OME BP-51 trucks inside! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2012 GX460 and I’m ready to start the mods. The lift kit I have been eyeing is the BP-51, how is it working for the GX crowd? I kinda like the Dobinsons MMR AMR but I hate the hose location on the front strut. But if money was no object then I would get the King, Fox, or Elka. Please help me decide!? I will be getting the JBA UCAs for sure.

I was contemplating going with the BP-51s for my GX. The only reason I didn’t is that you can’t adjust the spring preload with the coilovers still on the truck. From my understanding you have to remove the coilover that you want to adjust and place it in a spring compressor. So I went with coilovers that allow adjustments while installed. And I’ve had to adjust them a couple of times to correct the KDSS lean that happens when you lift the GX.

I think someone gave you the wrong information? The BP-51 are a threaded spring perch same as the Fox/Icon/King. Only the Bilstein require removal to adjust the spring as far as I've seen.

Skip the JBA UCA's and do the SPC adjustable units. They allow you to use the lower cams to move the spindle forward to help possibly avoid the BMC with most common tires and still be within alignment specs.

screen-shot-2018-09-12-at-2-23-49-pm-png.1787952

I think someone gave you the wrong information? The BP-51 are a threaded spring perch same as the Fox/Icon/King. Only the Bilstein require removal to adjust the spring as far as I've seen.

It states in the image for the BP-51 you posted that it needs to be adjusted before install and a spring compressor is required.

1583882012023.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn’t stop me from wanting them!
No doubt. I think they are a great shock! Just wish they'd make a collar that allowed you to adjust while on the car. I don't every want to have to deal with taking apart KDSS on the front end again.

It states in the image for the BP-51 you posted that it needs to be adjusted before install and a spring compressor is required.

View attachment 2235341
Correct but you don't need to remove them from the vehicle, you just need enough to lighten the load on the collar

Seems alot of the 200 series guys run them. There's several threads here on them. Here's a couple:

Finding opinions on suspension is harder than I thought, the LC200 group likes them but I want to hear from GX guys. Also emailed ARB about a few things and have not heard squat from them which is a turn off. Same about Coastal off-road.... I guess everyone is under rocks hiding from covid

View attachment 2235341
I think you have preload confused with rebound/ compression. The preload is the load on the spring set by the adjustment collar that sets the resting height of the suspension (the "lift"). Compression and rebound are the settings for how the suspension reacts to road conditions (soft/firm).

The BP-51s are adjustable on the fly, without compressing the springs. All you need is the wrench that comes with the kit. You can see videos of how to do it on YouTube. Very easy. I have them on my wife's 200 series and really like them.

I think you have preload confused with rebound/ compression. The preload is the load on the spring set by the adjustment collar that sets the resting height of the suspension (the "lift"). Compression and rebound are the settings for how the suspension reacts to road conditions (soft/firm).

The BP-51s are adjustable on the fly, without compressing the springs. All you need is the wrench that comes with the kit. You can see videos of how to do it on YouTube. Very easy. I have them on my wife's 200 series and really like them.
I was talking about the spring preload, I mentioned that in my first reply. I had to adjust the spring preload on my GX a couple of times after installing the icons. I’m going to adjust them again to get a bit more lift as the springs have settled. I interpret the arb instructions to mean that you have to remove the BP-51s and use a spring compressor to adjust the preload on the spring. After installing the icons myself on the GX I’d hate to have to remove and install them again to a just the ride height/spring preload.

I was talking about the spring preload, I mentioned that in my first reply. I had to adjust the spring preload on my GX a couple of times after installing the icons. I’m going to adjust them again to get a bit more lift as the springs have settled. I interpret the arb instructions to mean that you have to remove the BP-51s and use a spring compressor to adjust the preload on the spring. After installing the icons myself on the GX I’d hate to have to remove and install them again to a just the ride height/spring preload.
Got it; should have gone back to the top. That's pretty common for most adjustable suspensions. You might be able to make some adjustments while it is on the vehicle, especially in reducing preload, but the manual shows best practices and it is a lot easier to do when there is no spring load on the threaded collar (and less likely to damage threads).

Got it; should have gone back to the top. That's pretty common for most adjustable suspensions. You might be able to make some adjustments while it is on the vehicle, especially in reducing preload, but the manual shows best practices and it is a lot easier to do when there is no spring load on the threaded collar (and less likely to damage threads).
I think the difference is that with the icon, king.. etc.. the collar is a solid ring. With icon there’s a set screw that holds it in place by screwing into the threads (with a Teflon tip), the kings I think have a lock nut type of situation with the two collars. The BP-51s I think have a collar with a split on one end, like a C. Then to tighten the collar the set screw closes the C to pinch the shock body. I think this split collar cant stand the load of the spring when it’s loosened. This is why they recommend the spring compressor to adjust the preload. This is all just a guess on the BPs.

I almost pulled the trigger on the BP51’s.....I know Slee Off-road makes a bracket specific to the GX for the set up. Might want to reach out to them to get the bracket....think it was around 50$. After seeing how you like the set up I might go back and re-examine it. take Lots of pics :)

I have a set of BP-51’s on my 2015 GX and found these spring compressors on another forum. They allow you to compress the springs while mounted in the vehicle so you can make height adjustments.

Shankly Spring Compressor Tool (2... Amazon product ASIN B01M0UT55Y
The ride is so much better than the ToyTec lift I have on my GX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom