Newby (to this board) with a question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the board here but have been a member of Yotatech and 4x4wire for some time. I have a question about my 1998 Hilux Surf (4Runner).

Recently I went from the stock 16" rims and tires to a 17" set up. I have noticed a very slight wiggle at 100kph and a bouncing action which is not speed specific but happens during higher speeds on wavy or bumpy road surfaces.

Are my tires in need of balancing again?

Should I have a full 4 wheel alignment done as well?

thank you for any help,

Chris

ps. I am cduff7 on the other forums mentioned above. I am still stationed in Japan too.:)

Well, if you didn't notice that with your 16" rims, I'd imagine it would have to be your new rims. I don't think alignment has much to do with it, so just get the balancing done and see if that solves the problem.

Also, with shorter sidewalls, you will notice a stiffer ride.

I am thinking another balancing job but also heard from a reputable source that when you inch up or inch down with rims your camber changes as well. I am thinking maybe I should do a four wheel alignment at Autobacs.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate the response.

I agree w/ Pnut...most likely a balancing issue
Just my .02 worth

I'm not sure how a 16 inch or 17 inch rim makes any difference as wouldn't it be the overall height of the tire and not the rim size?
My guess is either your 17 inch rims are not true or depending on the size of rubber, bigger size the more likely it is untrue and needs balancing.
Depending on the tire you chose or the quality you might have gotten you might have a poor tire.
I had a couple 285/75R16 goodyears that were horrible in that they needed a lot of weights to try and balance them. If they are out of round not much you can do with them other than pursue some warranty or replacement.
When they put new tires/rims on they usually put the 2 worst combos on the back as well which can be a problem when you rotate them as then you will get the less true ones up front where you will notice them more.
my 2 cents

In addition to what Duane said, you could try swapping wheels back to front and see if it makes a difference......

I'm not sure how a 16 inch or 17 inch rim makes any difference as wouldn't it be the overall height of the tire and not the rim size?
My guess is either your 17 inch rims are not true or depending on the size of rubber, bigger size the more likely it is untrue and needs balancing.
Depending on the tire you chose or the quality you might have gotten you might have a poor tire.
I had a couple 285/75R16 goodyears that were horrible in that they needed a lot of weights to try and balance them. If they are out of round not much you can do with them other than pursue some warranty or replacement.
When they put new tires/rims on they usually put the 2 worst combos on the back as well which can be a problem when you rotate them as then you will get the less true ones up front where you will notice them more.
my 2 cents

I am sorry I should have mentioned the new tires ar Nitto Terra Graplers - they equal a 32" tire - so I went up in size a little. I think the station where I had them put on (Eneos) did not even balance them.

I need to get all four balanced - as I can not see any weights on them at all (checked inside and outside the rim.

From others that use that same tire that i have talked to say they balance and ride better than they expected!! no ill handeling!! No weights at all could be a very good reason :D your truck is having issues and i would get alignment done from someone whom knew how to align a truck, they should be willing to give you before,after, and OEM speced measurments to see where your truck was aligned before and after alignment all ya need to do is ask them for a print out ! if they would not do that i would take my business to someone that would!! My Toyota dealear has no issues with this and i feel no one else should either!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom