Newly acquired M416 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My trailer project is a bit backwards in chronology. I don't have an off-road camping vehilcle, but will be building a trailer slowly for such uses. Why? Well, I figured its a pretty good practice surface. I've never done body work, I've never really welded with purpose, etc. I can wrench on suspension, etc, so its a practice ground.

Picked it up in Dayton Ohio, drove it 300mi north to Michigan. New NDT's, new wiring harness by previous owner. I rewired to a standard 12v harness from Tractor Supply until I have time to put the 12v bulbs in the military housings. Frame is ok, some flaking, but solid. Tub has surface rust. Overall pretty decent given what I paid.

I immediately looked for a tarp. I'll chronicle my experience with that in a separate thread.

So, here it is in current form. In the pics, the military lights are already removed.

P1020587.jpg

P1020588.jpg

P1020589.jpg

Noise and Security

Noise was a concern with the pintle/lunette. I thought I'd try this:
P1020592.jpg

Just an old bike innertube. Ziptied to start with. Wrapped tight. Ziptied to end. Tight fit to Pintle. No noise. None. We'll see how long it lasts.

Also, I was concerned about security. Found a hitch-lock and pin lock at a local auto store. Common key. The hole in pintle was slightly small but a few seconds with proper drillbit cured that. I attached the pinlock to the pintle with a small chain. So far, so good.

P1020593.jpg

The trailer looks like it's in real good shape. Good luck to you on your build.

The trailer and vinyl cover will be getting a shakedown next week. Going fly-fishing in Canada (700mi north of Detroit) for a week. So, after a 1400 mile trip, the durability of the tarp will be tested.

As for the innertube, after short drives, I can see some abrasion. I didin't clean the sharp spots on the pintle hitch (there is a seam from the casting). The lunette fits snugly in the pintle. I don't think it causes any binding. It's worth it anyway, as there is absolutely NO noise from the system now.

From experience... You will want to remove the inertube. The first really sharp corner you go around you will bind and there will be a very loud boom when that thing lets loose. I bound mine up without the rubber and I thought I blew the rear end. Shook the whole truck. My buddy, three truck lengths ahead of me, stopped and ran back to see what the trouble was. If it works for you, great but just watch the really tight turns that bring the trailer to a 90 degree angle to the truck.

I cut down an old radiator hose that has a 2" ID to slip over my combo pintle/ball hitch. It really quiets the noise. When off road I remove it for maximum articulation.

I like the pin lock. Didn't realize there was such a thing. Will have to find one now.

Noise was a concern with the pintle/lunette. I thought I'd try this:
P1020592.jpg

Just an old bike innertube. Ziptied to start with. Wrapped tight. Ziptied to end. Tight fit to Pintle. No noise. None. We'll see how long it lasts.

Good luck with that ;p.. I tried the same thing and after a few miles on the road it got shreded to bits...

After a 700+ miles I found that the front is what got shreded the rest was fine.. I think if you put electrical tape right where the picture shows the pintle hook /lunette it will hold a lil better but I doubt it will survive an entire trip......

The pin-lock is a part of a combo set I found at Advanced Auto, (Checker, equivalent). Its actually for a standard trailer coupling. The pin was about .1mm too big for the pintle, so I just drilled out a bit using standard drill bit. The combo was nice, as both the hitch lock, and the pin-lock are keyed alike (same key). I think Northwestern tool sells them too, as does a local Tractor Supply Co.

I was always worried about the security of the pintle, but this resolves it for me.

Good luck with that ;p.. I tried the same thing and after a few miles on the road it got shreded to bits...

After a 700+ miles I found that the front is what got shreded the rest was fine.. I think if you put electrical tape right where the picture shows the pintle hook /lunette it will hold a lil better but I doubt it will survive an entire trip......

The trailer just returned from its 1400 mile maiden voyage. I'll report back the status of the tube and cover as soon as i get pics.

i also put the inner tube. have yet to try it out, but i could see how it can bind. without it, its a fairly snug fit...and the overlapping rubber can get pretty thick, reducing the amount the ring can move about in the hook.

i also scored the same coupler & receiver lock combo. also had to bore out the original pin hole, but it fits. im working on using the receiver pin lock to sandwich 2 plates above & below the ring to lock it. this way, when i get back to camp, the trailer will still be there.

nice score on the trailer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom