Thoughts on BP-51 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

(Excuse my in-experience) I live in Houston and recently bought a 2017 Land Cruiser. I am about getting ready for some upgrades. I want to prep the car for off-roading mostly overland trips. I have a list of things I want to do, but I thought I'd start with suspension and tires. I kept the original 18" wheels (powder coated them Black) and planning on going with OMU BP-51. The reason I am looking at the BP-51s is that I want the ability to adjust the suspension for offroading/hauling/on-road driving.

What is the general thought on the thread regarding OMU BP-51 system for the purpose i am building the Land Cruiser for?

Thanks,
John

1.jpg

@mcgaskins Thank you for the pictures. I was trying to research the largest tire size I can put with the stock wheels. Someone recommended that I go with 285/65/18. I would rather go with the larger size. I currently have 1.25" Spidertrax spacers. Did you have to make adjustments to avoid the tire rubbing, or did it fit just right?

@TonyP I want to use the car for both on-road trips that don't involve much off-roading as well as be able to handle some off-roading and hauling. I intend to buy an off-road trailer (Something like an xventure XV3) which will carry my gear and a tent. So Ideally I would like to be able to set up the suspension to ride as smooth as the stock setup for on-road trips and be able to adjust for off-roading and hauling situations.

I think the BPs would suit your situation well.
Go for it.
It'll take a few tweaks of guessing and checking to get it to ride right on-road then a few more tweaks to get them to ride on dirt but once you figure out what settings work for you it rides great. One setting change can make a big difference. And it's only a matter of 10 seconds per corner to set the Com/Reb.

Make sure the front preload is setup properly for your rig when installing since the preload out of the box is setup for a steel bumper and winch.

Last edited:
@mcgaskins Thank you for the pictures. I was trying to research the largest tire size I can put with the stock wheels. Someone recommended that I go with 285/65/18. I would rather go with the larger size. I currently have 1.25" Spidertrax spacers. Did you have to make adjustments to avoid the tire rubbing, or did it fit just right?

@TonyP I want to use the car for both on-road trips that don't involve much off-roading as well as be able to handle some off-roading and hauling. I intend to buy an off-road trailer (Something like an xventure XV3) which will carry my gear and a tent. So Ideally I would like to be able to set up the suspension to ride as smooth as the stock setup for on-road trips and be able to adjust for off-roading and hauling situations.

I had to remove the mud flaps and trim the front a tiny bit, but overall very little is needed to fit these tires on the stock wheels. There is no rubbing on the UCA and only the slightest rubbing on the driver side KDSS at full lock. Overall I’m extremely happy with the ride and looks of this setup.

556D0196-711A-4F86-9281-D874E07D254B.jpeg
259398B8-3434-40EA-A74F-182A89AD7565.jpeg
ACB6E4BD-396B-42BE-946B-5C9AA071F60F.jpeg

Hard to tell because it’s dirty but the pic shows where it rubs KDSS after full stuff and wheeling and the other 2 show where the trimming happened. Very light stuff

I had to remove the mud flaps and trim the front a tiny bit, but overall very little is needed to fit these tires on the stock wheels. There is no rubbing on the UCA and only the slightest rubbing on the driver side KDSS at full lock. Overall I’m extremely happy with the ride and looks of this setup.

View attachment 1680758 View attachment 1680759 View attachment 1680760

Hard to tell because it’s dirty but the pic shows where it rubs KDSS after full stuff and wheeling and the other 2 show where the trimming happened. Very light stuff

I you want to avoid all the cutting and rubbing go with 275/70R18 Duratracs, they fit just fine... they are 33.4x11, the Nitto's 285/70R18 are 33.98x11.5
Ridge Grappler Light Truck Tire
Wrangler DuraTrac® Sizes & Specs | Goodyear Tires

I you want to avoid all the cutting and rubbing go with 275/70R18 Duratracs, they fit just fine... they are 33.4x11, the Nitto's 285/70R18 are 33.98x11.5
Ridge Grappler Light Truck Tire
Wrangler DuraTrac® Sizes & Specs | Goodyear Tires

I had 275/70/18 Duratracs on my 14 on stock wheels, and they rubbed like CRAZY! The stock 13-15 wheels have a more conservative offset than the 16+ wheels, but in my experience they didn't work stock.

I've already added the 285/70/18 Ridge Grapplers to my truck, and they're fantastic. Not changing them out.

I had 275/70/18 Duratracs on my 14 on stock wheels, and they rubbed like CRAZY! The stock 13-15 wheels have a more conservative offset than the 16+ wheels, but in my experience they didn't work stock.

I've already added the 285/70/18 Ridge Grapplers to my truck, and they're fantastic. Not changing them out.
Interesting I have them on my stock wheels (2016 LC) and no issues (I do have Factory 1" in front)

BTW my comment wasn't toward you, obviously you already did the work (looks awesome btw) I meant it for the OP

BP-51's do incredibly well in all terrain conditions and speeds.

I cannot tell you they are "better" than Icons or Kings...because I've never owned those setups.
But I can comment on my experience with them in seriously harsh conditions:

After we all beat the heck out of our trucks in Baja for 8 days (and by "beating" I mean three trucks had LOOSE or MISSING bolts!), my BP-51's showed no signs of fading in high-speed, harsh desert runs --and I'm pretty sure I was running hardest and fastest on days as the tail-gunner...leaving space so I could catch up to the group going full blast. I hit so hard that my skids and front bumper were missing powder coat/paint, but my BP's never bottomed out. Handling was superb. Incredible at speed, especially considering I was running above 8000 pounds(!). With BP's, it really feels like the faster and harder you drive them, the better they feel. -And yet they still allow full articulation/compression in rock-crawling or deep holes, etc.

@Markuson, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I would like to know what bolts and nuts you guys had issues with. I run my 200 fairly hard here in the desert and would like to know what to watch out for.

Had BP51 and now running Icon's. Bp are good but Icon's are definitely a cut above, also easier to change the setup.
I would say better control of the mass of the truck, more comfortable at any speed, very very solid feel.

I never said anything about rebound, compression is easy to change on the remote reservoir.
On the BP's it was a pain specially on the rear shocks, at the end the adjustment rings were basically frozen solid, it was impossible to adjust event when they were out of the truck.

Of course it's more expensive, thank you captain obvious, The question was thoughts on BP-51, I gave my thoughts.

I would have kept the BP-51 if they were not Clunking, creaking and groaning and overall felt like the whole front end was falling apart on small bumps. Thankfully ARB has a great customer service and after sending me another set that had the exact same problem, they took them back.
I heard they finally corrected those issues.

I have Icons and they are easy to change settings with the CDC valve (strongly recommended). Mine only ran me $2500 on cyber Monday. I believe TRDparts4u sells them close to that price yearlong. Personally, I feel the rear Icons need to be revalved even before they go on the truck as they set it for some very heavy weight. I am planning to send mine back in soon.

I think BP51s are misleading as they are 51mm and only 2.0" in diameter, not 2.5" like Icons. It's possible they are valved better which would make a huge difference but I don't think I can get over the fact of the smaller diameter. Looking back I sort of wish I sprung for the 3.0"

I never said anything about rebound, compression is easy to change on the remote reservoir.
On the BP's it was a pain specially on the rear shocks, at the end the adjustment rings were basically frozen solid, it was impossible to adjust event when they were out of the truck.

Of course it's more expensive, thank you captain obvious, The question was thoughts on BP-51, I gave my thoughts.

I would have kept the BP-51 if they were not Clunking, creaking and groaning and overall felt like the whole front end was falling apart on small bumps. Thankfully ARB has a great customer service and after sending me another set that had the exact same problem, they took them back.
I heard they finally corrected those issues.

You never said anything about compression specificlly either, you said "easier to change the setup". Does rebound not count as the setup? Because it does for the BPs, so if we're comparing apples to apples it's not as easy with the Icons.

Right, he asked for opinions on BP-51s, not comparing to a kit that costs over twice the price. I don't see where the OP mentions Icons at all...

@Markuson, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I would like to know what bolts and nuts you guys had issues with. I run my 200 fairly hard here in the desert and would like to know what to watch out for.

I didn’t have bolt issues, and couldn’t tell you the exact bolts from memory. However...@indycole could probably tell you exact bolts/part numbers of lost bolts, since he was carrying spares and may know which of his were used.

Last edited:
I didn’t have bolt issues, and couldn’t tell you trd exact bolts from memory. However...@indycole could probably tell you exact bolts/part numbers of lost bolts, since he was carrying spares and may know which of his were used.

Will do. I’ve been slammed work-wise since returning from Mexico but this is on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom