OMG lockdown ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m old. I’ve followed this forum for years and I actively participated back when I had my 62 in 2003. I’ve got the 470 now and I love it so far I’ve done my research and the 470 is pretty darn capable. However, times have changed and now I live in Baja so my questions are this

Without lifting the vehicle because I’m in a wheelchair, what can I do to make this amazing vehicle more trail rated?

Ready
Set
Go

Cheers Baja Charlie

I am not familiar with your area, only the legendary race. What have been the limiting factors of the truck for you thus far? I know that Brandon at Coastal Offroad was able to put 35" tires on his GX without a lift. It did take a lot of "adjustments" to make it work though. Without a lift, my guess is you would need to address the ground clearance under the truck which is the TC, tank, and muffler. Depending on the tire size you choose, a re-gear might be in order.

Please describe the kind of trails you are doing and any issues you have had thus far.

Skid plate and hydraulic bump stop.
Or wheelers superbump / durobump bump stop at the least.

TRD pro fox shock might be good for GX at stock height. Need that bypass zone for Baja.

I’m old. I’ve followed this forum for years and I actively participated back when I had my 62 in 2003. I’ve got the 470 now and I love it so far I’ve done my research and the 470 is pretty darn capable. However, times have changed and now I live in Baja so my questions are this

Without lifting the vehicle because I’m in a wheelchair, what can I do to make this amazing vehicle more trail rated?

Ready
Set
Go

Cheers Baja Charlie
Cut the running boards (if you don't need the step to access) you will gain considerable clearance. Then add sliders with possible a step plate option if needed for ingress and egress.

Go with 265/70-17s in a good desert tire and you are probably good to go. I understand Pirrelli Scorpion MTR
are good in the desert. Many other good options with kevlar as well. You probably want a tire with a heavy sidewall and probably 6+ ply. FYI: 10 Ply tires ride like hell once your old...IMO.

Auxiliary Lighting may also add to your fun. Ditch lights are really handy to see to the side at night. Also, Roto Pax for extra fuel and water may be important and can be added to the OEM rack with different cross bars. Add a shovel holder for sure. I put one on my OEM rack by drilling two holes and using the rubber clamps/ straps (I think they are called Grip Fists). Do you have drawers for extra storage? You may want a awning for shade. There are some that attached to the OEM rack. I am assuming that you won't be adding a off road roof rack if mobility is an issue.

If you don't want the air bags in the rear you can do the spring conversion and use FJ Cruiser springs with only a .5" lift or 4 Runner springs maybe with no lift. You would need to see if the spring rate of the 4 Runner is adequate for the GX.

Last edited:
Baja Charlie,

I’m going to assume that trail rated means you want to go on the dirt roads in Baja. Where exactly in Baja? Ensenada? Or Cabo?

Here’s a list of things you might be able to do without a lift:
(1) Get all terrain off-road tires like Kenda Kevlar or Nitto Ridge Grappler
(2) Get a 8.2” Diff for the rear with a rear elocker. Get a used one from 2010 FJCruiser or 4Runner.
(3) Get better shocks/springs but that’s going to be tough with your no lift constraint.

I help the famous Baja Fools Pit crew for the Baja SCORE off road races by doing the time splits and pit times. We typically pit the race truck (Rob Mac) in some remote areas in Baja so I want my rig to be trail capable. I have built a few trail rated rigs and currently have a Baja built pre runner style Polaris General for harder core stuff.
I don’t need the GX to be a hard core four wheeler, just trail capable. More ideas please
Cheers Baja Charlie

Ok, my suggestions based on your info is:
1. Tires - I am sure you have plenty of experience here to know what is right for you
2. Skids - if you think aluminum will be okay, then go with that to save weight. I just got a set of BudBuilt skids (steel) and I really like them. I like that the gas tank skid bolts to the TC skid for more strength.
3. Sliders - I don't know how this will affect your ingress/egress from a wheelchair but, if you can remove the running boards for sliders then I would do it
4. Shocks - This will depend on how you approach/attack the washboards. If you are slow over this stuff, then you could go with a traditional style shock. If you attack it, Then you might want a shock with remote reservoir. I like my non-res 5100's and King makes some remote shocks for 0-2" lift $$$.
5. Ditch the rear air bags for springs. You guys are out at night in remote places and that is when Murphy will find you.
6. Locker(s) - Not so much to get further into places, but more to make sure you can get out. I would go ARB or fit a factory e-locker from a Taco.
7. Lights - You might have to get creative here. There are lots of LED options that you could make your own mounts to light things up. I have some cheap pod lights under my truck and they are surprisingly bright to light up the sides. A few 3" or 4" spots will probably be a good idea.
8. Winch?? - I am not really sure you NEED this and I am not really sure if there are usually places for you to hook to. If you are typically with other trucks, then a kinetic strap might be all you need.

As you can see, most of my suggestions are based on protection of the truck. I am 46 and still new to the off-road scene but I am continually amazed at what these trucks can do. My truck doesn't have any performance mods other than a mild lift and 33's. All my $$ has been spent on protection and recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom