Noisy Differentials. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the Diffs (or both) is noisy on my 1992 HDJ80 with factory e Lockers. I have got to do some diagnosis (remove the front prop and engage centre diff lock) to see whether it is front or rear or both but I wondered if anyone had rebuilt the factory locking diffs and what sort of a job it is. Hoping to get away with the side bearings and setting the pre-load (think this is Shim adjusted), hoping that the crownwheel or pinion are not worn badly.

Hope someone can offer simme suggestions and advice.

David.

Yep checked that (also had Toyota check it when I first got the vehicle) and no evidence of swarf in the oil.

I know I have also got to change the front right Birfield ( or at least clean and repack) as it has started clicking - not sure if that could cause the whine but I don't think so.

harveya said:
David.

Yep checked that (also had Toyota check it when I first got the vehicle) and no evidence of swarf in the oil.

I know I have also got to change the front right Birfield ( or at least clean and repack) as it has started clicking - not sure if that could cause the whine but I don't think so.

bierf with problems, maybe can cause the whine .. but more a Clak Clak Clak sound ... in my experience.

In my HJ-60 I had some years ago an whine in my transfer .. then 20 k km ahead, with no other problems, rebuilt it with no damage advice in gears, only some bearings ready to retire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom