Optima size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well...

The battery in the old LC went today and methinks I can now 'sneak' in the Optima upgrade. Don't have a lot of extra draw so I'm going red top. Anything else I need to be aware of? Model/part numbers or will Pep Boys be able to figure it out?

Thanks!

I seem to remember that 80's require an Orange top ... which is just a Red top with the posts reversed , for ease of connection . But a Red top would do , though you might require some longer wiring .?

T

Tiorio,
The Optima that you're looking for is the 34R. It's the 750CCA starting battery with reverse terminals. It used have an orange top. Now it is just sold as a red top with reversed terminals.
I have not had any luck with the local Pep Boys finding one.
Hope that helps.

If you can't find an reverse terminal one quickly, it's not really a big deal you just need to pull the positive wires throught the baterry housing a cople of inches and they will reach fine. There is enough slack in them to do this.

Also, a piece of 1/4 (or 1/6, etc) is needed under the battery in order for it to be high enough for it to be bolted in.

Tiorio:
For the reverse terminal Optima, here's what I used:
Optima Model Number: 34-R
Optima Part Number:: 8003-151

If you want the 'G78 Adapter' (The spacer):
Optima Part Number: 242-0041.

I give you these because Pep Boys and AutoZone locally could not find a listing for the reverse terminal Red Top (which I understand is the successor to the old 'Orange Top')

Be aware that on the Model above, you will NOT get dual terminals like you would if you use a 'standard' red top model 34. I miss having the dual terminals. The 'standard' red top will indeed fit as mentioned earlier.

Kit

Thanks for the info. guys! I kinda figured there would be more to the story than Pep Boys could deliver.

Even though I'm diagnosing the problem from a different angle now, I may have to get the Optima as part of the overall fix anyway, and Gumby's freakin' wiring upgrade is inspiring as well. What's better than an Easter feast and some good under-the-hood time anyway?

Thanks!

What's the deal with the yellow top one? I saw an 80 with a yellow top Optima in it. Are they better?

Wrench,
The Optima yellow top is a deep cycle battery. Do some research on deep cycle vs regular auto batteries to understand the difference.
-B-

Anyone have any experience with Stinger batteries? They're primarily used in car stereo competition circles... But a dry cell putting out 1700 amps has my interest peaked.

Wrench,
The Optima yellow top is a deep cycle battery. Do some research on deep cycle vs regular auto batteries to understand the difference.
-B-
Can you point me in the right direction? :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom