On road-trip having electrical issues HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.

In the middle of a time sensitive road trip. My battery gauge has been riding to the upper limit and twice all the dash lights have flicked on.

Any guesses? Can I drive on it? I need to travel 200 miles in 4-5 hours for a fishing tournament registration and can only use Wi-Fi.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your alternator is likely failing. Check the plug on the back too.

Good news is a diesel will go quite a long way without a charge, but if you're overcharging there is the potential to cause damage.

Early 90s Tercel 1991-1992 works also. Just swap the pulley. Has more amps then factory.

Thanks for the input.

So I made it the rest of the way to the event and back without another episode of cluster flashing (700 mile round trip). Do you think I should stop driving it till I get the alternator done?

Thanks again

Thanks for the input.

So I made it the rest of the way to the event and back without another episode of cluster flashing (700 mile round trip). Do you think I should stop driving it till I get the alternator done?

Thanks again
Put a proper multimeter on the battery. If you're charging any more than ~14 - 14.5V, then you could damage sensitive components.

Personally, I am partial to having alternators and starters rebuilt instead of replacing. In my town, there are a few "old school" rebuild shops that actually take things apart, diagnose them, and put them back together. In my opinion it's a better result than going with whatever reman is on the shelf at the parts store.
Look for the dirty ass building in the shady part of town. You'll know you're at the right place if they have cores sitting on shelves with 20 years worth of dust on them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom