Opinion on a high mileage LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all I'm looking at a 2000 LX that appears to be in good shape from the internet pics but am going to check it out today.

The biggest potential drawback I see is the high mileage of 272k on the odometer and lack of service records after 90k miles.

I have an FJ60 and love the LC models in general but need a V8 to tow my boat and the added luxury is a nice touch.

What kind of advice do you guys have for me? I'm sure the truck may need rubber goods, bushings etc and various other items you'd expect to replace on a 14yo truck but am not sure what the consensus is on high mileage LC's. They are asking $8900 for the truck so the price seems pretty good as long as the rest of the truck is in good shape.

So what should I look for and would you buy based on the limited knowledge I provided?

Thanks,

-Greg

I think the price is too high given the mileage and lack of records past 90K, since you will have to assume lots of maintenance post purchase like over $1k for timing belt/water pump. I think you should add up all the maintenance assumed necessary and go from there.

Thanks for the response, so what price would be fair if we assume $1k in near term maintenance?

Any used car I buy I do all fluids, plugs, wires, clean sensors, service trans/4wd fluids so I'll be doing that on almost any used truck I find plus some steering parts and/or shocks etc.

What about the engine itself? Is the 2UZ good with high mileage in general?

Thanks

I think the price is too high given the mileage and lack of records past 90K, since you will have to assume lots of maintenance post purchase like over $1k for timing belt/water pump. I think you should add up all the maintenance assumed necessary and go from there.

I second this assessment on the price being high. I paid 9k for a 99 with 175k and a decent history that I could dig up. Factor in about $1500- $2000k for a 90k service and associated baselining of fluids, brakes, etc.

How much Are you going to tow?

The 2000 isn't exactly an ideal tow vehicle.

Thanks guys, They are asking $8900. I figure I can get it closer to $8k. I am planning on towing a 24' bay boat. It will be tandem axle with trailer brakes. Why is the 2000 not ideal for towing? Is it the 4 spd vs. the 5spd on the newer models? Thanks for the input, I just drove a half an hour to see this truck and am getting lunch before I head over there.

Last edited:
... I am planning on towing a 24' bay boat. It will be tandem axle with trailer brakes. Why is the 2000 not ideal for towing? Is it the 4 spd vs. the 5spd on the newer models?
The LX's towing capacity is 6500 lbs.

I prefer to go with a safety margin of around 20%, ymmv.

What's the weight of the boat with gas, stuff, and trailer?

Deal-wise, imo it's over-priced...by the time you drop $1K or so on the timing belt, plus hoses and fluids, and stuff you find as you do the baseline.

Lack of records for close to 2/3 of the truck's life would cause me to pass.

Steve

I agree about the lack of service history being a concern. I still think everything has a price though

I just looked the truck over and it looks like it's been in a time capsule. Perfect condition all around inside and out. Everything works, zero rust etc. waiting to drive it and see if I can get them to a reasonable number. Keep the input coming guys. Thanks

Well I drove it and everything was great. Nice tight steering, brakes, engine was smooth.

Just couldn't get the deal done. They wanted over $9k out the door. I offered $8500

Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep looking.

for that kind of money you could almost get a high-mileage 2003+ Land Cruiser.
I guess having the updated transmission (5spd.) that comes in the 2003+ vehicles would help with towing too.

I think a 2003 with that kind of mileage (272k) would go for 11 or 12 thousand

Hello,
I agree that the juice is not worth the squeeze. I purchased a similar LX with 70,000 miles for around $4000 more. Especially as service records are missing for around 190,000 of the 270,000 total. Furthermore, judging from when the PO stopped, it seems to have stopped at the 90K Service which is a biggie.
Best,
Jack

Sounds like you have some doubts and suggest you trust your instincts. There are better one's out there and you might want to keep looking. The morning after can be rude as he!!.

Go here and start close to where you live and work your way out: http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

If the seller is asking $11,000 they know that $9,000 or less is possible. Offer low. What is the worst response you can get? No! Or maybe yes.

Last edited:
Thanks guys you're right. I probably should have thanked the sales manager on the way out. I am now looking at a black 1999 in good condition, everything works, 124k miles, timing belt done at 80k. Seller is asking $11,900 so we'll see how close we can get. What price range do you guys think I should be in? Some have mentioned I can get a newer LX for less money but I'm just not seeing those options in my area. Hope to be joining the 100 club soon..... One LC is just not enough.

Thanks guys you're right. I probably should have thanked the sales manager on the way out.

I am now looking at a black 1999 in good condition, everything works, 124k miles, timing belt done at 80k. Seller is asking $11,900 so we'll see how close we can get. What price range do you guys think I should be in? Some have mentioned I can get a newer LX for less money but I'm just not seeing those options in my area.

Hope to be joining the 100 club soon..... One LC is just not enough.

Wiht the miles, and clean service, that's probably a pretty good price. Depending on paint and interior, could vary. Did you check blue book and carfax?

Blue book shows $11,300 for that year and mileage. I haven't pulled a car fax yet. The interior looks to be in good shape for the vintage but shows some wear. Body and paint look straight and clean from the pics.

I'm looking at it in person on Monday, hoping for the best.

I was very fortunate with my 99. Bought it from someone in Charleston, SC in March 2011 for $11,000. Had 133,000 miles and had been maintained to the letter and as clean as a new one. Was even garaged day and night. Don't think this was typical but it's an example of what you can find. I looked for mine for about six-eight months. Made the deal on the phone based on what I was told and it turned out to be better than expected. Wasn't my color choice but that's the way it works.

Have spent about $5,000.00 on modifications and upgraded parts since purchased and it now has 153,000 miles. Good for another 150,000+ with me maintaining it and not depending on the other owners who may or may not tell the whole truth. I plan on keeping "Henry" for a very long time. To come out on costs you might want to plan on doing most work yourself.

Your labor is free and IH8MUD will supply the technical knowledge to do just about anything and then some. It's a load of fun to research different jobs and have them come out right.

Last edited:
The LX's towing capacity is 6500 lbs.

I prefer to go with a safety margin of around 20%, ymmv.

What's the weight of the boat with gas, stuff, and trailer?

Steve

the boat with trailer weight about 4,500 lbs and will be tandem axle with brakes.

I believe at 124k miles, you will need diff/xfer case fluids done and coolant as well. This is what I did at 120k. Also did the transmission flush, as it hadn't been done up to that point. Now at 160k and everything is humming along nicely. Except for that PS squeal at cold temps...

If you're towing that much weight, I would highly suggest holding out for a 2003+ with the 5sp tranny. I tow half the weight you do on a regular basis, but I'm doing so in the mountains and I'm really glad I bought an '03.

Well the one I was looking at today I mentioned above didn't pan out. The mechanics seemed ok but the paint and interior were pretty bad off.

Thanks for all the input, The search continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom