Next Step (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 69' with original F and 3 on the tree. I have recently lifted it with BDS 4" and put 33s on it. It drives fine around Denver but the instant I hit a hill it simply doesnt have the power. I am assuming it has the stock 4:11's in it. So what should I do? Get new gears in the difs, get a 4 or 5 speed transmision, or do I have to go v8? I dont want to go 80 as some others, simply be able to drive into the mountains without pissing off all the other drivers behind me. Thanks all.

I drove an even heavier FJ55 with an F and three on the tree, 33's, and the stock 4.10 gears.

I didn't have too much of a problem, and I wasn't afraid to rev that motor to nearly 3500 rpm for long climbs. It wasn't a speed demon by any means but it wasn't too bad.

Are you sure that motor is putting out all it can? Maybe you need to tune it up, adjust the valves, check the timing, change the air/oil filters and the oil, and what not. Couldn't hurt, either way!

Was everything fine before the lift and tires? I so, I would go for the v-8 swap. You should be able to find a good 350 for a couple hundred and pull the rest of what you need from a pick and pull yard. There is a great yard here in Colorado Springs. For that matter get an SM420 also and do that.

When I got it, it was stock other than it had 31's on it. It was better but still extremely slow up hills. Also, how on earth would I know how high in rpm it is, the speedo doesn’t work and definitely doesn’t have a tach. Thanks.

get a cheap tach from an auto accessories store, you can get them to read the pulses in your wiring, and you only have to wire it to the fuse block (at least mine is)

I run a 350 with a 700R4 and love it. However, anyone that's going to tell you the conversion is cheap hasn't done one, or they're a very good mechanic. Too many things can go wrong, period. I just had to cut my entire engine and tranny out and move it all forward, because some Conversion Cowboy came to the rodeo. I didn't realize it when I bought it, sort of an impulse buy.

Point is, the straight 6 has power, not fast at all, but your gears and tranny play into that. Don't know about the F, but I had a 79 with a 2F running on 5 cylinders and it still got me to work, (sort of). Check everything else, Carb (buying a carb is cheaper than an engine conversion), get a header, whatever you can BEFORE you dick with converting. Conversions are worth it though, so it all falls down to personal preference. Good Luck.

One thing you could check is the compression on the engine, it should be at 160 each cylinder. mine is at 130 so It has lost some power. Also, my timing and carburator need to be adjusted. When I had it all tuned up I had no problems going up hill. The engine probably just needs some love. :D

- Rico.

And before I put a 350, I would try to find a good 2F and put it in. I know some guys running 35's with lower gears and they go pretty much anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom