OEM Front Spacer Install for AHC Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this point its worth sourcing upgraded front springs...
I would not be chasing preloads for something like this with that much static weight.
Since one, we dont know the spring rates up front i doubt that an LC collar and its tension will be enough.
And two it will be a pain in the ass to trial and error on the rig fiddling with adjustable collars.
Three will it even have the adjustment range if it is dial able?

I think this issue of front springs just needs to be solved, everyone can benefit from it and its the LXs only weakness IMO.

Spacers get a bad rap. In the right application, it's the right solution. There's a whole confluence of factors and it's not necessarily a one solution fits all. It happens all too often that many reach for spring rate when they should be reaching for spacers. Coilover and shocks of many types effectively use "spacers", either with an adjustable threaded perch, or c-clip perch.

That said, the LX works differently. It's combined system spring rate is progressive. Something that's hard for static shocks to tune for which is why most tend to be linear. But since our system is active, it can use it to best effect. Pre-loading to account for additional weight on a progressive system is effectively increasing spring rate to a degree and can be a good solution. Don't want to get too crazy with spring rate, like many LCs do, and suffer the consequence of poor articulation and ride. Many more on that side of the house should be using spacer lifts (unless built heavy).

By shock spacer do you mean the collar spacer/preload collar that goes at the base of the coil?

Meaning the coil spacer is a “top spacer plate” that goes at the top of the coil?

Sorry nomenclatures. By shock spacer, I mean the LC OEM type that fits on the top plate, and pushes the coilover assembly down. Spring spacer, the one that fits within the coilover sandwiched in the spring.

Spacers get a bad rap. In the right application, it's the right solution. There's a whole confluence of factors and it's not necessarily a one solution fits all. It happens all too often that many reach for spring rate when they should be reaching for spacers. Coilover and shocks of many types effectively use "spacers", either with an adjustable threaded perch, or c-clip perch.

That said, the LX works differently. It's combined system spring rate is progressive. Something that's hard for static shocks to tune for which is why most tend to be linear. But since our system is active, it can use it to best effect. Pre-loading to account for additional weight on a progressive system is effectively increasing spring rate to a degree and can be a good solution. Don't want to get too crazy with spring rate, like many LCs do, and suffer the consequence of poor articulation and ride. Many more on that side of the house should be using spacer lifts (unless built heavy).

Sorry nomenclatures. By shock spacer, I mean the LC OEM type that fits on the top plate, and pushes the coilover assembly down. Spring spacer, the one that fits within the coilover sandwiched in the spring.
Very good.

This may seem obvious but…from a functional standpoint, does it matter whether you purchase a spacer for the base or at the top of the strut?

Are there upsides to either?

Someone feel free to correct me. But with AHC, it doesn’t matter whether spacer is inside the spring retainer or on top. In “normal” suspension, inside would preload the spring and on top would set the truck higher. In AHC, it doesn’t matter, they both preload the spring, and moving height sensor does the “stacking.”

No doubt on the shock spacers / shims, i can feel my travel bottom out on bad ruts already. No added weight just the sensor adjustment.

Its really the precarious nature of preload on the springs that im thinking is a waste of time on AHC. If we knew where to aim, it would be maybe be worth pursuing but we really dont. And I wouldn’t start with a LC lift solution either.

The LC is already using way more spring rate up front and i would think their coils can be easily augmented not based on assumptions about the system but more on obvious weight added to the rig. That’s an easy equation to balance for. In our case, the first thing i would try to do is replace our coils. Then maybe tweaking them from there wouldnt be a shot in the dark.

I may actually try those sumo springs now that i think about it if they are reasonably priced as an experiment.

Someone feel free to correct me. But with AHC, it doesn’t matter whether spacer is inside the spring retainer or on top. In “normal” suspension, inside would preload the spring and on top would set the truck higher. In AHC, it doesn’t matter, they both preload the spring, and moving height sensor does the “stacking.”
I agree except with the part that inside would preload the spring on a normal suspension. The inside spacer would also raise the truck.

Has anyone attempted to stack 2 of the 10mm OEM strut spacers? Seems like there is enough room to clear the AHC line from the tower. Just need some longer bolts to re-secure the assembly and have enough thread engagement. To prevent the shock from over compression I would upgrade and extend the bump stops 10mm since it's been proven that on extremely extremely hard hits the tires can hit the fender liners and battery box or whatever. (Not my experience, but heard from Slee that it has happened to customers rigs)

I'd also like to do 20mm spring spacer in the rear to support the lift height so it's not solely relying on the higher pressure of the AHC to provide the lift height.
No doubt on the shock spacers / shims, i can feel my travel bottom out on bad ruts already. No added weight just the sensor adjustment.
Is that in normal or "comfort" mode? If you were in "sport" mode would the same result happen?

Has anyone attempted to stack 2 of the 10mm OEM strut spacers? Seems like there is enough room to clear the AHC line from the tower. Just need some longer bolts to re-secure the assembly and have enough thread engagement. To prevent the shock from over compression I would upgrade and extend the bump stops 10mm since it's been proven that on extremely extremely hard hits the tires can hit the fender liners and battery box or whatever. (Not my experience, but heard from Slee that it has happened to customers rigs)

I'd also like to do 20mm spring spacer in the rear to support the lift height so it's not solely relying on the higher pressure of the AHC to provide the lift height.

Is that in normal or "comfort" mode? If you were in "sport" mode would the same result happen?

That's what I intend to do when my schedule allow, as I have all the parts. I have an aftermarket 1/4" (6.4mm) spacer that I intend to stack on the OEM spacer. Then shim down the bump stop just a tad. Hopefully less than 6mm, as I hope to get marginally more stroke. I'll examine the front shock rod to see how much more room there is in the stroke to determine if it's close to bottoming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom