Noob advice for shopping imported JDM 80's (HDJ81) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've been looking at, and driving 80 series for several months trying to find one. I've decided to start looking at diesel imports. I've spent hours searching the forums, but I haven't found a "Beginners guide to Diesel vs petrol/24V vs 12V". Is there a thread I'm missing that explains things to be aware of, things to look out for, general noob purchasing advice on JDM imports? I'm not looking for importing advice, just JDM vehicle info most Americans wouldn't be aware of. 24v power system is a concern for me.

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place, or repetetive.

I recently imported an HDJ81. Mine is 12V. I didn't even know about any 24V setups. It does have two batteries, but they are parallel, not series, so the voltage is unchanged, but the current is doubled.

I will be glad to answer any questions about the HDJ81.

Starter is 24V, there is a series/parallel switching system to provide it that voltage and it is fairly simple to convert to a 12V starter if you wish to.

Rest of truck is 12V.

@Dilspec also has a great diesel 80 and might be worth chatting with about his take on things.

You'll have to look at a number of maintenance related items, but most importantly expect to baseline it unless you get a rig from @SteveJackson.

Maintenance items
Timing Belt/Water Pump/Belts
Solid fuel system (Fuel injection pump/injectors)
Engine/crankcase blow by (common with 1HDT)
Turbo shaft play
Rust
Etc,.

Easier to buy a truck that is already state side unless you plan on traveling to the country you're importing from.

The diesel 80’s came in LHD, they are HDJ80’s and have just about everything a 81 has.

I have worked on a number of 81’s, extensively. I would be wary of an 81. Rust and abused mechanically is what I have seen.

Mr. Jackson is your man for a JDM truck.

Cheers

The diesel 80’s came in LHD, they are HDJ80’s and have just about everything a 81 has.

I have worked on a number of 81’s, extensively. I would be wary of an 81. Rust and abused mechanically is what I have seen.

Mr. Jackson is your man for a JDM truck.

Cheers

Can I get some clarification on regions? Asking because you definitely know more than I do.

Are you saying, in general, HDJ's from Japan are more abused than those from South America? Europe?

If so, I need to correct some assumptions.

I am saying region should not be the judge, the truck it’s self should be what you judge. That and you need to know what to look for.

I have seen 81’s where axle parts look amazing and low mile but engines and trans are wasted.

Cheers

I am saying region should not be the judge, the truck it’s self should be what you judge. That and you need to know what to look for.

I have seen 81’s where axle parts look amazing and low mile but engines and trans are wasted.

Cheers

Thank for the clarification.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting a 92 HDJ81 VX from a import company. It’s insanely clean (pretty sure it’s never been in the dirt). Has the 1HD-T engine, manual transmission, manual locking front hubs, and H4 button from the factory.
119,000 miles on it. The manual transmission, and rear wheel drive with front drive line fully disengaged make it faster, and more fun than any 80 I’ve ever driven. I’ll be doing a build thread. Unfortunately, no lockers, but it was such a unicorn I had to get it. I’ve done nothing other than maintenance so far, timing belt, water pump, etc..

D53B77DF-C8D4-44A5-91A3-82F63835ECB0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom