Now what broke? repairs, mods, need help etc. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiseOrlando

Conveniently Enhanced
Threads
I wanted to start a thread where we could chat about what we might be working on. Since many of us hang out on different areas of mud, we might miss the collective wisdom of the group in working on an issue. Or, someone might be able to offer a hand with a project/problem.

I'll start. I've been working on my alternator off and on since a couple of weekends ago in Ocala when it crapped out on me. Since then I've fixed the alternator, but decided I might as well plunge in and upgrade the sucker while I'm at it. I bought a special bracket from another mud member to fit a 150A Sequioa alternator there, and I just got back from a local junkyard with said alternator in hand - $65. Not a bad deal at all. I stopped into Advance and got it checked, and it works just fine. I also have a new set of brushes for it (might as well, eh?) that I'll replace before changing it out.

For this project, all it should take is the bracket and changing the pully on the front with the one on my stock alternator. I'll then shelve the stock one.

I'm also upgrading the wiring on my battery to mount the AGM Sears DHP battery in there. The terminals are on the wrong side, and although Rocky's suggestion of flipping it upside down was interesting, I don't think it'll be a good long-term solution ;)

And oh, I got a few LED's in as well. I'll be experimenting with dash light colors - this is white, red and green in the attached photo. And oh, a few new overheads as well. If anyone else is interested in some LED's let me know.

image-1868901400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be working on making my front shaft about 2 inches longer . I think that will keep it from falling out .

Need to check all fluids and give it a good grease job , maybe I'll do that while I have my front shaft out .

I need to pull the front right tire apart and clean out the mudd from Tenn .

I,m sure there is other things but thats it for now .

Speaking of tires, I talked about this to a few folks in Ocala... how many would be interested in some air soft beads for balancing your tires? I've got a wholesale hookup on them - I should have a batch soon, but wanted to see if anyone else might be interested.

If you don't know, you can use these airgun beads to balance out your tires. You don't need anything else, they just work.

I'll play too. Since ocala I got a used rear locker actuator that didn't work from another mud member and took the brushes out of it and justin and I re-soldered them into my actuator. Now my lockers work again:steer: I went to a junkyard that I heard had an fj80 that I swiped a cdl button so I can do away with the extra hazard button I've been using for a locker button. I also gota new dimmer switch to try to fix my dash which has never lit up because of the previous owners botched stereo install and between that and carter helping me figure out which wire to cut I now have dash lights.
I ordered some vents from eBay to put in my hood.
IMG_20120721_213344.jpg

Now as soon as I get paid I'm buying raptor liner to do the sides up to the windows and the hood center in black.I'm excited to have it done. Its gonna be bad ass.:bounce:
I am interested in getting some led lights carter and the last guy on here that sold them was such a screw up he refunded me other peoples money when I hadn't paid him yet so I didn't order from him so let me know what you can put together.

dannyp could I get the location of the 80 in the junkyard you found? thanks

Its at langstons on 301. I'd call to see if they have what you need they have a 50$ lot minimum. 8139887341

Last edited:
I was just at a junkyard yesterday in Orlando - the biggest and best organized I'd ever seen. I asked if they had any 80's and was told they never get them. Apparently they're so valued they never get scrapped around here. So Danny I say you found a unique one!

I really think cruiser parts buys them all. When I was looking for an actuator for mine I called every yard on the east coast that I could find listings for and no one had more than 1 and none of them locked. Cruiser parts said they had 65.

Parts? PARTS!?! You have the biggest 80 graveyard in the state!

What do you mean you want to start a thread?...that's exactly what this forum needs is more current events and on going activities. Git er done son!

Spent the past 3 weeks getting my ass kicked by a Land Cruiser.

Three weeks ago the green 60 developed what I thought is a rod knock after coming back from Orlando. The noise was a dead ringer for a rod knock, so I thought. Every one else that heard it agreed.
It was that familiar metallic knock that changed pitch and volume according to the load on the engine.

I pulled the oil pan and rod bearings. All looked good. Mic'd the journals, plastigauged the bearing clearance. All was fine. Put it back together, started the engine up, it still knocked.

Next i pulled the transmission out of the vehicle, checked the flywheel bolts. They were fine. Flywheel dowel was good with perfectly round holes in the flywheel with tight fitting bolts.
Started the engine again. The engine still knocked.

Next the engine came out of the vehicle. I disassembled it as all the way. I mean BARE. Down to bare block. There was no cracked pistons, loose wrist pins or anything wrong.
Blew out and washed out all oil galley passages in the block and crank. No debris found. Mic'd crank again. All journals were perfectly round.
I looked everything over with a fine tooth comb.

The only thing I found, and wasn't sure it would be related to the knocking or not was while rotating the engine by hand to set the valve lash, I noticed a whistling of air out the hole of one of the injector nozzles where the high pressure fuel line would attach.
None of the other injectors did that. So a bad injector was found.

It's the ONLY thing I found that wasn't right with the engine.

Engine is back in and all is well. I hate to think I went through all that because of an injector. I feel humble now. Kinda worn out too.

I hate to think you went through all that because of your injector...I guess that we can conclude that when you have "a whistling of air out the hole" you don't need "a fine tooth comb".

I hate to think you went through all that because of your injector...I guess that we can conclude that when you have "a whistling of air out the hole" you don't need "a fine tooth comb".

I usually need toilet paper....

FL cruiser said:
Spent the past 3 weeks getting my ass kicked by a Land Cruiser.

Technically, it was an Isuzu, not a Toyota that kicked your ass ;)

40TUDE, the parts I'm looking for now are the front brake lines with the bolts that hold it in place, went to napa and was told they would have to ship it from Calif. auto zone could not get it. I have a 91 that used to belong to Luis, He sold it to Omar, and I got it from Omar. I know Luis went throught the engine and did the head gasket. The problem I have is that I gave the cruiser to my daughter and she bad with cars. Just add gas and go. Got it back when the brakes didn't work (lines where leaking ) engine would just run (put it on trailer) power sterring leaks both rear windows don't work needs a new skid plate for gas tank exhust needs work ect.. Don't know how anything works, I've only drive it on and off a trailer.So want to do is fix the brakes first, then go from there. charlie

Which brake lines? I have exhaust, and gas tank skid. The window problem is almost never a broken motor for what its worth, there is almost always another cause. Shoot me a pm or email if you want.

I have pricing from CDan on new OEM soft lines for my 94. Not sure if it's the same as your 91 tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom