Off-Road Yota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Questions and more Questions. Trying to decide if I want to purchase another Yota like an FJ40 or FJ80. I currently own a Doublecab and am not pleased with the lift options do to the IFS. I am wondering if a FJ40 would make a superior off-road vehicle or maybe another model Land Cruiser like a FJ80. I will end up driving this to work 80 miles each way and still would like to tear up the trails. With the Taco it creates problems with the CV's and there is no cheap way of getting around this that I know. Pretty much you would almost need a Chaos lift witch is about 3.6k just for the front end or convert to a straight axle and end up dumping about the same amount. This brings the reason of buying a FJ40 straight axle up front and from what I've heard a pretty sound platform to build from. I've heard issue about cruising 70 mph or above with them but nothing in great deal. I know there are some alternatives for my Taco but have only read a few ideas. One was changing the CV's out with a modified CV shaft with a Porsche joint... I haven't seen any advertise these. So if some can give me the low down I would appreciate it since I still consider myself a novice with the Toy's. I would appreciate if someone could tell me if there is a superior Land Cruiser to the FJ40 and why.
Thanks

I really do not think that you are going to 'enjoy' driving a 40 series, 80 miles each way every day. An 80 series would be a far better option, as you are not going to be gaining/losing anything milagewise compared to the 40 cinsidering whay you are looking to do with it, and the 80 will be a FAR BETTER ride, and is a very strong off road vehicle, stock out of the box..

If I was going to build a dual role vehicle, having owned many 40's, 55's, and 60 series, I would go for the 80 series in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the info. Is there alot of aftermarket options for the FJ80's and are they going to have the same issue that I have with my Taco? I am refering to the IFS and the angle put on the CV shafts.

My prado runs the same front end as the taco, and i have a 80mm [3.1/4"] lift, and could take this to 100mm [4"] lift if I drop the diff 20mm [3/4"] of which 10-15mm would effect clearance.

I can run all standard front end settings, so the car still drives well on the road, the cv's are ok, the boots dont rub on hwy travel to wear out.

I run 285/75/16 tyres on 16x8" rims, and with a little trimming of the floor near the driver and passenger floor, and some 5mm [1/4"] bump stop spacers could run 315's.

The Camburg and Total Chaos etc kits are dear, but not if you take the coil over shock out of the equation, and price just the arms etc required.

The kits use a larger cv from the tundra/100 ifs set up with the longer shafts also, which is why they go wider in track at the front. the porsche cv they use here for offroad has a 22 deg working angle from memory, and some have been using the old fwd caddy big block cv's in the tailshaft, for better vibration free angle running.

[quote author=GrounD_PoundeR link=board=19;threadid=11903;start=msg108883#msg108883 date=1077543548]
Thanks for the info. Is there alot of aftermarket options for the FJ80's and are they going to have the same issue that I have with my Taco? I am refering to the IFS and the angle put on the CV shafts.
[/quote]

One of the many great things about the 80 series...

Coils on all four corners, and solid front and rear axles, which, depending on the year truck you find and the level of goodies, could have front and rear locking diffs. If you are going to find an 80, find one with the diff locks.

Good luck!

-Steve

Is the straigtht axle only for certain years? I looked on ebay for FJ80's and am not coming up with alot of vehicles. What years were the FJ80's in production and are they still being made. I saw someone had something about a FZJ80 is this the same?

eBay Land Cruisers, organized by year:

http://listings.ebaymotors.com/plistings/list/all/category6443/index.html?from=R11&col=3&dir=-1

The FJ80 is not what you want, to be technical. It is the FZJ80, made from 1993 though 1997. Look for one with the optional front and rear locking differentials. The Lexus LX450 is almost exactly the same vehicle, and can often be found for less money in better shape, and more often has the lockers.

In 1998 the Land Cruiser became the UZJ100 and went to IFS and a V8 engine. '98 and '99 had an available rear locker.

Search the archives here for almost unlimited info - look in the 80 and 100 series forum.

Also look here:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Good luck and welcome to our obsession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom