/rich/misc/38s/38'sside.jpg

eskimo,

How do you like your waggy springs out back? did you buy the JC whittney ones? I am right now trying to figure out what packs to run in the back, I was going to use 55s but decided to hard to replace/find, next i was thinking FJ60 rear springs with the short side back, How do the waggyes work? good flex?

PS i am shooting for something like 98-100 with my cruiser SOA

Stew

[quote author=cruzer link=board=12;threadid=6376;start=msg72244#msg72244 date=1070746024]
eskimo,

How do you like your waggy springs out back? did you buy the JC whittney ones? [/quote]

I used boneyard waggy's.. pulled 'em apart, cleaned 'em up, and painted 'em. They flex lke mad, but aren't military wrapped, and mine warped with my not-so-good wrap bar. (single bar style) I don't think they would wrap with a good wrap bar, but they sure are nice and soft, matching well with the stock 40 pack up front.

After today I'm pretty convinced on the 100 to 105 neighborhood. We were out in the washes today and I really stuggled on a particular waterfall. My wheelbase had all 4 tires trying to climb ledges at the same time. I really needed to get a different angle at the obstacle but was trapped between a wall and a boulder. I had to back off a hair and place a few rocks. My buddy behind me with longer WB drove up it with ease. I'm going to start keeping track of how many instances where wheelbase is the difference and which way the stats lean. I know this goes both ways. I've had to winch him up things that I crawled up. 8)

hate to say it....but the next obstacle will prefer your slightly shorter wheelbase....been there, had it happen....lol

Mine is ending up right close to 100".....IMO, a good number to shoot around.

Funny you should say that...today I had to winch a toy mini because it had the right (or wrong) wheelbase. Guess no matter what size you are you'll find something with your name on it.

Yup.. my 101" WB hung me on one obstacle where a damned low 90's WB FJ walked it.

But, I love being at 101... will go to around 105 for better departure angle and a longer D/S with the auto tranny though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom