OBA Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to install an OBA system and have a question concerning the air tank. When looking a various setups and diagrams others have done, it seems common to run two lines to the air tank (in & out). Is it acceptable to run a single line to the tank? Or will the system have problems?

Below is my layout sketch of the system.

FWIW: The tank is going to be mounted in an 80 where the spare tires sits.
OBA.jpg

its fine to use the same line. i had my truck set up that way for years with no problems :D

Shane

Perfect! Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks.

where are you ordering all this from? If you were willing you could post location, part numbers, and cost of parts for others to use. looks good
thanks
mike

1. YORK bracket and air manifold - Slee.
  2. 210 YORK compressor, 2.5 gal Viair tank, adjustable pressure switch ($10!!), and a clutch start switch (99¢) - eBay.
  3. 3/8 Hose, fittings, 150 psi pop-off, check valve, and drain cock, and various fasteners (zip ties, clamps and such) from McMaster-Carr.
  4. 0-160psi Mini pressure regulator w/ gauge and 0-160psi pressure gauge (KOBALT brand) - Lowes
  5. [edit] Leader hose for compressor - Amazon! [/edit]
I shopped around for everything and got pretty good prices IMO. The only thing I paid full price for was the bracket kit from Slee. Which is top notch BTW. The bracket and pulley are beautiful. Prices for compressor, tank, and pressure switch will vary depending where you buy.

I can put a list together of the part #s when I get it together. I'm waiting for the tank and compressor to arrive (+ a belt from Slee), so I can get started on the install.

Last edited:
Are you going to use a moisture filter between the York and the manifold? Can't put my hands on it right now, but I have seen it in other OBA diagrams.

Nice diagram. I hope to tackle this project in April.

Good luck.

nakman said:
Agreed on the single line to the tank.. it's all molecules performing osmosis, right? Going from areas of greater concentration to areas of lesser concentration...

But why are you regulating it after the manifold?
Regulation after the manifold is for air tools and such. Most tools (IIRC) don't recommend 90+ psi and I have my system pressure set @ 130 psi max. Might crank that up a tad though.

77TLCFJ40 said:
Are you going to use a moisture filter between the York and the manifold? Can't put my hands on it right now, but I have seen it in other OBA diagrams.

Nice diagram. I hope to tackle this project in April.

Good luck.
Some have the filter, some don't. I'm considering adding an oil filter as I have discovered oil in my tank already.

See the write up and pictures here (in the 80 section).

Regulation after the manifold is for air tools and such. Most tools (IIRC) don't recommend 90+ psi and I have my system pressure set @ 130 psi max. Might crank that up a tad though.

The tools will be just fine with 130 psi, make it simple, ditch the regulator.

The tools will be just fine with 130 psi, make it simple, ditch the regulator.

I agree, especially if you're trying to bust a big nut free (like a pinion?)... having 130 in there makes a nice difference. But I keep a small regulator in with the tools that I can just pop in line before the tool, if ever needed. So I guess if I ever need to drive somewhere then use the trim nailer, or something. :rolleyes:

Are regulators unreliable?

They aren't unreliable, but they don't like dirt, water, rust and can clog up. Most common air tools will operate just fine at 130 psi, so why add something that's unnecessary?

Whoops. Too late. At least I didn't spend a bunch of money on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom