October 2022 Club Run - Anza-Borrego or Miller-Lockwood? Or both? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Discussion at our August club meeting opened up the following two suggestions for our October Club Run:

1) Anza Borrego - Though the wildflowers will be long gone, so should be most of the summer heat, making this a good time to visit the park for a day run and/or possible overnight camping (maybe Blair Valley or Little Blair Valley?). There are several fun trails in the area (Oriflamme Canyon, Sandstone Canyon, Canyon Sin Nombre, Coyote Canyon, etc...). Possibly the weekend of October 15-16.

2) Miller-Lockwood - There was also some talk about a "Fright Night" style Halloween weekend run (Halloween falls on a Monday this year). Reaction was mixed on having this as a "night run", mainly due to the length of the trail (and, okay, some of us are scared - ME - to do a night run). However, other options would be starting the trail a bit later in the day, and arriving at a camp area a bit after dark. This would possibly be October 29-30. Please note: We need a Trail Leader for this run. I have out-of-town company that weekend, so I won't be able to attend this run.

Will you please review your schedules & your "memory banks" of the above areas, and do any trail research you'd like to do? Then, I would appreciate it very much if you would weigh-in with your thoughts on each of the possible runs. Thanks!

Discussion at our August club meeting opened up the following two suggestions for our October Club Run:

1) Anza Borrego - Though the wildflowers will be long gone, so should be most of the summer heat, making this a good time to visit the park for a day run and/or possible overnight camping (maybe Blair Valley or Little Blair Valley?). There are several fun trails in the area (Oriflamme Canyon, Sandstone Canyon, Canyon Sin Nombre, Coyote Canyon, etc...). Possibly the weekend of October 15-16.

2) Miller-Lockwood - There was also some talk about a "Fright Night" style Halloween weekend run (Halloween falls on a Monday this year). Reaction was mixed on having this as a "night run", mainly due to the length of the trail (and, okay, some of us are scared - ME - to do a night run). However, other options would be starting the trail a bit later in the day, and arriving at a camp area a bit after dark. This would possibly be October 29-30. Please note: We need a Trail Leader for this run. I have out-of-town company that weekend, so I won't be able to attend this run.

Will you please review your schedules & your "memory banks" of the above areas, and do any trail research you'd like to do? Then, I would appreciate it very much if you would weigh-in with your thoughts on each of the possible runs. Thanks!
I am interested in the Anza Borrego overlanding(1night camping?) event. The dates mentioned would work for me. I believe Adam at the July meeting mentioned a specific area of interest for possible trails, camping? If anyone who was present at that meeting could recall what Adam mentioned ?

Marc

Anza-Borrego won’t work for me.
Miller-Lockwood fits my schedule. I probably ran Miller Jeep trail 20+ years ago (in a stock Cherokee) but can’t recall Lockwood. I could do a pre run to Miller in September since I won’t make the club monthly run. Anyone interested in a day run to Miller-Lockwood?

Anza-Borrego won’t work for me.
Miller-Lockwood fits my schedule. I probably ran Miller Jeep trail 20+ years ago (in a stock Cherokee) but can’t recall Lockwood. I could do a pre run to Miller in September since I won’t make the club monthly run. Anyone interested in a day run to Miller-Lockwood?
Depending upon dates?
I could do that

Marc

I'm up for Anza.

Anza borrego: out of town again.

30 sec claim to fame: my family are direct descendants of Juan Bautista de Anza. My niece's name is Anza.

I've been dreaming of doing an expedition that traces his American routes w. Her as the pilot or co-pilot. She has other ideas....read not interested:-(

Depending upon dates?
I could do that

Marc
Marc and I connected offline and tentative planned for a pre-run to Lockwood/Miller on Saturday September 3rd. I looked into the route: There is a Flying J at Frazier Mountain Park Rd just west of I-5. We can meet there around 8 am. We’ll drive to the trailhead about 12 miles west off Lockwood Valley Road. The dirt trail is about 30 miles long and ends at Hungry Valley at I-5. I estimate that from I-5 back to I-5 will take about 4 hours. TrailsOffroad rates this trail a 3 on a scale of 1-10 (for reference Rubicon mandatory route is a 7 with optional sections at 9).
Post here or let us know if you are interested in joining this day run.
Disclaimer: this is NOT a club sanctioned event.

Marc and I connected offline and tentative planned for a pre-run to Lockwood/Miller on Saturday September 3rd. I looked into the route: There is a Flying J at Frazier Mountain Park Rd just west of I-5. We can meet there around 8 am. We’ll drive to the trailhead about 12 miles west off Lockwood Valley Road. The dirt trail is about 30 miles long and ends at Hungry Valley at I-5. I estimate that from I-5 back to I-5 will take about 4 hours. TrailsOffroad rates this trail a 3 on a scale of 1-10 (for reference Rubicon mandatory route is a 7 with optional sections at 9).
Post here or let us know if you are interested in joining this day run.
Disclaimer: this is NOT a club sanctioned event.
Tell me more...

Tell me more...
Lockwood Miller was discussed at last meeting as a possible night run on the last weekend of October. Since none of us have been there for a while, I wanted to do a day run to scout it out thus it’s not a club event.
Let me know if you want to join and we can work something out for the day. Should be an easy end to end run. There are a couple of nice spots along the way if you and anyone else would be interested in spending the night. I won’t be able to camp though.

Lockwood Miller was discussed at last meeting as a possible night run on the last weekend of October. Since none of us have been there for a while, I wanted to do a day run to scout it out thus it’s not a club event.
Let me know if you want to join and we can work something out for the day. Should be an easy end to end run. There are a couple of nice spots along the way if you and anyone else would be interested in spending the night. I won’t be able to camp though.
Due to the heat wave, the recent fire in the area, and some trail damage on my rig, there will NOT be a scout run this weekend September 3.

I'd love Anza and my son/DIL would love to come with their Tacoma Off Road. October 15-16 is out though. Their anniversary is October 14 and I have my MS 100 mile bike ride is October 15-16.

I'd love Anza and my son/DIL would love to come with their Tacoma Off Road. October 15-16 is out though. Their anniversary is October 14 and I have my MS 100 mile bike ride is October 15-16.
Anza-Borrego: The squeeze in 1995. Getting through both directions!
147057FD-1A86-4C98-A599-C633C05937B8.jpeg

Anza-Borrego: The squeeze in 1995. Getting through both directions!View attachment 3105863
I only know one 80 that's gone thru the squeeze. Their Tacoma is as big or bigger than our 80's so I personally wouldn't attempt it with it either.

I only know one 80 that's gone thru the squeeze. Their Tacoma is as big or bigger than our 80's so I personally wouldn't attempt it with it either.
If an 80 went through The Squeeze, it must have been liberally greased up with Crisco! Some info I found out after our club meeting and Squeeze discussion was that (according to at least one writer) The Squeeze is just barely wide enough for a Jeep Wrangler JL. An 80 is about 3 inches wider than a JL. I'd not want to try it in my 80!

If an 80 went through The Squeeze, it must have been liberally greased up with Crisco! Some info I found out after our club meeting and Squeeze discussion was that (according to at least one writer) The Squeeze is just barely wide enough for a Jeep Wrangler JL. An 80 is about 3 inches wider than a JL. I'd not want to try it in my 80!
Nope, squeeze isn't worth it in an 80. It's also just off camber enough to take of the DS back corner of your RTT!

UPDATES:

1) Anza-Borrego: Is the weekend of October 22-23 better for everyone? I can't make it that weekend, but I might not be able to make the prior week, either, so don't let my schedule influence the decision. Either way, we'll need a volunteer Trail Leader/Run Coordinator.

2) Miller-Lockwood: Is this still something the club would like to do on October 29-30? The Route Fire was south of that area, near Castaic, so I don't think the Gorman/Hungry Valley area was too impacted by that fire (as of today, CalFire shows it 98% contained).

Hello fellow club members, At our September meeting yesterday 9/11, We discussed among other things the October club run for Anza borrego state park area's. It was agreed upon that these are the dates for this event either 10/21(Optional), 10/22,10/23 . As of this posting we have at least half a dozen drivers who showed interest that were present at the club meeting yesterday . So this club trip is now on the schedule accordingly . I would appreciate if anyone would be willing to be a trail leader for this club event, please respond to this post when you can . Anza borrego state park in fall is great weather . And there is always an abundance of scenery and possibly wildlife to experience .

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom