Nitto Exo Grappler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hard to find much information about Nitto Exo Grapplers. I was not sure between Nitto Ridge Grappler and Exo Grappler in 285/70R18 but in the end, I decided to order EXOs hoping that I will not need to get a dedicated winter tire. I've had Trail Grapplers on a Jeep and Terra Grapplers on a 4Runner and they were both good tires so I am hoping the Exo will be as advertised.

Anyone care to share any experiences/feedback with the Nitto Exo?

Last edited:

^ A rare first-person user opinion based on experience with both Exo and Ridge Grapplers.

Last edited:
For reference/comparison

On stock Dunlop Grandtrek AT23 285/60R18 tires :
p3944203274-5.jpg

From ground to center of the front driver side wheel:
p3944205714-5.jpg

p3944203278-5.jpg

Last edited:
@gaijin
In your expert opinion what would be the correct tire pressure for Nitto Exo Grappler tires in LT 285/70R18:
LT 285/70R18
127/124Q E BSW
Thanks!

On the drive back home from Discount Tire, I did not feel any rubbing. Pretty quiet and smooth ride.
A bit better, less floaty handling. A definite improvement in handling in my opinion.

Pretty happy about the ~1.5” more ground clearance too.

Last edited:
@gaijin
In your expert opinion what would be the correct tire pressure for Nitto Exo Grappler tires in LT 285/70R18:
LT 285/70R18
127/124Q E BSW
Thanks!

I assume you will be using these on your LC200, right?

The RCTIP for LT285/70R18 E 127/124Q tires on your LC200 is 38psi F/R.

HTH

Thanks. I‘ll check the pressure and make sure it’s 38 psi.
Yes, the tires were installed on my LC 200 earlier this afternoon.

Discount Tire guys had the tire pressure set to ~48 psi. After reducing it to 38 psi as @gaijin suggested the ride is even more compliant. Very happy with these tires so far. I was scared of the E rating, but they don’t feel harsh at all.

Looks great! I think that’s the perfect 200 tire size.

Yes, they look quite proportional to the vehicle I think.
Your build threads were mainly the reason I decided to get this size. So thank you for that :)

BP51 suspension is next. I am hoping for a minimal lift for a low Center of gravity setup.
I hope Slee can work some magic on that front.

Last edited:
After a 500 mile road trip at mostly highway speeds, the tires handle well but there is certainly a noticeable hum due to their relatively aggressive tread pattern.
Did a bit of off roading too and the tires performed very well.
I am hoping they’ll perform well in rain and snow/ice too.

I ran the EXO on my Tacoma and I was really happy with their snow performance(RWD in Colorado). I gave them to my sister when I got my LX an they are holding up well for her and work well for her. Not offloading but she has to go out in pastures for farms year round for work. Only reason I went with the Wildpeaks was to try something different.

Its been snowing today and I got a chance to test the snow performance of Nitto Exo Grapples. I have to say for an non-dedicated winter-tire they perform very well in snowy conditions. Not sure how they’ll do in icy conditions, but for snowy conditions they are serviceable. I mean they are not quite upto the level of Nokian or Blizzaks but they are very good for an AWT designated tire.

Its been snowing today and I got a chance to test the snow performance of Nitto Exo Grapples. I have to say for an non-dedicated winter-tire they perform very well in snowy conditions. Not sure how they’ll do in icy conditions, but for snowy conditions they are serviceable. I mean they are not quite upto the level of Nokian or Blizzaks but they are very good for an AWT designated tire.

Can you run nokian’s in warmer temps or are they far too soft?

I have defender’s on now but thinking about getting a dedicated winter tire for driven ski trips to Colorado.

Nokian make some all-weather tires which obviously can be used all year, but their dedicated winter tires hakkapeliitta while great in cold weather are too soft when temperatures are above 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

any updates on any rubbing on this setup?

There is rubbing on full steering lock. It does not bother me. Last summer I went on several off-road trails and never felt any rubbing during articulation.
Personally, I am happy with the setup and will not change it unless something much better comes along.

@gaijin
LT 285/70R18
127/124Q E BSW
Thanks!

Hey man,

Just email Nitto directly. They'll take the recommended tire pressure for your factory tires to support the factory load on those same tires, then they'll use the required contact patch area for the exo grapplers in that particular size, and they'll use that to calculate the tire pressure required to bear the now known weight present on each tire with the appropriate contact patch area.

If you're vehicle using P rated tires at 38psi from the factory placard, the LT tires could be sitting around 50-60 psi to wear properly and minimize heat buildup.

Hey man,

Just email Nitto directly. They'll take the recommended tire pressure for your factory tires to support the factory load on those same tires, then they'll use the required contact patch area for the exo grapplers in that particular size, and they'll use that to calculate the tire pressure required to bear the now known weight present on each tire with the appropriate contact patch area.

If you're vehicle using P rated tires at 38psi from the factory placard, the LT tires could be sitting around 50-60 psi to wear properly and minimize heat buildup.

Sorry, but you are just making s**t up.

I suggest you read the monograph published by Toyo Tires (owner of Nitto) about how to calculate RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for LT-Metric tires on a vehicle that came with OEM P-Metric tires - link here: Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables

The RCTIP I stated above is correct - using the Guidelines, you can do the math yourself to confirm.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom