Non-auxiliary lighting wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been searching Google all day, and can’t find a single result that’s relevant to my question. I know someone out there has installed HID lighting ballasts without wiring them to the battery terminal for power.

The only options I can find for connecting HID ballasts for power are:
  • Connect directly to battery positive terminal
  • Connect directly to fuse box where power from battery connects
I have 2 HID ballasts - 1 for each headlight - each with an input power line that connects to the battery with a ring terminal.

I want to do 2 things:
  1. Connect these 2 input power lines into 1.
  2. Connect them to the fuse box instead of directly to the battery (or to something other than directly to the battery).
I have a GMRS radio that actually requires direct-to-battery wiring for performance. Leaving the 2 HID power lines means I’ll have 3 ring terminals connected to the battery, and that looks sloppy and cheap as s***. Not acceptable.

how can I safely and cleanly accomplish the above 2 tasks?

I assume I can’t simply snip the ring terminal off 1 HID power line and connect that line to the other. Do I need a thicker gauge line? How do I calculate exactly what is needed for the wire to connect the 2?

What options do I have for 2?

Thanks!

Run an aux fuse box.

Probably a stupid question (trying to learn more about electrical) would I just put a big ass 30amp fuse in that box for the HID power cables?

I know the fuse box would wire directly to the battery, then have a set of fused connections for auxiliary tools like the HID lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom