OEM Dunlops on ice and snow--your opinion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2018 200 series first time on ice and snow-- appallingly bad! Had 100 series with Michelin Defenders that were much better.

Are Dunlop tires that bad, or is it the 200 series? Are these tires more suitable in Saudi Arabia than the upper Midwest?

There no good tires on ice unless you have them spiked, but yes Dunlops are not that good. Running on Defenders myself on 20" wheels. 18" with Dunlops sit in storage collecting dust.

They don't call them, "DunFlops" for nothing.

It's not your rig, it's the tires that are bad in ice and snow.

HTH

Traction on ice and snow is all about your tires. Few, if any, all season tires are any good on ice and snow, particularly after some wear. Your best bet is to run a dedicated snow tire in the winter (e.g., Nokian or Blizzak).

^^^ what they said. I ran the dunlops for 1 summer. They were a good passenger car street tire, did good in the sand (aired down), terrable in loose rock and mud. I never tried them in the winter. I do a lot of offroading in the summer and I’m in Alaska. I run KO2 in the summer And studded Nokians the winner.

I also 2nd that KO2s are good in fresh snow but pretty bad on ice. Also if I didn’t off road I wouldn’t run KO2s.

^^^ what they said. I ran the dunlops for 1 summer. They were a good passenger car street tire, did good in the sand (aired down), terrable in loose rock and mud. I never tried them in the winter. I do a lot of offroading in the summer and I’m in Alaska. I run KO2 in the summer And studded Nokians the winner.

I also 2nd that KO2s are good in fresh snow but pretty bad on ice. Also if I didn’t off road I wouldn’t run KO2s.

Dumb flops aren’t good in rain either
Ah! Even more relevant. Let's ask that question: If one really didn't off-road to any extent, and was not worried about sojourning on snow and ice, what would be a general purpose road tire that had to contend with rain?

Ah! Even more relevant. Let's ask that question: If one really didn't off-road to any extent, and was not worried about sojourning on snow and ice, what would be a general purpose road tire that had to contend with rain?

Michelin LTX MS/2

Lots of folks like K02s and I have a set on my truck, but I take my LC off-road. The K02s are heavier (thus more unsprung weight), noisier, and get worse fuel economy than a highway tire like the MS/2. The MS/2 doesn't look as cool as the K02s, but it will ride and drive better.

Those Dunlops are what I refer to as "lowest bidder" tires. A poor tire that runs quiet to sell the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom