Optima D31 into stock 60 battery location...any actual experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, here’s the pics of my install. I’m using the threaded lugs instead of the larger lugs. And even tho I enlarged the hole in the bottom of the hood to eliminate any contact, I’m going to keep those covers on the lugs as well as the larger red & black ones I previously used to cover up the larger clamps. The last pic shows the cable I connect/disconnect when I use my winch.

8AE89AB1-9755-40CE-801A-10B66F0B5125.jpeg

6F138C3B-1B9E-4C36-B015-610F6F237536.jpeg

7377BAF5-25AF-43A9-84F4-6CB9FE4CDAD0.jpeg

48727AC2-8185-4779-B206-AA15348E6609.jpeg

. Ever put a tool down while not looking, thinking
that flat battery makes a good temporary bench and arced across the terminals?
I’m going to keep those covers on the lugs as well as the larger red & black ones I previously used to cover up the larger clamps
I seem to have an almost idiot savant ability to short battery terminals with tools. Blue Sea makes a great assortment of battery terminal covers for different clamp/cable configurations. These are #4018, which worked for my setup.
battery terminal cover.jpg

^^^
And I thought I was the only one that did this.🆘

That looks really good John. Where did you get the plug set up for your winch? I never liked the positive being permanently hooked up all the way to the winch so I usually leave it off but bolting it on when it is needed is a pain. A quick plug in would be nice.

I used Anderson Power Power 180’s. I believe I got them from Waytek, but can be had from many places.

Many ways to skin this cat. I do keep my winch ground cable hooked up constantly but not the positive side. And when I actually need to use the winch, I then connect the positive from the winch to the positive of the battery by using the Anderson PP’s.

The way I did mine, you will need 2 Anderson 180’s, sized for the gauge cable you have going from your battery down to your winch. Cut the cable and crimp on the Anderson’s. Done. Join them when you need to winch. Pull them apart when finished pulling you buddy out...well not your 4 legged Buddy, he could almost pull your rig out.🎯😂

Just feel safer this way. Some folks use a cut off switch which is fine, don’t really think one is ‘better’ than the other...I just went with the Anderson’s and they work great and offer protection.👍.

Last edited:
The way I did mine, you will need 2 Anderson 180’s, sized for the gauge cable you have going from your battery down to your winch. Cut the cable and crimp on the Anderson’s. Done.
That's what i did... with the exeption of adding a set of power studs to switch between the winch and a set of jumper cables....easy peasy....
71vy1ngsOIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

15842310848889151152649123069805.png

Last edited:
^^^
I like the idea. Can you give more detail please...pics?
Thanks.

^^^
Looks good to me...function over form. Winner!

Fear and paranoia, nothing to do with common sense. I tend to isolated trips solo,
just like to feel one less thing that can trip me up.
To be honest, I should cap the positive. Ever put a tool down while not looking, thinking
that flat battery makes a good temporary bench and arced across the terminals?

I completely understand.

I once welded a crescent wrench to my radiator that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom