NV Registration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
So I'm importing a 95 Troopy, and looking for advice for registration. It makes landfall in FL, and was initially looking at registering it there and driving it to NV, but with the COVID-19 drama going on, I'm not able to go pick it up and register it until everything settles down.

The alternative is to have it transported here on trailer, and register it here once things open up. I'm not sure how it would be judged on emissions tests, so I'm guessing I need an exemption. The option would be either a classic vehicle or classic rod plate. The troopy has a pop-top...would that exclude the classic vehicle because it being modified? Does the DMV care? For classic rods the paperwork makes it sound like only 1967 and earlier are exempt from emissions testing. Is NV registrations a dead end and I should just be patient with my FL method or is it doable here without much risk? Is there some other avenue I'm not even aware of?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

As far as classic vehicle or exemption, I think you can still do it. They have a stipulation as to how many miles per year it can be driven, but at least as of this point they've not confirmed any mileage for mine. You just fill out a form and you write down what the odometer reads when you register. Then the only other dumb thing if you physically have to go in each year and register it, it cannot be done online.

Btw you can still get custom plates if you want on a classic vehicle.

Having to go in person each year is a huge drawback. The DMVs here are insane. You aren't able to go to a AAA or anything and complete it?

As of now, only Washoe and Clark counties require smog. As long as it is old enough, classic rod plates are a good option.

Having to go in person each year is a huge drawback. The DMVs here are insane. You aren't able to go to a AAA or anything and complete it?

You must have never had the pleasure of visiting a California DMV! :bang: Nevada DMV is 5 star in comparison! I have my 40 registered as a classic rod and my Bronco as a classic vehicle. So I make two trips per year, one in Jan and one in July. I make appointments online and am in an out in less than an hour. I normally try to do a Friday or Monday and take the day off from work. I dedicate the days to working on the vehicle I just registered or hitting a trail and I get to enjoy a 3-day weekend too.

Mileage limit for both is 5K annually. I have heard that if you make a mistake on the mileage form they will require odometer inspection, so be very, very thorough with tracking what you report each year.

Mileage limit for both is 5K annually. I have heard that if you make a mistake on the mileage form they will require odometer inspection, so be very, very thorough with tracking what you report each year.
I've never seen them verify anything for this in the almost 4 years I've owned mine though. But I'm lucky if I drive 1k miles per year. I don't use it so often.

What concerns me is the "has not been customized" part of the plate requirements. For the initial inspection Im thinking they might have issue with the pop top. Anyone have experience with one?

You might be okay just on the 20 year exemption. In my experience ANYTHING you do at NV DMV with out of the mainstream registration in very dependent on the person you are dealing with. What I am saying is if you don't get the answer you want try coming back another day and hope for a different person.

What concerns me is the "has not been customized" part of the plate requirements. For the initial inspection Im thinking they might have issue with the pop top. Anyone have experience with one?

Last I saw is "has not been modified" is a difference between "Classic Vehicle" and "Classic Rod." Classic rod doesn't have that stipulation....

1587490496032.png

1587490511618.png

So as long as your TLC is 20+ years old, you should be safe to use the classic rod registration.

There is no vehicle inspection for registration unless they smell something fishy with your paperwork. They will inspect the VIN to make sure it matches your title paperwork, but most of the folks at the DMV know very little about TLCs and what is stock and what isn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom