Optima quality (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had a 2yr old Optima red top battery fail on me. I've got a
red top that is 5yrs old in my 60 and is still cranking strong. To
add insult to injury, the shop I bought it from,(Battery Systems
here in visalia) would not warranty it. Looks like I'm through with
Optima's. Anybody had a similar experience?

Wow, that sucks. They're spendy, too. I know people go crazy over the yellow top and have heard good reviews. But for me, I couldn't justify spending that much. I've been using Autozone's with a 3 yr. full warranty for quite a while and it's done well for me. Plus their warranty exchange policy is painless. Same with Costco batteries.

I've had good luck with mine. Got 6 years on a yellow top, on it's second vehicle. Never owned the red tops. There are definitely a lot more options now days for sealed batteries.....used to be Optima was the only game in town.

I had a Red Top die in my 100-series after 4 months but I've had the another one in my 4Runner for 7 years. :meh:

Auto Zone 4 year great people,price good,warranty easy to redem in many places. Mike

It seems the quality has really fallen off in recent years. The red-top in my pickup will be 10 years old in June, still doing fine. I doubt I'll go with that brand again though.

I should have at least bought it at Costco. I bet they would have backed it up better than
the bozos I bought mine from. Today I put in a Centennial for $85.0O.

According to the owner of the local Battery Warehouse here, because of the extremely high rate of returns he's had on Red Top Optimas in the last few years, he stopped carrying them. The new owners of Optima apparently cut too many corners and ruined a great reputation. That said, my 9 year old red top is still cranking. When it goes, it will be replaced by a Platinum.

IMHO, the Odyssey sold by Sears as Die Hard Platinum is the best battery out there now. At close to $200, it's meant to last. I got a P-5 Group 35R (PC1400) for my Taco. Another option is Odyssey's new PC1500RT, a 34R for about the same amount plus shipping.

Definitely recommend getting a Battery Tender for those vehicles infrequently used.

Last edited:
That's what really suprised me with the Optima, my tacoma spends most of the time in the garage hooked up to a battery tender. thanks for the info re: Odyssey/platinum

Just had a 2yr old Optima red top battery fail on me. I've got a
red top that is 5yrs old in my 60 and is still cranking strong. To
add insult to injury, the shop I bought it from,(Battery Systems
here in visalia) would not warranty it. Looks like I'm through with
Optima's. Anybody had a similar experience?

Contact Interstate Batteries directly and tell them of the horrible customer service you are receiveing from (Battery Systems
here in visalia) as they own the Optima line now a days.:)

I've got a red optima in my cruiser that's toast. It's about 5 years old though and came in a parts cruiser I bought. It looks brand new, but won't hold a charge. I'm sold on costco deep cycle batteries for my 4wheel drives. They seem to last forever and are reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom