Noisy diesel engine. . . well noisy-er (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I had found a great deal on a parts truck, but when running it makes a knocking noise.

I am not sure what model it is, but the truck is a 1979, looks exactly like my fj40 and the motor is original. The last time the guy had it out he overheated it (it ran dry) let it cool down filled it back up and drove it home. Now it makes this noise. I might add that the slave went so he was starting the truck in gear to get home

He wants $1500 cdn for the truck.

The frame is good, tub ok but some rust, cowl and front are good but banged up. Has 6" lift installed axles are still on top of springs. And has a big winch on the front

Is this rig a bit overpriced?

Any ideas on what the noise could be.

Are these motors expensive to buy parts for?

I thought I had found a great deal on a parts truck, but when running it makes a knocking noise.

I am not sure what model it is, but the truck is a 1979, looks exactly like my fj40 and the motor is original. The last time the guy had it out he overheated it (it ran dry) let it cool down filled it back up and drove it home. Now it makes this noise. I might add that the slave went so he was starting the truck in gear to get home

He wants $1500 cdn for the truck.

The frame is good, tub ok but some rust, cowl and front are good but banged up. Has 6" lift installed axles are still on top of springs. And has a big winch on the front

Is this rig a bit overpriced?

Any ideas on what the noise could be.

Are these motors expensive to buy parts for?

The cruiser would be a BJ40
The engine doesnt sound too good but the rebuild kits are under a $1000 plus machining and assembly costs. Im assuming its a B or 2B 4cyl diesel.

The knocking noise could be a dozen things but tell the owner it has probably spun a main bearing and needs a new crank;)

If the winch is good and its a Warn then the price isnt too bad but its hard to say without pics or more info.
Whatever the final price ,you will have to plow a lot more cash into it.

The pics are just bad, there is nothing growing through the truck, that is just leaves sitting there from the fall(sitting under some oak trees) At most there might be some mold from all the spilled beer. the floors are ok.

I think I will offer him $1000. the lift kit is worth most of that

get him to pay you , it ha s a B motor the winch is in horrible shape
look around save your money you can buy a good one and i mean drivable inspection passing for 4000 and up
good luck

I am sure there is but I don't want to drive to BC to get one

Its probably worse than a spun crank bearing. Sounds like a dropped precup. Count on a new piston, and head.

The good news is that the alternator and starter are worth a few hundred. That and the lift kit might make it worth parting out.

Consider how much time & money you'll have to drop just to make that truck roadworthy and you'll be into it for at least $2500. That is strictly a parts truck man... nothing more. Its beat...

boy those are nasty pics!

So far so good, Have the springs and axles pre-sold for $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom