Oil level weirdness... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So....

When checking my oil in level ground 5-30 minutes after shutting the truck off I get an oil level anywhere from 1qt to half a qt low. However after 1-2 hours, the level reads full.
I’m using TGMO 0w-20 on my 2011 LX570 with 173k miles and with an Toyota filter. Does anyone know why it takes so long for the oil to settle?

My only thinking is an bad anti drain back valve but the cartridge oem filters dont have one. Plus I get not rattle on startup and the engine is smooth and quiet.

Last edited:
All that fluid pumped up into the head and collecting under the valve covers takes a while to make it back down. That said, after an oil change I start up the truck and let it idle as I'm putting the covers back on. I can read the stick correctly after maybe 5-10 minutes. 30 minutes is more than enough time.

All that fluid pumped up into the head and collecting under the valve covers takes a while to make it back down. That said, after an oil change I start up the truck and let it idle as I'm putting the covers back on. I can read the stick correctly after maybe 5-10 minutes. 30 minutes is more than enough time.
Yea, that is what I find strange. Oil level not reading correctly after 5 minutes.

How much oil are you adding after a change? And including filter I assume?

Same behavior when oil is cold vs good and hot (not just coolant hot)?

How much oil are you adding after a change? And including filter I assume?

Same behavior when oil is cold vs good and hot (not just coolant hot)?
I add 7.9qts (really 8qts :))

Correct including the filter, until the level is at the full mark.

Sorry don't quite understand your last question.

Oil level shows 1qt or a half qt low say 10 minutes after shutting off the car. However say I leave the car off for 1-2hrs, oil level is back at the full mark.

I am not really concerned considering oil does show full in the morning but I will add some context.
Yesterday I was driving to Morro Bay - about 2 hours into the trip I stop to get gas. I park of level ground, as gas is pumping and 5-10 minutes have passed I check the oil level and it shows its half a quart low.

Weird...

So I decided to drive across a street to a plaza and grab some lunch. 15-30min pass and I go back out and check the oil level and it is back to the full mark.
Did another 400 miles, did some wheeling and same thing occurs. Oil level is low after letting the car sit for 5-10 min and shows full after letting the car sit for a longer period.

To add, I assume it is full, the oil marks are not faint or anything like that. The cold motor would give the most accurate reading right?

I replaced my PCV valve7k miles ago

Last edited:
I am not really concerned considering oil does show full in the morning but I will add some context.
Yesterday I was driving to Morro Bay - about 2 hours into the trip I stop to get gas. I park of level ground, as gas is pumping and 5-10 minutes have passed I check the oil level and it shows its half a quart low.

Weird...

So I decided to drive across a street to a plaza and grab some lunch. 15-30min pass and I go back out and check the oil level and it is back to the full mark.
Did another 400 miles, did some wheeling and same thing occurs. Oil level is low after letting the car sit for 5-10 min and shows full after letting the car sit for a longer period.

To add, I assume it is full, the oil marks are not faint or anything like that. The cold motor would give the most accurate reading right?

I replaced my PCV valve7k miles ago
I was asking whether you noticed any change in the odd behavior between the engine being cold or hot.

The owner's manual says to check level at operating temp. This does matter because the oil will expand as it warms up, raising the level noticeably. Plus when it is thinner it will tend to drain back down to the pan more quickly. Still, aside from cold oil in severe winter conditions I'd expect 5-10 minutes to be more than enough.

For the record it can take a bit longer to get the oil to operating temp than the coolant. I typically don't check the oil unless I've driven to an actual destination at least a few miles away from where I started the truck initially.

I was asking whether you noticed any change in the odd behavior between the engine being cold or hot.

The owner's manual says to check level at operating temp. This does matter because the oil will expand as it warms up, raising the level noticeably. Plus when it is thinner it will tend to drain back down to the pan more quickly. Still, aside from cold oil in severe winter conditions I'd expect 5-10 minutes to be more than enough.

For the record it can take a bit longer to get the oil to operating temp than the coolant. I typically don't check the oil unless I've driven to an actual destination at least a few miles away from where I started the truck initially.
Ah gotcha!

No odd behavior in terms of starting. I will check oil pressure between hot and cold starts.

When engine is cold oil level reads full
When engine is warm and up to operating temp, engine oil shows low after I let the truck settle for 5-10 min

If it comes alive immediately and there are no mechanical sounds that dissipate within a few seconds then you shouldn't have any issue. Immediately after an oil change there is a 1-2 second lag on oil pressure as the filter chamber pumps up.

If it comes alive immediately and there are no mechanical sounds that dissipate within a few seconds then you shouldn't have any issue. Immediately after an oil change there is a 1-2 second lag on oil pressure as the filter chamber pumps up.
agreed, not sure what the issue was but I will be switching out to 5w30 for the rest of the summer. Its hot out in SoCal anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom