Non Toyota Tundra pads/rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are many cheap sets of pads/rotors for Tundras on eBay. I'm doing the Tundra brake upgrade on a '98 4Runner and have the calipers. Any suggestions of which pads and rotor sets to buy from eBay or anyone else?

Thanks - Steve

The guys I know running the Tundra calipers are using OEM Tundra pads (dealership) and plain Brembo rotors (Tirerack).

I just did the 231 13wl brake upgrade, I got the rotors at the dealer for $72 each. They were 70 at kragen for $2 i thought why not go OEM. I would recomend going with the later 03'-06' caliper is bigger and better, I just put them on and did not have to grind my wheels to fit. I have a 2000 4 runner w/ 5spoke wheels

Perfect timing on this thread, I am in the process of pricing all this stuff out right now for myself.

Ian just to confirm the calipers bolt on using the stock hardware and brake lines? All info I have seen has involved replacing the stock brake hose with stainless braided line but I wasn't sure if this is necesary.

I need to find out an overall cost estimate for the finance department before I go ahead with this. The warped rotors are begining to bug the wife as much as me so its going to be an easy sell.

I used the stock bolts that hold on the caliper. You will need 4 new pins that hold the pads in the caliper($3 each and the dealer). 4 clips on the end of the pins ($.07 at the dealer, yes 7 cents). And 4 "W" shaped springs they hold the pads apart and stop squealing ($2 each at the dealer). You can use the OEM brake lines if you want i upgraded to SS Goodrich lines from wheeleroffroad.com. (2" lift 4-runner $60 ish) SO in all Rotors $72 each at the dealer, $110 calipers Kragen each, Ceramic pads $34 Autozone, fluid $6, Pins and clips $21. optional brake line up grade $100 (i did the rear too.)

Thanks Ian, I'll call my local dealer and parts store for some Canadian prices but that gives me a very good shopping list to start with and a ball park price.

Just so everyone knows.... I think part of my problem with my 98 4Runner was the wrong pads. There is an "upgraded" pad available from Toyota, that in conjunction with new rotors (Bendix), has completely eliminated the brake pulsing that I was experiencing. I was totally ready to upgrade the calipers and rotors to Tundra (pre TSB), but then someone at the local brake shop asked if I had tried the OEM upgraded pads. I replied that I hadn't. He said something like.... Look, if Toyota went to the trouble of making an "upgraded" pad, to evidently address a problem, wouldn't you like to try that before you go and completely redesign the braking system with parts that may or may not have been designed to work together? I figured, it couldn't cost much time or money to try it, and lo and behold it works.

I got the pads from CruiserDan, took about 40 minutes to replace pads and rotors, and it stops like a dream. I'll try to dig up the part number for the pads and post it here in case anyone else wants to go that route.

Luke

I would be interested in that p/n. Please do post it up.

Toyota part number appears to be 04465-35240.

Thanks LukeZero for that part number post up. I will be needing brakes soon and now I am equipped to intelligently ask for the upgraded pads. I am hesitant to do the entire Tundra upgrade as the brakes on my (new to me) 3rd gen are significantly improved already compared to those on my (old and no longer owned) 95-2nd gen.

I would not drop the $48 for the stock/upgraded pads the Tundra Set up rocks.... but its your money and time.

So, I'm kinda a newb to the 3rd gen, 4runners. Did some come with bigger brakes? Only reason I ask is that my 96 limited stops great, and I tried a set of 15" rims and they have major interferance with the calipers. Does this mean that I have the bigger brakes? Or did the 4runners just come with larger front disks than the tacomas?

Thanks,

jetboy

Ironic that the 'oversize' brakes you get with 16" wheels still aren't entirely adequate. Makes you wonder about the brakes on standard models with 15" wheels.

Steve
'98 4Runner with warped rotors and 'oversize' brakes

Steve- I realize there are advocates of the Tundra brake swap, some of them are here in this thread... but I whole-heartedly recommend the better pads. I've gotten great performace from them with out the hassle of a swap.

Ps. I get plenty of time fabricating and inventing stuff for the 45- I needed the 4Runner to be reliable and back on the road promptly. If you're not relying on the 4Runner for daily transportation, you might decide to do the Tundra swap.

Luke

I DD the 4runner this is why i went tundra, I wanted to spend 2hr changing the brakes and not have to worry about it any more. I agree the fj40 need the attentions not the 4runner. I just wanted to be able to stop, here in LA you need good brakes. now when i tow the 40 there is no shacking under hard braking.

ps the Abs works fine.

I did the Tundra brake swap this AM before work in 1 hour, 15 min, including bleeding, etc. I used new Toyota pads (of the correct pre-TSB size), used Tundra calipers (not rebuilt), and once-turned Toyota Tundra rotors from eBay. Total cost around $100 - calipers were freebies. So far, the pedal feel is fine, there's no rotor warp, and the job was a true bolt-on - no mods needed anywhere. I'll bed in the pads and then see how well it stops. The rotors were lightly turned and had almost 2mm above the min. thickness spec, so I think I'll be ok there. They were too good a deal to turn down. I decided to use Toyota pads, as I've never had squeal or noise issues with genuine Toyota pads, and have with some other brands.

Steve

What is your rim setup? You had the 16" rims already?

That's the biggest factor for me at the moment, I need to replace my brakes but I don't want to have to upgrade my wheels to allow for the bigger Tundra calipers. Very curious about your results though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom