Oil Cooler or Oil Temp Sensor for 1HDT/HDFT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TL/DR: Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to the 1HDT or HDFT? What is your location/style etc?

Where is the best location for an oil temp sensor?

Hey Diesel freaks,

I have searched pretty extensively and found little to nothing on the subject.

I have a 1HDT conversion in my 80 series. I'm running a green wheel Gturbo, max boost set at 20psi, PDI intercooler, new cooling system and new on-block stock oil cooler (deleting ACSD port), H151 manual trans. She's a heavy girl, as she's outfitted as a pop-top conversion that I live in, 15gal of water, all my gear, etc etc. All systems monitored on aftermarket gauge cluster pyro/coolant temp/boost pressure/oil pressure/etc. I have not been able to fit an oil temp gauge yet. Running Shell Rotella T5 15w-40 semi-synth.

After driving long distances in hot weather (2-3hrs, 85-100F) I can feel my oil viscosity dropping as it heat soaks. Oil pressure drops slightly at this point (about 5psi to 40-45psi @ 2000rpm) and there's a slight increase in... diesel-ness. Lol. Vibration, rattle, the general gravely cacophony of diesel sound. Only very slightly, but I notice it. No marked increase in coolant temp, EGTs are steady/in spec, etc.

Almost all high performance engine applications have an available aftermarket oil cooler option of some kind. I'm not pretending that my 1HDT is exactly "high performance" but she is in above stock form and my goal is long term reliability.

Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to the 1HDT or HDFT? What is your location/style etc?

I have seen one or two oil filter sandwich plates available in Australia (not cheap, mate), but no complete kits. Other than Safari Snorkel that makes a very extensive kit for the HZJ100 Armored Vehicle.

Any experience out there?

Last edited:
Is your intercooler front-mount? That would limit your options.
Maybe remote mount with a fan somewhere? My RHD HDJ81 has a bit of room forward of the diesel tank that I've been eyeing up for a trans cooler (granted front-mount would be better).

If all monitored metrics are good, I don’t see where an oil cooler is needed other than adding hoses, clamps and cooler.

Thicker oil may calm your concerns.

I'm definitely going to move to Rotella T6 Full Synth next oil change.

I'm really surprised that no one has added one. Especially with how many are upgraded and running higher boost.

I think I need to at least get an oil temp sensor plumbed in and see what those numbers are doing.

Any recommendations on where is best to read oil temp? Sump?

Isn't there already an oil-to-water cooler on the LH side of the engine?

According to ToolsRUs, run 20-50 in the summer. I just added it and I'm definitely burning WAY less oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom