Normal amount of condensation from AC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was messing around with my AHC over the weekend and had the air conditioning running for a few minutes while in the garage. Pretty quickly I noticed a water dripping and a small puddle forming. I know some condensation is normal, but this seems excessive. What do y'all think?

13B16B4E-1044-41BF-B1B9-57CC17BA42A6_1_105_c.jpeg

998B1830-F751-4943-A6C5-F30AD9D5E6DA_1_105_c.jpeg

You’re going to have more condensation right now then you are used to due to the amount of humidity in the air. If it’s draining and it only looks like water and doesn’t stink like mildew you’re fine.

I did a compressor job for a friend yesterday, by the time I was done charging the system there was a puddle bigger than that. Definitely normal for this time of year.

Last edited:
Some of our drivers have been complaining about their a/c going out and no air through the vents. With the design and high humidity they have a tendency of icing up.
I tell them to turn off the compressor till one can feel a gradual flow of cool air come back, turn it back on and go to cab recirculate, presto.

If you have a cabin filter would be sure it is clean. The fan speed also plays a part in the amount of condensation. Slower the speed the longer it takes air to cross the coil. If the coil is below the dew point condensation collects. It runs long enough droplets form and run down the coil and drain out. Out west home air evaporator fan is usually on higher speeds since we are mainly need to drop the air temperature. In the South and East the evaporator fan is usually at a lower speed because drying the is just as big a concern and lower the temperature.

Some of our drivers have been complaining about their a/c going out and no air through the vents. With the design and high humidity they have a tendency of icing up.
I tell them to turn off the compressor till one can feel a gradual flow of cool air come back, turn it back on and go to cab recirculate, presto.

Turning the compressor on too quickly could cause it to just freeze up again. Once the coil melts enough that air passes thru it that will be cool as the ice melts. Guessing with the dusty environment your trucks are have a good change the evaporator coils are dirty. If they have a cabin filter would check that first. If not could should be checked. Years ago did some A/C work at trucking companies south of I-10 in west Phoenix. Inside the loading dock area would have a small office. Those the condenser coils would plug with dirt. Since the whole office was inside the loading dock nothing was water proof. Make challenging to clean the coils. Not sure your trucks are as dirty as those office roofs but probably guessing still a pretty dirty environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom